Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: North Korea confirms second underground nuclear test

  1. #1
    Senior Member Smurf-Herder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Quantum Vacuum
    Posts
    12,776

    Default North Korea confirms second underground nuclear test

    CNN, just had a breaking news story on it ............ now all the cable news networks have gone into taped show mode.

    North Korea confirms 'successful' nuclear test
    Seoul
    May 25, 2009 - 11:16AM

    North Korea staged a "successful'' underground nuclear test on Monday, the communist state's official media said.

    The North "successfully conducted another underground nuclear test on May 25 as part of its measures aimed at strengthening its self-defence nuclear deterrent in every way'', the Korean Central News Agency said.

    The test will "contribute to safeguarding our sovereignty and socialism and guaranteeing peace and safety on the Korean peninsula and the surrounding region'', it said.

    The four-paragraph story gave no details of the location.

    South Korean officials said a tremor was detected around the northeastern town of Kilju, near where the first test was conducted in October 2006.

    http://www.watoday.com.au/world/nort...0525-bk7j.html
    Last edited by Smurf-Herder; 05-24-2009 at 11:02 PM.
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!"

  2. #2
    Senior Member Smurf-Herder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Quantum Vacuum
    Posts
    12,776

    Default

    From last week:

    MAY 20, 2009

    Get Ready for Another North Korean Nuke Test
    Iran could soon be following Pyongyang's example.

    By JOHN R. BOLTON

    The curtain is about to rise again on the long-running nuclear tragicomedy, "North Korea Outwits the United States." Despite Kim Jong Il's explicit threats of another nuclear test, U.S. Special Envoy Stephen Bosworth said last week that the Obama administration is "relatively relaxed" and that "there is not a sense of crisis." They're certainly smiling in Pyongyang.

    In October 2006, North Korea witnessed the incredible diplomatic success it could reap from belligerence. Its first nuclear test brought resumption of the six-party talks, which gave Kim Jong Il cover to further advance his nuclear program.

    Now, Kim is poised to succeed again by following precisely the same script. In April, Pyongyang launched a Taepodong-2 missile, and National Security Council official Gary Samore recently confirmed that a second nuclear test is likely on the way. The North is set to try two U.S. reporters for "hostile acts." The state-controlled newspaper calls America "a rogue and a gangster." Kim recently expelled international monitors from the Yongbyon nuclear complex. And Pyongyang threatens to "start" enriching uranium -- a capacity it procured long ago.

    A second nuclear test is by no means simply a propaganda ploy. Most experts believe that the 2006 test was flawed, producing an explosive yield well below even what the North's scientists had predicted. The scientific and military imperatives for a second test have been strong for over two years, and the potential data, experience and other advantages of further testing would be tremendous.

    What the North has lacked thus far is the political opportunity to test without fatally jeopardizing its access to the six-party talks and the legitimacy they provide. Despite the State Department's seemingly unbreakable second-term hold over President Bush, another test after 2006 just might have ended the talks.

    So far, the North faces no such threat from the Obama administration. Despite Pyongyang's aggression, Mr. Bosworth has reiterated that the U.S. is "committed to dialogue" and is "obviously interested in returning to a negotiating table as soon as we can." This is precisely what the North wants: America in a conciliatory mode, eager to bargain, just as Mr. Bush was after the 2006 test.

    If the next nuclear explosion doesn't derail the six-party talks, Kim will rightly conclude that he faces no real danger of ever having to dismantle his weapons program. North Korea is a mysterious place, but there is no mystery about its foreign-policy tactics: They work. The real mystery is why our administrations -- Republican and Democratic -- haven't learned that their quasi-religious faith in the six-party talks is misplaced.

    Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently rejected "linkage" in Russia policy as "old thinking." Disagreement in one area, she argued, shouldn't prevent working on "something else that is of overwhelming importance." Whatever the merits of linkage vis--vis Russia, de-linking a second North Korean nuclear test from the six-party talks simply hands Pyongyang permission to proceed.

    Even worse, Iran and other aspiring nuclear proliferators will draw precisely the same conclusion: Negotiations like the six-party talks are a charade and reflect a continuing collapse of American resolve. U.S. acquiescence in a second North Korean nuclear test will likely mean that Tehran will adopt Pyongyang's successful strategy.

    It's time for the Obama administration to finally put down Kim Jong Il's script. If not, we better get ready for Iran -- and others -- to go nuclear.

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124277648950937029.html
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!"

  3. #3
    Senior Member Smurf-Herder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Quantum Vacuum
    Posts
    12,776

    Default

    Hey, this is a joke.

    What do yu do when someone violates a UN Resolution?

    You write another Resolution.



    UN Security Council Condemns N. Korea Nuke Test; Begins Work on New Resolution

    By Margaret Besheer
    United Nations - 25 May 2009

    The U.N. Security Council has condemned North Korea's carrying out of a nuclear test as a "clear violation" of existing council resolutions, and says it will begin work immediately on a new resolution.

    The emergency meeting of the 15-member council lasted less than an hour. Afterwards, diplomats emerged with a united voice saying they opposed and condemned Pyongyang's latest defiance of international law.

    U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice would not say if the resolution the council will begin drafting would carry new sanctions, but she said it should be strong, with appropriately strong contents.

    "The U.S. thinks this is a grave violation of international law and a threat to regional and international peace and security," said Susan Rice. "And therefore, the United States will seek a strong resolution with strong measures."

    France's deputy ambassador, Jean-Pierre Lacroix, said his country believes new sanctions are necessary.

    "The French national position is that this resolution should include new sanctions, in addition to those already adopted by the Security Council, because this behavior must have a cost and a price to pay," said Jean-Pierre Lacroix.

    Japan, which has been at the forefront of urging strong council action on North Korea and called for Monday's emergency meeting, said Pyongyang's nuclear test was a serious threat to regional and international peace and security, but also to the authority and prestige of the Security Council.

    Russia and China have traditionally been North Korea's strongest allies on the council. But Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, who chairs the council this month, criticized Pyongyang's actions as contrary to U.N. resolutions, the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

    "We are one of the founding fathers, Russia is, of those [the NPT and CTBT] documents," said Vitaly Churkin. "So we think they are extremely important in current international relations. So anything which would undermine the regimes of those two treaties is very serious and needs to have a strong response to it."

    The Chinese government issued a statement saying it resolutely opposes the test.

    Early Monday, North Korea confirmed it had conducted an underground nuclear test. In 2006, it performed a similar test that resulted in the adoption of a U.N. Security Council resolution sanctioning it.

    In April, North Korea launched a test rocket that the United States, Japan and others said was cover for a ballistic missile test. The Security Council condemned that as well, tightening existing sanctions, but not adopting a new resolution.

    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who is a former South Korean foreign minister, also condemned North Korea's action. In a statement, the U.N. chief "deeply deplored" the underground nuclear test as a "clear and grave violation" of Security Council resolutions and urged Pyongyang to "refrain from taking further actions that would increase tensions in the region."

    http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-05-25-voa47.cfm
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •