Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Was The Jewish Religion Started?

Question When Was The Jewish Religion Started?

I'm assuming that the Christian Religion was started around the year 1 AD or at least the first century of our calendar. I know it didn't become popular for centuries but that's another story.

When was the Jewish Religion started?

When was the Muslim Religion started?
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

Historical Tax Chart

People's Budget

Brain Washing In America

You'll get different dates for Judaism - but most agree some of the judaic behaviors start around 800bc, solidify around 400bc. The modern jewish texts and practices actually evolved between 100bc and 400ad - essentially the same times as christianity.

Islam starts about mid-500ad, becomes well established by about 700ad.

LadyMod at scam.com

Quote Originally Posted by SirMoby
    I'm assuming that the Christian Religion was started around the year 1 AD or at least the first century of our calendar. I know it didn't become popular for centuries but that's another story.

When was the Jewish Religion started?

When was the Muslim Religion started?
    Israel became a "chosen people"

Sometime around Deuteronomy 14:2 which was written roughly around the time of Josiah- speculation puts that sometime between 640 - 609 BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_as_a_chosen_people

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/47874

The Muslim religion:

Muhammed was born in Mecca around 570AD. He, apparently, liked to collect concubines and booty, most of which came about while conquering the Arabian Peninsula. Food for thought from the Koran / Qur'an- "As for those who are slain in the cause of God, he will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state: He will admit them to the Paradise he has made known to them" (Qur'an47:6)"When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads and when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly."(47:4)

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-6134.html

Lady Mod

LadyMod at scam.com

Something else: This is pretty interesting Moby.

http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-causes.htm

Factors that caused Muhammad to reject Christianity and start his own religion:

It is obvious from reading the Qur’an, that it is a book of human origin, being a jumbled mess of fantasy and myth. In this document, we will examine the key factors that cased Muhammad to reject Christianity and invent Islam.

Islam: Truth or Myth?

#1: Muhammad learned Monotheism from Christians.
    See also for more detail: Muhammad learned monotheism from Christians

The evangelism and preaching by Christians is the primary #1 cause of the rise of Islam. Arabs were "late bloomers" when it came to rejecting polytheism and adopting monotheism. While much of the world had rejected polytheism, Arabs, like late blooming adolescents finally gave up their eternal history of paganism.... thanks to the direct influence of Christians.

Muslims today believe the myth that Muhammad introduced monotheism to the area around Mecca and Arabia in general. The truth is that Muhammad got tired of the Christians constantly preaching monotheism to him fellow Arabs, knowing in his heart, that they were correct in their criticism of Arab paganism. There can be little doubt that Christians, in their evangelism of the are around Mecca, charged the Arabs with paganism and polytheism. Christians criticized those worshipping 260 pagan gods at the Kabah and offered Christianity as a far superior monotheistic religion. In his heart, Muhammad knew the Christians were right and had a better religion of monotheism. But some Muslims today, are totally ignorant of the fact that monotheism was widely preached before, during and after the rise of Muhammad, by the Christians. It was a well known theology and the Arabs were familiar with it. Amazingly, today Muslims criticize as polytheists, the very one’s who taught Muhammad about monotheism!

The Meccans had numerous contacts with Christians. (Muhammad's Mecca, W. Montgomery Watt, Chapter 3: Religion In Pre-Islamic Arabia, p26-45)
    Meanwhile the seed of monotheism had been sown all along the Arabian Peninsula. ... The time was ripe for a religious revival. (Islam and the Arabs, Rom Landau, 1958 p 11-21)
    Muhammad was only one of several preachers of monotheism in the Arabia of his day. (Islam: Muhammad and His Religion, Arthur Jeffery, 1958, p 85)
    "the religious situation of Arabia, and particularly of Mecca, as it was at the end of the sixth century, there must have been many serious-minded men who were aware of a vacuum and eager to find something to satisfy their deepest needs." (Muhammad at Mecca, W. Montgomery Watt, 1953, p 23-29)
    In brief, in the sixth century after Christ, the majority of the people of Arabia were still pagans, but monotheism was spreading steadily. The time was ripe for the Arabs to abandon their superstitions in favour of a more spiritual and monotheistic conception of God. (The Life and Times of Muhammad, John Bagot Glubb, 1970)

More at link.

