Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: undocumented immigrants protest: "undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid,"

Blog Entries

Default undocumented immigrants protest: "undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid,"

Declaring themselves "undocumented, unapologetic and unafraid," two college students were arrested by Philadelphia police Wednesday after a boisterous street protest that snarled traffic for more than an hour.

Tania Chairez, 19, a University of Pennsylvania sophomore, and Jessica Hyejin Lee, 20, a junior at Bryn Mawr College, planted themselves atop two banners they put in the roadway at 16th and Callowhill Streets at 3:15 p.m. and refused to move. The spot is directly in front of the Philadelphia offices of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the deportation police known as ICE.

Chairez, whose parents brought her here as a young child from Mexico, and Lee, whose parents brought her here from South Korea, are illegal immigrants. Speaking through bullhorns, they said their act of civil disobedience was designed to encourage undocumented people "to come out of the shadows" and demand universal human rights
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

God, I love their gumption....they've lived here all their lives while the republican party exploited their parents by allowing them in the nation to lower American wages...you go, girls....fight back against the right wing anti-American worker banner.
    WELL, I GUESS THE BORN AGAIN EVANGELICALS PROVED THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS. GOOD. NOW LET'S STOP THIS BS RELIGION/GOVERNMENT THINGY AND TAX THESE ORGANIZATIONS TO THE MAX.

They're not the brightest sort...I wouldn't be surprised if they, as well as their parents get deported.

The United States isn't a free for all, neither are most Westernized modern countries...try and pull a stunt like this in Norway, Austria, or Switzerland and they'd surely get deported after spending some time locked up behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilifier of Zombies
    They're not the brightest sort...I wouldn't be surprised if they, as well as their parents get deported.

The United States isn't a free for all, neither are most Westernized modern countries...try and pull a stunt like this in Norway, Austria, or Switzerland and they'd surely get deported after spending some time locked up behind bars.

Well, I wouldn't say the US was ALWAYS against illegals...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3537569.stm

Immigration tops Bush-Fox talks
    George W Bush with Vicente Fox at his ranch
    Mr Bush chauffeured Mr Fox into an elite club of world leaders
    Mexican President Vicente Fox has joined US President George W Bush at his ranch in Texas for talks set to centre on immigration issues.

The meeting follows a recent pledge by Washington to ease immigration controls for Mexicans entering the US for short-term periods.

Analysts say Mr Bush wants to court the vital Hispanic vote ahead of November's presidential elections.

But some members of Mr Bush's own Republican Party oppose the move.

Click here to see where illegal immigrants come to the US from

Although the US economy needs migrant labour, some Republicans do not want to be seen to be rewarding those who have broken the law to travel to the US, the BBC's Jon Leyne in Washington reports.

Since the 11 September 2001 attacks the focus in the US has been on tightening border security, not easing controls.

. . .
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...385044,00.html

Using Illegal Labor to Clean Up after Katrina
    Gulf Coast Slaves

By Roberto Lovato in New Orleans and Gulfport, Miss.

Halliburton and its subcontractors hired hundreds of undocumented Latino workers to clean up after Katrina -- only to mistreat them and throw them out without pay.
    Info
    Did a subsidiary of Halliburton employ illegal workers to help clean up New Orleans?
    REUTERS

Did a subsidiary of Halliburton employ illegal workers to help clean up New Orleans?

Arnulfo Martinez recalls seeing lots of hombres del ejercito standing at attention. Though he was living on the Belle Chasse Naval Base near New Orleans when President Bush spoke there on Oct. 11, he didn't understand anything the ruddy man in the rolled-up sleeves was saying to the troops. Martinez, 16, speaks no English; his mother tongue is Zapotec. He had left the cornfields of Oaxaca, Mexico, four weeks earlier for the promise that he would make $8 an hour, plus room and board, while working for a subcontractor of KBR, a wholly owned subsidiary of Halliburton that was awarded a major contract by the Bush administration for disaster relief work. The job was helping to clean up a Gulf Coast naval base in the region devastated by Hurricane Katrina. "I was cleaning up the base, picking up branches and doing other work," Martinez said, speaking to me in broken Spanish.

Even if the Oaxacan teenager had understood Bush when he urged Americans that day to "help somebody find shelter or help somebody find food," he couldn't have known that he'd soon need similar help himself. But three weeks after arriving at the naval base from Texas, Martinez's boss, Karen Tovar, a job broker from North Carolina who hired workers for a KBR subcontractor called United Disaster Relief, booted him from the base and left him homeless, hungry and without money.
    You republicans LOVE them illegals...because you HATE the american worker so much.
    WELL, I GUESS THE BORN AGAIN EVANGELICALS PROVED THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS. GOOD. NOW LET'S STOP THIS BS RELIGION/GOVERNMENT THINGY AND TAX THESE ORGANIZATIONS TO THE MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Parker
    God, I love their gumption....they've lived here all their lives while the republican party exploited their parents by allowing them in the nation to lower American wages...you go, girls....fight back against the right wing anti-American worker banner.
    What part of "illegal" don't you understand you fucking moron? You even have other liberals on here that would disagree with you. That's how dumb you are. I wouldn't be surprised if you were an illegal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Parker
    You republicans LOVE them illegals...because you HATE the american worker so much.
    You're a fucking moron! ILLEGAL. SPELL IT! I-L-L-E-G-A-L!

Blog Entries

Gee what would Liberal Rick Perry do??
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen
    What part of "illegal" don't you understand you fucking moron? You even have other liberals on here that would disagree with you. That's how dumb you are. I wouldn't be surprised if you were an illegal too.
    That's just stupid.

I'm against the death penalty for murderers. Does that mean I'm probably a murderer?

Jesus.

Some of the bullshit that gets spewed on this board isn't even solid.

The Tea Party loves America. The problem is it's an Ike Turner kind of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen

So, I know you on the right have this war on women thingy going on so your attacks on me you justify by this war, but show me where I said I condoned it. Would you? I merely pointed out how the republican EXPLOITED this labor and did NOTHING about it because it was lowering wages on Amerian workers and taking jobs from American workers...

You fucking moron.