Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Should stereotypes and racial slurs be taught in school?

Quote Originally Posted by Environment Man
    Because there isn't enough content for a class.

There are only a couple of handful of offensive things.

It really is common sense.

If somebody is stupid, it will reveal itself.

But aggressive or sneaky racism is easily detectible.

Such as the NBC incident.
    Not enough content? Their are centuries of offensive slurs, stereotypes portrayals, etc to go over.

That NBC promo was shot and filmed before anyone knew who that girl was, not to mention was pre-determined to roll at a given time. Only someone who is constantly thinking about racism and is up to date on all their history of racism would be able to spot that in advance. That will take an extensive education.

Quote Originally Posted by kres24GT
    Many people do not make all these connections. Either due to ignorance or just because they do not spend there time with racism on the brain.
    Then they should go to work and go straight home to their white community.

Stay away from other ethnic and racial individuals.

Some people are just goofy and just should not even try to figure it out.
    DCJ President
    RK77 on Eman: Eman is the most annoying FUCK I have run across on the internet--- BAR NONE!
    Tutonic: Environment Man employs illeism to project sarcastic, grandiose conceit for comic effect, but it is a hackneyed schtick.
    BC to E-hater: You sir will never, ever defeat Eman-N-E-V-E-R!! Not playing his game. He is playing you. I would think he might get bored of it after a while but he still seems to enjoy himself.

It seems like we expect everyone to know every stereotype, racist joke, ethnic slur, and racial image from history and apply that to every thing they do in their lives. To make sure we don't accidentally offend someone with racial messages, must we not make it required learning to know all slurs and stereotypes?
    IMO - that would be validating the “stereotypes and slurs”. I would take it on an individual basis. Most people know when they are being offense then play dumb like they didn't know.

However, if you’re in a situation where you feel that someone might be offended, then don't say it. Or, you can ask the people around you if they are offended by certain "slurs or stereotypes" you say about them.

If there are "slurs or stereotypes" about people not in your circle, then I’d use caution before blurting out anything. You can always ask someone, probably people here on this board if certain words are offense to them. If all else fails, Google "slurs &/or stereotypes" and be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ64
    IMO - that would be validating the “stereotypes and slurs”. I would take it on an individual basis. Most people know when they are being offense then play dumb like they didn't know.

However, if you’re in a situation where you feel that someone might be offended, then don't say it. Or, you can ask the people around you if they are offended by certain "slurs or stereotypes" you say about them.

If there are "slurs or stereotypes" about people not in your circle, then I’d use caution before blurting out anything. You can always ask someone, probably people here on this board if certain words are offense to them. If all else fails, Google "slurs &/or stereotypes" and be prepared.
    If you say "most people should know better" you are saying "everyone should know" and at the point you have to educate people to what is and is not offensive to who.

Of course, people insult each other all the time.

Particularly on this board.

If I call TTQ 'honey,' she might take offense or she might not.

My risk.
    DCJ President
    RK77 on Eman: Eman is the most annoying FUCK I have run across on the internet--- BAR NONE!
    Tutonic: Environment Man employs illeism to project sarcastic, grandiose conceit for comic effect, but it is a hackneyed schtick.
    BC to E-hater: You sir will never, ever defeat Eman-N-E-V-E-R!! Not playing his game. He is playing you. I would think he might get bored of it after a while but he still seems to enjoy himself.

If you say "most people should know better" you are saying "everyone should know" and at the point you have to educate people to what is and is not offensive to who.
    Why don't we just take the goofy stupid out back and shoot them?

Then they won't have a problem with this.
    DCJ President

Fuck that.

I don't want to hear that word coming out of the mouths of whites for any reason.

It is shouting 'fire' in the theater.

And for the State to try to fuck it down my throat is just wrong.

And yet, your religion, with it's "holy" book teaches unbridled racism.....go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Telos
    And yet, your religion, with it's "holy" book teaches unbridled racism.....go figure...
    Oh?

Please share.
    DCJ President

Oh?

Please share.

ahhhh....you've never read that "holy" book.....

Why don't we just take the goofy stupid out back and shoot them?

Then they won't have a problem with this.
    You are still contradicting yourself, you claim everyone should know what is offensive and what isn't, yet you oppose teaching it. I am sure you are older than I am, when we were kids ethnic stereotypes and slurs were all over the place, so we all know them, but in today's PC world that is not the case. Our kids may no the n word or some derogatory terms to call Hispanics, but they have no concept of things like black face or monkeys being equated to blacks, probably don't know what a WOP or a SLOPE is. They aren't exposed to these things like we were.