Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA President says AR-15s are ‘the musket of today’

Blog Entries

Default NRA President says AR-15s are ‘the musket of today’

The president of the National Rifle Association (NRA) says that the Second Amendment was designed to protect the right to own muskets and the AR-15 military-style assault rifle — like the one used to slaughter 20 children in Newtown — is just “the musket of today.”

“This nation was founded as a result of the fact that people – citizens – who had a musket above the fireplace grabbed the gun when an emergency confronted them,” NRA President David Keene told Ginni Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, in an interview published by The Daily Caller on Sunday. “For four million Americans, the AR-15 is the musket of today.”

“You hear some of the gun controllers saying, ‘Well, the Second Amendment only applied to muskets, it didn’t apply to AR-15s or semi-automatic pistols or semi-automatic shotguns, for that matter.’ That was handled by the Supreme Court in the Heller decision. That was the technology of the day. The technology of this day is different, and those guns are as protected by the Constitution today as the single-shot musket in the 1780s and 1790s.”

Keene pointed out that the AR-15 was the “civilian semi-automatic platform that the Army uses” and if President Barack Obama was successful at banning it, “that would make people less safe” and “take the firearms of over four million people who are law-abiding citizens and punish them because two or three people misused a firearm.”

In fact, the bill recently introduced by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) would ban the sale, transfer, manufacturing and import of 158 types of semi-automatic assault weapons, but it does not propose confiscating “firearms of over four million people.”

According the The History Channel a well-trained minuteman could fire up to three shots per minute with a Revolutionary War-era musket. The Bushmaster AR-15 used by Newtown shooter Adam Lanza was capable of firing 45 rounds per minute or more.

Writing for the majority in the District of Columbia v. Heller decision, Justice Antonin Scalia noted that “the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

“Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those ‘in common use at the time; finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.”

Watch the video below from The Daily Caller, broadcast Feb. 3, 2013.Raw Story (http://s.tt/1zm7k)
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

And the National Guard is the 'militia' of today.

Obama was correct, they 'cling' to their guns and bibles

One percent of murders are committed with rifles and THIS is where the Democrats focus is? ....

We all know that Obama voters in liberal cities are where the real murder problem is, not rural America as the Dems would have you believe.

If you didn't vote Libertarian ... quit bitching.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    One percent of murders are committed with rifles and THIS is where the Democrats focus is? ....

We all know that Obama voters in liberal cities are where the real murder problem is, not rural America as the Dems would have you believe.
    What happened to your brain? Concussion? Born this way?

Blog Entries

Pls refer to the cartoon in my signature..............
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Blog Entries

Actually 3-4% but still admittedly negligible. But its all red herring anyway because the same people freaking out over their ar15s would literally shit bricks if they thought their handguns were being targeted.
    The defense of morals is the battle-cry which best rallies stupidity against change. -- Alfred North Whitehead

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby View Post
    Pls refer to the cartoon in my signature..............
    No, libs rely on cartoons and comedians for their information. I'd rather refer to the Constitution which clearly spells out the right for citizens to own, at a minimum, military grade rifles.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.

I dunno BD, by that logic one could say that cities are more densely packed, so more shootings.

It's a definate problem, I don't even honestly think gun control is going to help, I think I read there was hundres of millions of boxes of ammo -there isn't any shortage of guns.

I do agree this is prolly futile -about as futile as changing our warlike culture - we also love our guns. Seems to be all the rage.

I get the feeling of the Dutch kid who tries to put his finger in the damn - there are just too many crazies out there with guns.
    Unfortunately for responsible gun owners, they are going to have to live with more background checks, and smaller magazines.
    Will it make any difference? Doubtful. It's just something we have to try - though i think nothing will change.

At least you ( not you personally) have the 2nd - so one is guaranted the right to bear arms, albeit not so freely.

I hate seatbelt laws -i'm sure I told you about the time NOT wearing one saved my life, but i put up with it, because ..well it's impossible to talk your wayout of a ticket.
    Society just demands things are tried once they reach a critical mass - we're there, and the popularity of gun control is overwhlming.

Cosmo, we did the assault weapons ban from 94 to 04. Studies show it had no effect. So we have already tried it.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.