Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red State/Blue State Comparisons

Default Red State/Blue State Comparisons

Once upon a time I made a thread called "Red State/Blue State Comparisons" and it was very popular, even though it was trolled to death. The political site it was on isn't around anymore. It focused a lot on the economic realities, but always carried the theme that there are ideological differences that contribute to those economic realities.

I brought up many subjects like: regressive verses progressive state taxes, minimum wage differences and themes producing the 100 poorest counties in the United States.

I'm going to start it off this time with a simple comparison of where federal tax dollars are spent and how they are spent, so let's review the bottom of this chart:

The Tax Foundation is not a liberal organization and I would characterize it's agenda to be reducing taxes. Federal tax dollars have to be spent somewhere and the data on the bottom of the image chart simply shows in which state the federal tax dollars are spent verses the taxes the federal government receives per individual. We can get into a state by state comparison later with links to government sources, but let it be said that tax dollars can be spent many ways, such as military bases or whatever the federal budget permits, but they are spent somewhere and money doesn't disappear just because it is spent. The money changes hands and fuels an economy, because the hands receiving the money mostly place that money in other hands.

My first point is simply, if we are going to cut government spending is it fair for one state to have it's citizens pay so much in taxes and not have the advantage of having that tax money spent in their state? I live in a Blue State that has citizens who receive federal spending at 77% for the taxes they pay. I believe if those Red State people want to cut government spending, the spending ought to be cut in their states, because they get more than we do and they are the ones crying about federal government spending.

Here are two links that can updated every year in September to track federal spending in each state:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/fas-10.pdf

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/cffr-10.pdf

The links no longer track food stamps, but that information can be obtained by monthly reports.

Let's play the GOP game of "cutting government spending!" I live in a very small state and it's citizens are paying much more in taxes than what are spent here. Just below us in the chart is the most populous state of California. It's time to play "give it up, fool." I'm willing to cut federal government spending in my state by giving Dover Air Force Base to New Jersey, because they are sending more taxes to the federal government per capita than they receive in spending, than we do. Yes, it will hurt the economy of my state to lose that federal spending, but we will survive and it's a small sacrifice from a small state. It's time for the Red Staters to put something in the pot of "cutting federal spending", so what are you willing to give up in your state?

We're probably not in the situation of hurting as much as some of the other states. I believe the subsidy for ethanol is ending, but if it comes up for renewal that, as well as some of the other subsidies could be reviewed and possibly reduced. I am not unilaterally for ending all of them as it does contribute to our lower food prices throughout the nation,

I believe I reviewed the site you allude to in the past as well, and hopefully someone will pick up where they left off.

Yet another misleading 'visual aid' for the board retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen
    Gee, that's a shame you felt "misled" !
    meangenes

What is misleading about it? Federal taxes have to come and go somewhere, don't they?

Since Red Staters are so anxious to cut government spending, it's only fair to start cutting it in the states receiving more than it's share of federal spending first.

So explain yourself. What is misleading?
    "Our tax code shouldn’t give an advantage to companies that can afford the best-connected lobbyists. It should give an advantage to companies that invest and create jobs here in America." — President Obama

Provide the numbers to support that this is misleading.

Or is this yet another misleading 'false comment' by the board retards?
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

Historical Tax Chart

People's Budget

Brain Washing In America

Quote Originally Posted by Moby
    Provide the numbers to support that this is misleading.

Or is this yet another misleading 'false comment' by the board retards?
    This is the guy who's obsessed with his closeted desire to MILF. You seriously think you're really going to get an honest response from him?

Figure 5.
    Federal Aid to State and Local Governments, Per Capita Amounts by State, by Agency: Fiscal Year 2010
    Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/fas-10.pdf

Alaska receives the most per capita spending at around $4,700 per individual.

Figure 5.
    Federal Government Expenditure, Per Capita Amounts by State, by Major Object Category: Fiscal Year 2010
    Source: http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/cffr-10.pdf

Alaska receives the most per capita spending at around $17,800 per individual.

People in Alaska also get paid oil money. It seems odd how the Alaskan people are portrayed by Sarah Palin as being so independent, when they are in fact very dependent on the federal government.

The county of Wade Hampton, Alaska is listed the 8th poorest county in the United States based on per capita income. The 100 poorest counties in the United States are counties dominated by large populations of Native Americans, Hispanics, southern Blacks and Appalachian Whites.

100 lowest counties by per capita income

Number of counties by state in the 100 poorest counties: Texas, 17; Kentucky, 16; Mississippi, 14; South Dakota, 10; Louisiana, 5; Alabama, 4; Georgia, 4; Montana, 4; New Mexico, 4; North Dakota, 3; Arizona, 2; Idaho, 2; Nebraska, 2; Tennessee, 2; West Virginia, 2; Alaska, 1; Arkansas, 1; Colorado, 1; Florida, 1; Missouri, 1; Oklahoma, 1; South Carolina, 1; Utah, 1; Wisconsin, 1. Twenty-six states do not have any counties in the 100 poorest counties.

100 lowest counties by median household income

Number of counties by state in the 100 poorest counties: Kentucky, 29; Mississippi, 13; Texas, 10; Alabama, 7; Arkansas, 7; South Dakota, 6; West Virginia, 6; Louisiana, 5; Georgia, 3; Missouri, 3; Oklahoma, 3; Tennessee, 2; Colorado, 1; Hawai'i, 1; North Dakota, 1; New Mexico, 1; South Carolina, 1; Virginia, 1. Thirty-two states do not have any counties in the 100 poorest counties.
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Blog Entries

talk to me about proportional spending cuts, and $ received, when somebody actually has the desire to produce a budget.

we can't even pass a budget, and you want to start proportionality? Good luck with that