Lady Mod the person who wrote that artical was trying give Christianity way too much credit for the rise of Arab monotheism.

By the time Muhammad was born there were already several Arab Jewish tribes living in and around Mecca and Medina in the area we now call Saudia Arabia. They had been living in this area for a long, long time.

In fact the story of Abraham, Hagar, and Ishmael takes place the Bible says in the land of Paran. (Saudia Arabia). Which shows that Jews had been in that land since Abraham.

Three if the largest Jewish Arab tribes at the time of Muhammad were the Banu Qurayza, Banu Nadir, and the Banu Qainuqa. ("Banu" meaning "the tribe of" )

So what I am trying to say, is that any monotheistic influence upon Muhammad or the Arab people. Came because of their contact with their neighbors and fellow Arab Jewish brothers. They had interacted and intermarried for hundreds of years.

There were No Arab Christian tribes in the Arabian desert.
    Last edited by Islam Rocks!; 02-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.

most agree some of the judaic behaviors start around 800bc, solidify around 400bc.
    What is your source for this, Bill?

What "judaic behaviors" are they referring to? Animal sacrifice and worship at the Temple? Keeping kosher? Having the king read the Torah aloud to the populace at Rosh Hashanah? Convene a Sanhedrin?

David Segal

LadyMod at scam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Islam Rocks!
    Lady Mod the person who wrote that artical was trying give Christianity way too much credit for the rise of Arab monotheism.

By the time Muhammad was born there were already several Arab Jewish tribes living in and around Mecca and Medina in the area we now call Saudia Arabia. They had been living in this area for a long, long time.

In fact the story of Abraham, Hagar, and Ishmael takes place the Bible says in the land of Paran. (Saudia Arabia). Which shows that Jews had been in that land since Abraham.

Three if the largest Jewish Arab tribes at the time of Muhammad were the Banu Qurayza, Banu Nadir, and the Banu Qainuqa. ("Banu" meaning "the tribe of" )

So what I am trying to say, is that any monotheistic influence upon Muhammad or the Arab people. Came because of their contact with their neighbors and fellow Arab Jewish brothers. They had interacted and intermarried for hundreds of years.

There were No Arab Christian tribes in the Arabian desert.

OK, I am definitely not an expert. I thought that twist interesting.

The question was when did the Jewish religion start? That is really hard to say since I don't think they called themselves Jewish? And according to this Rabbi it started 1312BC. I think that would be the year anyway.

http://www.askmoses.com/article.html?h=174&o=181226

Rabbi Shlomo Chein: Judaism as an official religon began 3319 years ago (this year being 5767, 2007).
    Judaism didn't start like other religions where you had one individual, be it Jesus or Muhamud, who claimed to have a revelation and then started a faith... in Judaism every Jew witnessed the revelation of G-d at siani
    The same for the Muslim religion. Although common belief is that the religion itself became a religion with Muhammed. Right? Then the start of the spread of Islam would have been around 610 AD when he was about 40 years old.

That would be after the birth of Christ and the Christian religion started. So, maybe he could have been influenced by what he saw?

Truly, Moby would need to narrow down what he means by Jewish and Muslim religion to get really accurate. LOL. I just posted what I could find on my Internet searches.

Lady Mod

Year 1 in Islam is year 622 by our calendar.

That's the year of the Hijra (immigration) When Muhammad and his small band of followers were forced out of the city of Mecca, and went to live in the city of Medina.

LadyMod at scam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Islam Rocks!
    Year 1 in Islam is year 622 by our calendar.

That's the year of the Hijra (immigration) When Muhammad and his small band of followers were forced out of the city of Mecca, and went to live in the city of Medina.
    LOL, well I was close.

LM

Muhammad's first wife Khadijah had an older cousin named Waraqah.

Waraqah was a Christian, and Muhammad knew him well..

When Muhammad recieved his first revelations from God.
    His wife contacted her cousin and asked him what he thought.

Waraqah was very religious and had been waiting for an Arabic prophet.

He told Khadijah that her husband Muhammad was the long awaited Prophet to the Arabs.

Some people think that Waraqah was the early Christian influence in Muhammads life.