Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Why do we elect one man/person to lead the country in a direction they want????

  1. #1
    Administrator Bill Cosby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    55,287
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default Why do we elect one man/person to lead the country in a direction they want????

    I was listening a bit ago to this guy talking about he likes the direction the Mitt is saying "he will lead the nation".............

    Who cares what "direction" or his vision etc...........

    Why is it like electing a king around here??

    Why does one man (thus far) have so much power & authority?? SEEMS NUTS TO ME........

    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

    We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

    Louis D. Brandeis

  2. #2

    Default

    Because we are creatures of habit and routines.
    The Shadow Party derives its power from its ability to raise huge sums of money. By controlling the Democrat purse strings, the Shadow Party can make or break any Democrat candidate by deciding whether or not to fund him. During the 2004 election cycle, the Shadow Party raised more than $300 million for Democrat candidates, prompting one of its operatives, MoveOn PAC director Eli Pariser, to declare, 'Now itís our party. We bought it, we own itÖ'

  3. #3

    Default

    Great topic. There is no constitutional provision designating a bully pulpit. I wish a historian would weigh in on the evolution of the primacy of the executive on that. He is required to give a state of the union, however.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctordog
    Because we are creatures of habit and routines.
    King George III redux?

  5. #5
    Senior Member anatta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    flame above the ghee
    Posts
    31,640
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    I was listening a bit ago to this guy talking about he likes the direction the Mitt is saying "he will lead the nation".............

    Who cares what "direction" or his vision etc...........

    Why is it like electing a king around here??

    Why does one man (thus far) have so much power & authority?? SEEMS NUTS TO ME........
    nothing new here, the Executive puts out his views, and we "choose from the duopoly"

    Ever hear of checks and balances? ( rhetorical) ?
    One reason the executive HAS so much power/ has so much "vision"is because Congress refuses to do anything but go into hyperpartisanship.
    They gridlock, or obstruct, or simply do not check POTUS powers.

    There are plenty of ex's in US history where the POTUS has "visons for leadership",but they have been tempered by the courts and Congress.

    Now -not so much anymore - i do agree we're moving more towards a Unitary president. what happens when the other branches abdigate their roles.

  6. #6
    Administrator Bill Cosby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    55,287
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    nothing new here, the Executive puts out his views, and we "choose from the duopoly"

    Ever hear of checks and balances? ( rhetorical) ?
    One reason the executive HAS so much power/ has so much "vision"is because Congress refuses to do anything but go into hyperpartisanship.
    They gridlock, or obstruct, or simply do not check POTUS powers.

    There are plenty of ex's in US history where the POTUS has "visons for leadership",but they have been tempered by the courts and Congress.

    Now -not so much anymore - i do agree we're moving more towards a Unitary president. what happens when the other branches abdigate their roles.
    So every four or eight years we have a new direction, a new vision, given to us by some political hack & his marketing campaign........

    Who the fuck is he to set the direction??? We got over 300 million ppl + illegals & one guy is setting the direction for all of us??

    Like me, you & monsanto got so much in common............

    It is a bunch of crap............... (Fat steamy pile here)
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

    We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

    Louis D. Brandeis

  7. #7
    Senior Member anatta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    flame above the ghee
    Posts
    31,640
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    So every four or eight years we have a new direction, a new vision, given to us by some political hack & his marketing campaign........

    Who the fuck is he to set the direction??? We got over 300 million ppl + illegals & one guy is setting the direction for all of us??

    Like me, you & monsanto got so much in common............

    It is a bunch of crap............... (Fat steamy pile here)
    so what do you think we should do??
    SOMEONE has to be the POTUS - it's in the Constitution. The executive is a unique position, 1 branch of gov't run by 1 man.

    All of which is fine sorta like a CEO, but has to work with the Board.
    You could go Parlimentaian, but you'd still have a PM.

    The problem is as I stated, thre has to be someone who implements foreign polivy/wars, and since Congress sinply abdicated any responsibility -this is what you get.

    Someone has to be king/PM/ POTUS - the problem is unfettered power, because the other branches do not "check" executive power.

  8. #8
    Administrator Bill Cosby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    55,287
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    so what do you think we should do??
    SOMEONE has to be the POTUS - it's in the Constitution. The executive is a unique position, 1 branch of gov't run by 1 man.

    All of which is fine sorta like a CEO, but has to work with the Board.
    You could go Parlimentaian, but you'd still have a PM.

    The problem is as I stated, thre has to be someone who implements foreign polivy/wars, and since Congress sinply abdicated any responsibility -this is what you get.

    Someone has to be king/PM/ POTUS - the problem is unfettered power, because the other branches do not "check" executive power.
    I think they should have less influence & certainly much less power, especially regarding foreign affairs & "the privilege" of creating war & killing ppl when "he" feels like it......

    As I have advocated- a parliamentary system where these fools can be subject to early dismissal (no confidence votes) & "the system" better reflects the wishes of the ppl instead of the 1%........
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

    We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

    Louis D. Brandeis

  9. #9
    Senior Member hd79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In The Wind!
    Posts
    15,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    so what do you think we should do??
    SOMEONE has to be the POTUS - it's in the Constitution. The executive is a unique position, 1 branch of gov't run by 1 man.

    All of which is fine sorta like a CEO, but has to work with the Board.
    You could go Parlimentaian, but you'd still have a PM.

    The problem is as I stated, thre has to be someone who implements foreign polivy/wars, and since Congress sinply abdicated any responsibility -this is what you get.

    Someone has to be king/PM/ POTUS - the problem is unfettered power, because the other branches do not "check" executive power.
    Good Post CR!

    I disagree slightly concerning Congress abdicating any responsibility. I believe that is true to an extent, but to a greater degree it is WE, the People, who have abdicated our responsibility. We are no longer an informed electorate, but rather we have allowed ourselves to become accustomed to the 30 second sound bite.

    The kids, the soccer game, what to have for dinner, as well as merely the ability to even pay the Bills, have all become what the are, all mostly due to US.

    WE should be TELLING the President what direction we want him to take the Country. WE should be telling Congress to get off their collective asses and do more than shirk and obstruct, no matter which Party's POTUS resides in the Big House!




  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    what happens when the other branches abdigate their roles.
    Vote them out for people who reassert their power to the extent you find suitable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •