Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 373

Thread: Is atheism a religion???

  1. #1
    Administrator Bill Cosby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    53,919
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Is atheism a religion???

    I hear some ppl referring to it as such..................

    How is the antithesis of religion a religion ??
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

    We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

    Louis D. Brandeis

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    I hear some ppl referring to it as such..................

    How is the antithesis of religion a religion ??
    It should be obvious, when an atheist starts proselytizing their atheism, they have turned it into a religion, Pope Bill!

  3. #3

    Default

    Is atheism a religion???

    As much as anarchy is a form of governing, to Chomsky worshipers.


    .

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    I hear some ppl referring to it as such..................

    How is the antithesis of religion a religion ??
    You can try to lump atheist in one group, but good luck. It seems to be a catch all for anyone who doesn't by in to main stream church or religion.

    Atheist can be spiritual. Hell, by some accounts, Taoist, Buddhists, are considered atheists, but most recognize them as religious.

  5. #5
    Senior Member anatta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    flame above the ghee
    Posts
    30,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daus
    You can try to lump atheist in one group, but good luck. It seems to be a catch all for anyone who doesn't by in to main stream church or religion.

    Atheist can be spiritual. Hell, by some accounts, Taoist, Buddhists, are considered atheists, but most recognize them as religious.
    Those are religions, just not religions based on a god.

    Buddhists and Taoist have belieff systems, just not an overlay of a god to beleive in (Buddhists are actually agnostic on gods -
    god is simply not germane to the Path, in any fashion)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    Those are religions, just not religions based on a god.

    Buddhists and Taoist have belieff systems, just not an overlay of a god to beleive in (Buddhists are actually agnostic on gods -
    god is simply not germane to the Path, in any fashion)
    You're making my point, atheist is used as a catch all. Atheism isn't a religion, but there are several religions that would be considered atheist. While I agree somewhat with Buddhist, many Taoists believe in different things, as it is more of a philosophy. I know Taoist Christians and Taoist Buddhists, however they are rare. You could also argue that Taoist believe in a god, he just doesn't have a human/man form.

    I know there are active atheist movements, but I would also say that many people who we would define sa atheists would not agree with what they are doing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member anatta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    flame above the ghee
    Posts
    30,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daus
    You're making my point, atheist is used as a catch all. Atheism isn't a religion, but there are several religions that would be considered atheist. While I agree somewhat with Buddhist, many Taoists believe in different things, as it is more of a philosophy. I know Taoist Christians and Taoist Buddhists, however they are rare. You could also argue that Taoist believe in a god, he just doesn't have a human/man form.

    I know there are active atheist movements, but I would also say that many people who we would define sa atheists would not agree with what they are doing.
    Yes there are even Christian Buddhists -rare, but it's not required you DON"T beleive in a god.
    Al that is required is you folow the teaching of 4 Nobel Truths, and 8 fold noble path. At minimum.
    Some choose to also believe in a god - what they call "keeping your birth religion"

    Taoism, as I understood it was that man is simply another of the things in the universe.There is no omnipotent being beyond the cosmos, who created and controls the universe. In Taoism the universe springs from the Tao, and the Tao impersonally guides things on their way.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    Those are religions, just not religions based on a god.

    Buddhists and Taoist have belieff systems, just not an overlay of a god to beleive in (Buddhists are actually agnostic on gods -
    god is simply not germane to the Path, in any fashion)
    I think the meaning of atheist has evolved to mean no religion.

  9. #9
    Senior Member anatta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    flame above the ghee
    Posts
    30,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I think the meaning of atheist has evolved to mean no religion.
    No. atheism is the rejection of a god,atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.But one can still believe in secular humanism , for ex.
    Agnostic means a god isn't important but not necessarily rejected or affirmed.

    ag·nos·tic   
    1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience. Synonyms: disbeliever, nonbeliever, unbeliever; doubter, skeptic, secularist, empiricist; heathen, heretic, infidel, pagan.
    2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.
    3. a person who holds neither of two opposing positions on a topic: Socrates was an agnostic on the subject of immortality

  10. #10

    Default

    I'll weigh in on it is not a religion. It's just living until you die.
    WELL, I GUESS THE BORN AGAIN EVANGELICALS PROVED THEY WERE NOT CHRISTIANS. GOOD. NOW LET'S STOP THIS BS RELIGION/GOVERNMENT THINGY AND TAX THESE ORGANIZATIONS TO THE MAX.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •