Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrections Corporation of America

Blog Entries

Default Corrections Corporation of America

....The proposed facility is part of the federal government's new plan to move immigrants from jails to detention centers it says are better for holding people with no criminal background. The centers are also supposed to be easier to reach for detainees' relatives and lawyers.

Plans are in the works for other facilities near San Antonio, Texas, and in Essex County, New Jersey, and Orange County, California. But none of those proposals has drawn the outrage seen in Southwest Ranches, the Fort Lauderdale suburb where telenovelas are filmed in the shaded ranches, and wealthy developers, Miami Dolphins pro football players and others seek privacy and a country lifestyle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correct...ion_of_America
    In a 2009 editorial, political comedian Bill Maher is quoted, "Prisons used to be a non-profit business... The CCA and similar corporations actually lobby Congress for stiffer sentencing laws so they can lock more people up and make more money. That's why America has the world's largest prison population -- because actually rehabilitating people would have a negative impact on the bottom line."[14]

In a 2010 Fox News Forbes on Fox panel discussion, Kai Falkenberg, Editor at Forbes Magazine, said “Private prisons do a better job for less money. There are studies that show that. And they lower the cost when there’s competition; they lower the cost of the state prisons

Blog Entries

According to a 2003 report, research showed that private prisons save money, as well as put pressure on the public prison system, constraining the escalation of costs[citation needed]. Data showed that states using private prisons had more success in keeping public corrections spending under control than states with no private prisons[citation needed].

States with less than 5 percent of their prison populations in private facilities experienced a 12.5 percent increase in expenditures versus an 18.9 percent increase in those states with no private prisons. States with larger percentages under private management had even greater savings with growth in expenditures at only 5.9 percent during the period studied.[30]

In a 2008 study, evidence indicated that states can save a substantial amount of money if they use a shared system of both privately and publicly managed prisons. The research showed that during the study period (1999–2004), states were able to save up to $15 million on their yearly corrections budget by using at least some privately managed prisons. The study was overseen by James Blumstein, director of the Health Policy Center, Vanderbilt Institute for Public Policy Studies.[31]

Economic benefits to local communities that house private partnership prisons include employment of hundreds of local workers, payment of property taxes and utilities, and purchasing goods and services locally.[32]

Commentators and human rights activists have raised concerns about the morality of imprisoning humans for profit. Traded on the New York Stock Exchange, investors have an interest in keeping private prisons filled. Industry experts say a profitable prison must have a 90-95 percent capacity rate. In a 1990's report, Prudential Securities was bullish on CCA but noted, "It takes time to bring inmate population levels up to where they cover costs. Low occupancy is a drag on profits... company earnings would be strong if CCA succeeded in ramp(ing) up population levels in its new facilities at an acceptable rate".[33]

Jenni Gainsborough of the ACLU's National Prison Project notes "[There is a] basic philosophical problem when you begin turning over administration of prisons to people who have an interest in keeping people locked up

Blog Entries

jeese. I know about privitization, I saw a show..forget where ...prisioners were making not just typical furniture and stuff,
    but worked on assembly lines, did complex tasks -and got paid like 20 cents an hour.

Is this what we've become? basically slave labor to pay for our wants. and products??

I'm all for rehabilitation, and it's better then warehousiing, but there is something wrong here when a corporation has an interest in keeping prisions full.

....The proposed facility is part of the federal government's new plan to move immigrants from jails to detention centers it says are better for holding people with no criminal background. The centers are also supposed to be easier to reach for detainees' relatives and lawyers.

Plans are in the works for other facilities near San Antonio, Texas, and in Essex County, New Jersey, and Orange County, California.

These private facilities have been operating for a while. It's one of the reasons Obama does not want States to prevent illegal immigration. He needs to keep the flow of illegals coming in, in order to keep the facilities operating and expanding. It allows him to funnel tax revenues to private corps.

If you didn't vote Libertarian ... quit bitching.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    jeese. I know about privitization, I saw a show..forget where ...prisioners were making not just typical furniture and stuff,
    but worked on assembly lines, did complex tasks -and got paid like 20 cents an hour.

Is this what we've become? basically slave labor to pay for our wants. and products??

I'm all for rehabilitation, and it's better then warehousiing, but there is something wrong here when a corporation has an interest in keeping prisions full.

You got it. Cheney/Hailburton built a lot of these 'detention' centers under a government contract. Yep. We paid for them with tax payers money yet they are privately owned.

Biggest swindle yet and eventually the people will wake up to what we get back for our tax dollars is being cut. Meanwhile private companies are raking in the tax monies.
    Last edited by Darmosiel; 11-20-2011 at 05:26 PM.

We are truly blessed with magnificent animals.. And cursed by ugly creatures disguised as humans that do them harm..

Quote Originally Posted by Darmosiel
    You got it. Cheney/Hailburton build a lot of these 'detention' centers under a government contract. Yep. We paid for them with tax payers money yet they are privately owned.

Biggest swindle yet and eventually the people will wake up to the fact that what we get back for our tax dollars is being cut. Meanwhile private companies are raking in the tax monies.

And your solution is to this problem is to give the government even more money

No wonder, you have me on ignore.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    These private facilities have been operating for a while. It's one of the reasons Obama does not want States to prevent illegal immigration. He needs to keep the flow of illegals coming in, in order to keep the facilities operating and expanding. It allows him to funnel tax revenues to private corps.

except that he's been deporting them in record numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Daus
    except that he's been deporting them in record numbers.
    Exactly, that's why these private facilities keep expanding. Of course Obama won't let the States stop illegal immigration because then he wouldn't have any illegals to send to the private facilities. I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but that was my point. Don't let your bias fool you next time. I'm well aware of what's going on.

1994-2011 Temp vs. CO2
    Al Gorians are Insane.

I dont follow this to much, but I have seen this on the Ron Paul forums, thought it was actually pretty disturbing.

http://mycuentame.org/immigrantsforsale/

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog
    Exactly, that's why these private facilities keep expanding. Of course Obama won't let the States stop illegal immigration because then he wouldn't have any illegals to send to the private facilities. I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but that was my point. Don't let your bias fool you next time. I'm well aware of what's going on.

Why let the states do a Federal job, and by our own admission , he's doing pretty good, or at least better than his predecessors. I don't care for private prisons, nor do I care for private military. I don't see how Obama is any different than Bush when it comes to this stuff.
    I figured you'd be all for privatization though, this should be right up your ally?