Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A World Without Religion

Default A World Without Religion

I am an atheist who does not believe in religious tolerance. I believe (yes, I recognize the irony) that the burden of worth, truth and proof lies with the actual religion, not the individual. Most religions are a scourge; they breed nothing but ignorance and preach nothing but intolerance.

If this were not true, terrorists would not use Islam as a weapon, the KKK would not use Christianity as a weapon, Qi Gong practitioners would not need to give up their organs to wealthy Chinese, good Catholic boys would never be touched by their priests and 15 month old boys could have hope for the future.

Religion should never be given the benefit of the doubt. Just because it worships one god over another, claims past miracles or fulfilled prophecies and is exempt from taxation, does not mean that your one religion is more likely to purify your soul over another.

In so many ways, I feel so very sorry for any child that is not allowed the freedom of choice in their own spirituality. If religion truly were the individual pursuit for spiritual purification or perfection, it would be personal, not congregational, and no country or family or child would be labelled under it.

Without religion women would be free from their idiotic repression in the Middle East.
    Without religion people would be more concerned with what they did with their lives, rather than what they avoided.
    Without religion the strongest and most divisive form of segregation would be dissolved and many wars and borders would become irrelevant.
    Without religion stem cell research could continue uninhibited and cure many debilitating diseases.
    Without religion the scourge of AIDS and other STDs would be controlled by a condom.
    Without religion, people wouldn't pray for peace, they would work towards it.

Donít get me wrong here Holy Rollers; I understand that going to church or mosque or synagogue has a positive influence on a great number of people. I suggest though that this has a lot more to do with there being a social congregation of like-minded people than there actually being any spiritual connection or closeness to one deity or another.

Answer this, apart from social interaction, what does your religion actually do for you that you couldnít for yourself?

"When truth becomes unpatriotic, patriotism becomes worthless."
    -BlackAsCoal

"It doesn't have to be real science".
    -Gary

"Eman is a fictional character."
    -Environment Man

"Individual liberty is first and foremost. The rest will fall in place."
    -Bosco

Blog Entries

Why would an atheist post by the name rastaman???
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Blog Entries

Because he is a boob.

You can refer to him as "Pastaman" for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    Why would an atheist post by the name rastaman???
    Because "RASTAMAN" IS A PROUD UNAPOLOGETIC ATHEIST.

A healthy DOSE of atheism benefits the world and human race around the globe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman
    Because "RASTAMAN" IS A PROUD UNAPOLOGETIC ATHEIST.

A healthy DOSE of atheism benefits the world and human race around the globe.

DO you even know what "rasta" is????
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

I was curious about that myself.

Blog Entries

Apparently he does not know what a Rastafarian is. The irony is just to much.

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman
    I am an atheist who does not believe in religious tolerance. I believe (yes, I recognize the irony) that the burden of worth, truth and proof lies with the actual religion, not the individual. Most religions are a scourge; they breed nothing but ignorance and preach nothing but intolerance.

If this were not true, terrorists would not use Islam as a weapon, the KKK would not use Christianity as a weapon, Qi Gong practitioners would not need to give up their organs to wealthy Chinese, good Catholic boys would never be touched by their priests and 15 month old boys could have hope for the future.

Religion should never be given the benefit of the doubt. Just because it worships one god over another, claims past miracles or fulfilled prophecies and is exempt from taxation, does not mean that your one religion is more likely to purify your soul over another.

In so many ways, I feel so very sorry for any child that is not allowed the freedom of choice in their own spirituality. If religion truly were the individual pursuit for spiritual purification or perfection, it would be personal, not congregational, and no country or family or child would be labelled under it.

Without religion women would be free from their idiotic repression in the Middle East.
    Without religion people would be more concerned with what they did with their lives, rather than what they avoided.
    Without religion the strongest and most divisive form of segregation would be dissolved and many wars and borders would become irrelevant.
    Without religion stem cell research could continue uninhibited and cure many debilitating diseases.
    Without religion the scourge of AIDS and other STDs would be controlled by a condom.
    Without religion, people wouldn't pray for peace, they would work towards it.

Donít get me wrong here Holy Rollers; I understand that going to church or mosque or synagogue has a positive influence on a great number of people. I suggest though that this has a lot more to do with there being a social congregation of like-minded people than there actually being any spiritual connection or closeness to one deity or another.

Answer this, apart from social interaction, what does your religion actually do for you that you couldnít for yourself?
    There is no institution of man that is not capable of being corrupted to perverse ends, including but certainly not limited to religion.

There is no scientific discovery worthy of mention that could not be directed to very destructive ends. And yet we do not conclude that science is intrinsically destructive.

If we were to throw out the corrupters of religion - which I will confess are very many - I would say to you that religion at its best provides a common approach and a supportive community for living a genuine life of self introspection, awareness and expansion.
    Man cannot be anything other than what he is. Whatever he is, he will create a society that mirrors him. -- U.G. Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco
    Because he is a boob.

You can refer to him as "Pastaman" for this post.
    No not at all. Atheist are FREE THINKERS.

I have been saying the Pledge of Allegiance for years now (Since 1974) by eliminating the "Under God" wording.

"One Nation Indivisible With Liberty And Justice For All".....Notice the word "Under God" has been eliminated! The Under God propaganda was added sometimes during the 1950's, however, the original Pledge of Allegiance was written leaving out "UNDER GOD"!!!

In fact anything that happens good or bad in the world or in someones life.....All thanks-praise or blame should go to MOTHER NATURE!!! After all the forces of earth is much more powerful than any God of which was created by non-free thinking humans.

The world would be so much better off and in better condition if the 7 billion people who inhabit the Earth praised and respected MOTHER NATURE. Worship the Air, Moon, Water (rivers, oceans, lakes) the Sun, Fire, Volcanoes, Tornadoes, the Forrest, Dessert, the Grasslands, the Mountains, the Jungles, and every living species known and not yet discovered.