Thread: Good Sunni/Shia map

Default Good Sunni/Shia map

Really shows ya something.

And we just gave Iraq to the Shia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tribution2.jpg

Yirmeyahu

Iraq is predominantly Shia. Sunnis are the minority.

I thought that the Sunnis were the majority. Either way it seemed like a bad idea to give the country to religious sect with much stronger ties with Iran. We put Saddam in power to war with Iran. Now we removed him and turned Iraq into a nation that will be more friendly to Iran and less friendly to the USA.
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

Historical Tax Chart

People's Budget

Brain Washing In America

Quote Originally Posted by SirMoby
    I thought that the Sunnis were the majority. Either way it seemed like a bad idea to give the country to religious sect with much stronger ties with Iran. We put Saddam in power to war with Iran. Now we removed him and turned Iraq into a nation that will be more friendly to Iran and less friendly to the USA.
    Shia are the numerical majority in Iraq, concentrated in the southeast and baghdad, along the river basins leading to the sea.

I think the numbers are roughly 60% shia, 30% sunni, 10% kurds.

I wondered if this map might not be old, and not reflect the population shifts in Iraq as the result of the invasion.

The shia control the best access to the sea, a lot of the best fresh water, and the lions share of the developed oil fields.

Altho, the southern shia oil fields have old infrastructure, and need investment to operate.

Only the sunni oilfields in the west of iraq are almost completely undeveloped. So the sunni are sitting on oil, but they can't pump it.

If the shia oil ministry doesn't pass the oil law, or do other things that would allow the sunni to develop their virgin fields, all the shia have to do is wait out the americans, and then take the sunni's oil.

I'm not sure where the western fields might be but what would happen if Syria were to build a pipeline for the Sunnis? The Med Sea doesn't look like a great path for moving oil but it's another way and at $100 barrel it seems like it might be tempting.
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

Historical Tax Chart

People's Budget

Brain Washing In America

I think they are planning to build two gas pipelines to supply natural gas hungry europe, one thru syria, one thru turkey, to take natural gas from the Akkas field in Anbar province.

Gas is easier, cheaper, and quicker to move than crude.

Supposedly Russia is pissed off about this, because it undercut's the leverage russia has thru it's gas supply to europe. Europe is moving swiftly to diversify it's energy holdings and energy infrastructure, because it got a scare a few years back when russia started nationalizing all it's petro infrastructure.

I haven't heard much about oil pipelines to the western sunni side of Iraq. It will almost certainly eventually happen, if the sunni's keep control of their oil - syria will want to take a cut of that sunni oil, when it is finally developed. I think the sunni's will fight to keep the shia from grabbing that oil - rght now, the shia are just starving them out from development money, much like they are doing with food rations, infrastructure, and medical care.

But when the US is gone, the I suspect the shia will use force to create lanes of access to the oilfields, and bring in corporations, or possibly iran and china, to develop the oil under shia rule.

Who knows if the shia will allow syria to build an oil pipeline. Supposedly they blocked the plans for the turkish and syrian gas pipelines, at least at first.

But negotiations are continuing, and turkey says it plans to become a petroleum hub for all of europe.

Yirmeyahu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think the numbers are roughly 60% shia, 30% sunni, 10% kurds.

I wondered if this map might not be old, and not reflect the population shifts in Iraq as the result of the invasion.
    I suspect as much. Also, it's a very broad map and not really designed to show the precise population densities in Iraq itself, just kind of a broad picture of it all.

But, yes, I think the percentages you just gave are approximately correct. I'm sure we could Google the CIA factbook to confirm that, but I don't personally feel it necessary to do so. Like I said, I think those numbers are probably quite accurate.