Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Bother!

Default Don't Bother!

We watched a bunch of oscar nominated movies yesterday.

The Help is overrated. It's condescending. It's corny. It's historically inaccurate and it insulted my intelligence.

The Descendents is outstanding and hopefully it will win Best Picture.

Moneyball is really good too.
    The Artist is a beautiful film.

I know I am bumping my own thread here but I am a little disappointed that no one here is interested in the oscars?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie D
    I know I am bumping my own thread here but I am a little disappointed that no one here is interested in the oscars?
    Not since Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane
    Not since Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain, no.
    I thought Crash sucked too.

I guess I should be clear. It's not the show but the movies themselves. Just hoping to generate some discussion about it I guess.

Well, I can really only speak for myself... I'm just not a movie guy. I find the moviegoing experience overrated. Hell, most of the DVD's I own are TV show box sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane
    Well, I can really only speak for myself... I'm just not a movie guy. I find the moviegoing experience overrated. Hell, most of the DVD's I own are TV show box sets.
    It looks like most of the people here aren't into the movies either. Oh well.

We watched a bunch of oscar nominated movies yesterday.

The Help is overrated. It's condescending. It's corny. It's historically inaccurate and it insulted my intelligence.

The Descendents is outstanding and hopefully it will win Best Picture.

Moneyball is really good too.
    The Artist is a beautiful film.

I beg your pardon. I found the Help to be engrossing. Viola Davis is a shoo-in for Best Actress (actually bolstered by Meryl Streep's "behind-the-scenes" campaigning), and Octavia Spencer is a sure bet to win Best Supporting Actress.

I would like to know how The Help is historically inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by poet
    I beg your pardon. I found the Help to be engrossing. Viola Davis is a shoo-in for Best Actress (actually bolstered by Meryl Streep's "behind-the-scenes" campaigning), and Octavia Spencer is a sure bet to win Best Supporting Actress.

I would like to know how The Help is historically inaccurate.
    It was whitewashed. There's no way that book would've sold in that town during that time. That's just one example.

There was not even the slightest hint that maids were being subjected to rape or the fear of it. Another example.

I don't need to list any more examples. I think it could've been an outstanding movie with much more compelling stories than the ones told in that movie. It was a huge disappointment to me.

It was whitewashed. There's no way that book would've sold in that town during that time. That's just one example.

There was not even the slightest hint that maids were being subjected to rape or the fear of it. Another example.

I don't need to list any more examples. I think it could've been an outstanding movie with much more compelling stories than the ones told in that movie. It was a huge disappointment to me.

How do you know that the book wouldn't have sold?

Rape? What are you talking about? Are you saying that the normal course of action, in 60's Mississippi, was black women in fear of being raped by white men?

And the movie is among those nominated for best picture. It was, obviously, an "outstanding movie".

Quote Originally Posted by poet
    How do you know that the book wouldn't have sold?

Rape? What are you talking about? Are you saying that the normal course of action, in 60's Mississippi, was black women in fear of being raped by white men?

And the movie is among those nominated for best picture. It was, obviously, an "outstanding movie".
    I didn't say the *normal course of action* was rape. But in '60's Mississippi black maids had reason to fear being raped in the households where they worked because it happened frequently enough.

The climate in '60's Mississippi would've been hostile to such a book and its writers would've been sought out, punished and/or run out of town. Or worse.

I don't need the Academy to tell me whether or not the movie is outstanding. The two women leads did a superb job but that doesn't mean the film isn't lacking because it is.