Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: today Komen for the cure reversed itself

Default today Komen for the cure reversed itself

suddenly declaring that it would only cut grants for orgs under CRIMINAL investigation , from Brinker's statement, ""We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair."

but on Thursday, Komen President Elizabeth Thompson told reporters that the funding decision was unrelated to the investigation into whether Planned Parenthood was illegally using federal funds to pay for abortions.

Komen founder Nancy Brinker said the organization wants to support groups that directly provide breast health services, such as mammograms. She noted that Planned Parenthood was providing only mammogram referrals.

but when they 1st announced this decision, Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun said that the cutoff results from the charity's newly adopted criteria barring grants to organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. According to the organization, this applies to Planned Parenthood since it's the focus of an inquiry, launched by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), seeking to determine whether public money was improperly spent on abortions.

lastly an anonymous tranlation of Brinker's apology speaks volumns on the entire incident

"We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that resulted in completely unexpected scrutiny of our CEO's unconscionably high salary, obscenely high overhead to actual good ratio, longstanding links to Republican politicians, huge budget for taking oppressive legal actions against other charities that dare use the word 'cure,' vast marketing and lobbying budgets, and long-standing history of secretly lobbying against federal assistance to women with breast cancer.

Based upon the last ten years, we truly had no idea that we couldn't do whatever the hell we wanted with gullible contributors' money. We thought that the corpse of our CEO's sister was an impenetrable shield that protected all of our actions from scrutiny or accountability. We appreciate your support while we try to figure out WTF has changed.

However, although the sudden spike in scrutiny and precipitous drop in fundraising and sponsorships scared the crap out of us, we want to assure all of you that, even as we desperately attempt to salvage something out of the conflagration burning our brand to the ground, we will continue to flat-out lie to your face and generally assume you are all still such credulous imbeciles that we can shamelessly stick to obvious falsehoods or change our story from minute to minute as whim or panic dictate.

Now please stop looking into our finances, lobbying and legal activities and strong political connections with right wing politicians. Stop it right now or Susan will be angry, very angry with you. Thank you."

F those idiots. May they someday inhabit the same level of Hell awaiting people like Boner, Turtleman, Newtie, Bush, Willard, Cheney (and the thousands upon thousands more just like them).

I agree...here's more on the subject.
    Komen apologizes for taking funding away from Planned Parenthood, and promises that funding will resume uninterrrupted. Update.

Komen for the Cure just released the following statement from Nancy Brinker and the Susan G. Komen Board of Directors:

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.

The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer. Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics - anyone's politics.

Starting this afternoon, we will have calls with our network and key supporters to refocus our attention on our mission and get back to doing our work. We ask for the public's understanding and patience as we gather our Komen affiliates from around the country to determine how to move forward in the best interests of the women and people we serve.

We extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support we have received from so many in the past few days and we sincerely hope that these changes will be welcomed by those who have expressed their concern.
    I also just heard this on MSNBC so it is official.

Wow! Way to go ladies!

I am very impressed with how aggressively people spoke out concerning this outrage. I have not seen a response this fast since the SOPA outrage last month.

I still have no idea how Komen rationalized making this controversial decision in the first place, but I think this will serve as a lesson to EVERYBODY in the future to not bend to the anti-women political agendas of the Right Wing fringe, Especially when it comes to something as important as fighting cancer and supporting women's health issues.

Update: While I still believe that this is a victory for those who are fighting to improve women's health in this country, I also realize that the "cancer," if you will, that still exists in the form of Karen Handel within the Komen foundation, is still a lingering malignancy that should be removed.

However I think the only way THAT will happen is if keeping her as VP negatively impacts their funding. If you click here you can see a list of their "corporate partners" who provide the majority of their donations. Perhaps a couple thousand e-mails sent to those on this list might kick start the countdown to the end of Karen Handel, and her right wing supporters, influence on this organization.

Couldn't hurt.

Update 2: According to the Plum Line, the Komen Foundation has NO plans to change their leadership or promise to provide donations to Planned Parenthood in the future:

I just got off the phone with a Komen board member, and he confirmed that the announcement does not mean that Planned Parenthood is guaranteed future grants — a demand he said would be “unfair” to impose on Komen. He also said the job of the group’s controversial director, Nancy Brinker, is safe, as far as the board is concerned.

I asked Komen board member John Raffaelli to respond to those who are now saying that the announcement doesn’t necessarily constitute a reversal until Planned Parenthood actually sees more funding.

He insisted it would be unfair to expect the group to commit to future grants. “It would be highly unfair to ask us to commit to any organization that doesn’t go through a grant process that shows that the money we raise is used to carry out our mission,” Raffaelli told me. “We’re a humaniatrian organization. We have a mission. Tell me you can help carry out our mission and we will sit down at the table.”

Pushed on whether this means the new announcement wasn’t really a reversal, Raffaelli pushed back, arguing that Komen, in response to all the criticism, had removed politics from the grant-making process. “Is it really unclear that we’re changing the policy to address criticism?” he said.
    So Nancy Brinker is safe, as I assume Karen Handel is as well, and there is no definitive promise to continue the foundation's relationship with PP.

I think it is the appropriate time to say fuck the Komen Foundation, and, as so many have already suggested, to send out money directly to Planned Parenthood.

Here is their link to donate.
    http://theimmoralminority.blogspot.com/
    "The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

When the fate of so many rests in the hands of so few, can the failure to be accountable ever be forgiven?

Yes....they stood to lose millions if they held fast to their moronic position.

Sucks to be Bloomberg!
    "Argumentum Ad Numerum" ask your pollster about it today.

A non-reversal, reversal.

Must be baggers running the show.

Political maneuvering forced birther style. Most who are truly interested in womens health are donating directly...fuck these people (and the term 'people' is used lightly...)
    "The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

When the fate of so many rests in the hands of so few, can the failure to be accountable ever be forgiven?

Ari Fleischier had a hand in this. He got that fat bitch the veep job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanadesaga
    Ari Fleischier had a hand in this. He got that fat bitch the veep job.
    well, that's interesting.

Blog Entries

I was reading that earlier today...........

Ari???? wtf..........
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Even though Pelosi was very outspoken about it and is very wealthy she has not donated to the foundation. Pathetic.