Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what makes you beleive or not beleive in God

Blog Entries

Default what makes you beleive or not beleive in God

I consider Myself an atheist sometimes even a culture warrior and the last few years I spend a lot of time thinking about religion

I think what did it for me is reading the bible a lot of it are just about disgusting,
    killing the first born child in every Egyptian family
    its OK to keep a Jewish slave for 6 years
    sending bears to rip off the arms of children
    stoning children
    putting people to death for working on Sunday
    and of course there is that small matter of evolution
    and the earth being less then 12000 years old

I could go on and on

but you look around and think..... could all these Billions of people be wrong
    am I the only one who See's this

look at all the Church's built. all the people who have in my opinion wasted their lives as priests and nuns and suicide bombers

I'm an avid student of religion.

That, of course, will make an atheist of anyone.

But I'm not an atheist - I think saying you believe or disbelieve in god is irrelevant.

We don't call people a-greencheesers because they don't believe the moon is made of green cheese.

stefan segal

Tommy...you asked one question, then gave your personal answer to another.

If you wanted to answer: "Is the bible the word of god?", is a very different question than: "Do you believe in god?"

That the christians hijacked Jewish history, Babalonian paganisms, and tacked on jesus history...redacted vast portions for national securiety, edited and opined about what was left...copied it, bound it, then proclaimed it "the word of god"...is the choice of morons...but we are rich in those types.

That one views the miraculous in nature, the birth of any new life, the rebirth in Spring and the dearth of universal justice and meaning...throws many of us into the camp of: "god moves in mysterious ways."
    They feel they must believe in god for two reasons: the first is that nothing so magnificently complex could occur without some super intellect engineering it in the background...and the second, is that they can't concieve of the notion that nothing has a beginning or an end.

The idea that one's "brown-eyed Bess" began as the energy contained in atoms of hielium and hydrogen jillions of light years ago and so far away...cannot be embraced even long enough to see that energy progress/evolve into fair Bess...so it's safer to shitcan it immediately and substitute an "answer" that requires no thought...even disuades questioning, but only requires a 'yes'.
    Bess...began in sin...we all know that...thrashing that sperm-stem around in front of her so to be mother...sinful!
    Where does one choose a beginning...before the big bang...or when her sainted mother rode her father, whipping his shanks with jesus nailed on his rigged cross, yelling "harder...faster !"?

Most of our population opts for the second event to measure Bess's beginnings.

There was a primative tribe who's whole counting system consisted of: 1, 2, 3,...many,"

I believe our culture has much the same structure to explain our reality: "The weather, Clinton, government...act of god....hence...religion.

Stefan

I follow a very simple belief...I don't know...I'm not wasting time on it.

Religion is what it is, a place for people that need a crutch to justify their existence in the universe. They need fables that they can relate to and they "humanize" deities. Religion is also a hate machine that causes unnatural divisions.

The problem is that atheists have become their own brand of religion. I see atheists foaming at the mouth if they see a Christmas tree and they waste their precious time on proving their is no god...that's almost as insane as believing the fairy tales.

Even if there is some great afterlife...what an ego we have that we think we could even comprehend the infinite. IF there is a god, do you think he's going to be pissed if you didn't pray to him? Do you get pissed at ants that don't pray to you? No. So, why would some perfect being care?

Enjoy life. Don't overthink it. You'll find out soon enough.

stefan segal

My belief is not simple....but like you I won't waste time on it...I will say the notion of an anthropomorphic deity is as ignorant and childish as the easter bunny.

What really galls me and pisses me off heartily, is to have these loudmouthed assholes attempt to dictate the terms of my existence here toting this mortal coil.

It's like they're shit...they stink up the whole country...let them rub against you and you go away smelling like shit also...it's hard to wash it off your life...and spreads disease and sickness everywhere it congregates.

The sanctimonous look they conjure up on their faces when they share their "wisdom"...unasked and uninvited, makes me want to puke.

I watched congress have to fight repugs who are in the pay of the xtian right, about going against that shitheel ertsaz xtian butch's executive order that killed stem cell funding. Think of it...a breakthough medical proceedure that can cure so many diseases afflicting so many lives...but instread of embracing this wonder...it gets killed by assholes who use all the authority of a 2000 year old book written by politicians with their own agenda...and they say it's the word of god...WHOSE GOD...WHAT GOD...LET HE/SHE/IT, STAND AND BE IDENTIFIED...or just shut up about it.

Stefan

If you ask "Do you believe in god?" it begs the question:
    how do you define the term "god?"

Billions of people have been brainwashed by the Big Three
    monotheistic Middle Eastern religions: Christianity, Judaism
    and Islam. Their view of god has been shoehorned into a
    traditional straitjacket.

Personally I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian god.
    I don't believe in Allah or Zeus or Santa Claus or
    any other mythical fairy tales.

I like Frank Lloyd Wright's view:

"I believe in god...

but I spell it N-A-T-U-R-E"

NATURE is the one true god,
    THE REAL GOD
    you can see and feel and hear.

Lose your Fear and You Shall Be Free - something all these damned fearing idiots that bow to a god need to learn

imgonnaeaturlunch

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    I consider Myself an atheist sometimes even a culture warrior and the last few years I spend a lot of time thinking about religion

I think what did it for me is reading the bible a lot of it are just about disgusting,
    killing the first born child in every Egyptian family
    its OK to keep a Jewish slave for 6 years
    sending bears to rip off the arms of children
    stoning children
    putting people to death for working on Sunday
    and of course there is that small matter of evolution
    and the earth being less then 12000 years old

I could go on and on

but you look around and think..... could all these Billions of people be wrong
    am I the only one who See's this

look at all the Church's built. all the people who have in my opinion wasted their lives as priests and nuns and suicide bombers
    I appreciate your attempt to come to terms with this, as we all try to do but here's my take; they say that by the time a child is 2 or 3 years old its already been determined who they will be, so unless you were raised an atheist it's really difficult to really ever be an atheist though through free will you can try to believe anything you like just like those in communist countries who weren't allowed to hold religious services kept their belief alive in their heart & mind.

stefan segal

Blowtorch...not only is your content on target, but I must commend you on your presentation.

Having continuously fucked up my photo attempts, I have some vague notion of the time and expertese you've applied to your very professional presentations...thanks

Stefan

A Letter to Pat Robertson

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law.
    I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge
    with as many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example,
    I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an
    abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the
    specific laws and how to best follow them.

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in
    Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be
    a fair price for her?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.
    Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.
    Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations
    that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies
    to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates
    a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors.
    They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal
    with this?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she
    is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24).
    The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most
    women take offense.

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am
    confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us
    that God's word is eternal and unchanging.