Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who can relate? Stray Cats.

LadyMod at scam.com

Default Who can relate? Stray Cats.

This is funny. As one who owns 4 cats, only one who wasn't a stray but his mother was, and now has two more she's feeding outside. I'm hoping that having 4 dogs (two which a daughter brought home but managed to get tired of taking care of so didn't take either with her when she left) will remind these last two kitties why they don't want to become inside kitties. LOL. So far, I'm still sticking to rule #2. And since I am allergic to cats, they aren't allowed anywhere in my bedroom, much less on the bed.

1. Stray cats will not be fed.

2. Stray cats will not be fed anything except dry cat food.

3. Stray cats will not be fed anything, except dry cat food moistened with a little milk.

4. Stray cats will not be fed anything, except dry cat food moistened with warm milk, yummy treats and left over fish scraps.

5. Stray cats will not be encouraged to make this house their permanent residence.

6. Stray cats will not be petted, played with, picked up and cuddled unnecessarily.

7. Stray cats that are petted, played with, picked up and cuddled will absolutely not be given a name.

8. Stray cats, with or without a name, will not be allowed inside the house at any time.

9. Stray cats will not be allowed inside the house, except at certain times.

10. Stray cats will not be allowed inside the house, except on days ending in "y".

11. Stray cats allowed inside will not be permitted to jump up on or sharpen their claws on the furniture.

12. Stray cats will not be permitted to jump on or sharpen claws on the really good furniture.

13. Stray cats will be permitted on all furniture, but must sharpen claws on new $99 sisal-rope, cat-

scratching post with three perches.

14. Stray cats will answer the call of nature outdoors in the sand.

15. Stray cats will answer the call of nature in the three-piece, high impact plastic tray filled with Fresh n'

16. Stray cats will answer the call of nature in the hooded litter pan with three panel privacy screen and

plenty of head room.

17. Stray cats will sleep outside.

18. Stray cats will sleep in the garage.

19. Stray cats will sleep in the house.

20. Stray cats will sleep in a cardboard box lined with an old blanket.

21. Stray cats will sleep in the special Kitty Komfort Bed with non-allergenic lamb’s wool pillow.

22. Stray cats will not be allowed to sleep in our bed.

23. Stray cats will not be allowed to sleep in our bed, except at the foot.

24. Stray cats will not be allowed to sleep in our bed under the covers.

25. Stray cats will not be allowed to sleep in our bed under the covers, except at the foot.

26. Stray cats will not play on the desk.

27. Stray cats will not play on the desk near the computer.

28. Stray cats are forbidden to walk on the computer keyboard on the desk when the human is

andkdkdkdkljfl; oier,pyykyyy USING IT.i

We've been feeding a stray cat for a couple of years. It was only a few weeks old when it first appeared in the neighborhood. The cat loved my 2 year old daughter and she loved him. I eventually took him for shots and all that stuff so he's clean.

He comes by when he wants a meal or warm place to sleep because we even have a cat house for him on our back porch. As long my daughter enjoys playing with him I'll feed him.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMoby
    We've been feeding a stray cat for a couple of years. It was only a few weeks old when it first appeared in the neighborhood. The cat loved my 2 year old daughter and she loved him. I eventually took him for shots and all that stuff so he's clean.

He comes by when he wants a meal or warm place to sleep because we even have a cat house for him on our back porch. As long my daughter enjoys playing with him I'll feed him.
    Kind of story I like to hear....especially that you took responsibility and took him to the vet. You will find that he will be a faithful friend.
    My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
    Dalai Lama

CarolinaHound

They won't come inside, I won't have an inside cat or dog, but there's a whole pack of ferril cats that live in the woods and under our sheds that show up every evening for me to feed them.

I get laughed at cause I'm always talking about shooting them, the whole time toting a 20 lb bag of cat food out to the pans I've set out there to feed them in.

There was one I liked, he was cool. He'd point birds and squirrels for me. Wouldn't retrieve though, every time I told her to fetch she'd just turn her head slightly toward me and cut her eyes. I think a coyote got her though, or could of been a fox, or even that hawk I've seen circling.

LadyMod at scam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine
    Kind of story I like to hear....especially that you took responsibility and took him to the vet. You will find that he will be a faithful friend.

I've always believed animals should be spayed and /or nuetered. As soon as these two are tame enough it's a quick trip to the vet to do the deed and get their shots.

I volunteer for the Humane society. There are so many animals needing homes I wish people would consider adopting before breeding.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMod at scam.com
    I've always believed animals should be spayed and /or nuetered. As soon as these two are tame enough it's a quick trip to the vet to do the deed and get their shots.

I volunteer for the Humane society. There are so many animals needing homes I wish people would consider adopting before breeding.

Lady Mod
    I worked with a rescue group for a few years. We use to TNR. Had to give it up when knee got bad...your right...so many animals in shelters that need good loving homes. All 4 of my cats are rescues and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Dalai Lama

We've got two cats, Sophie and Nimmys, that we saved from the pound the day they were going to be killed. They were stray kittens living behind an apartment complex til they were brought in by a woman who had been feeding them because it had gotten too cold outside.

They've grown into wonderful cats, especially nimmys, who is a big male, but incredibly gentle and well behaved. Sophie is sweet too, a little black fluffball, but she's always been a little wilder and more suspicious. But she looks at us with such loving looks, and follows my wife wherever she goes.

We're looking for a new kitten, but we only want to get one that we are rescueing, because it's such a pleasure to look at a grown and happy cat and remember that he or she was saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    We've got two cats, Sophie and Nimmys, that we saved from the pound the day they were going to be killed. They were stray kittens living behind an apartment complex til they were brought in by a woman who had been feeding them because it had gotten too cold outside.

They've grown into wonderful cats, especially nimmys, who is a big male, but incredibly gentle and well behaved. Sophie is sweet too, a little black fluffball, but she's always been a little wilder and more suspicious. But she looks at us with such loving looks, and follows my wife wherever she goes.

We're looking for a new kitten, but we only want to get one that we are rescueing, because it's such a pleasure to look at a grown and happy cat and remember that he or she was saved.
    Stop it you are going to have me crying my eyes out...all mine were rescued as kittens and have given me so much joy and fun...I had 9 at one time but found homes for some. Lost two to cancer(Marlboro and Sammy) have 4 left-Raymond, Zadie, Tess and Peggy Sue. Two are 8 yrs old and 2 are 9 yrs old.
    Dalai Lama

Carolina Hound, your situation is a perfect candidate for a TNR program (trap,
    neuter, return). You should be able to find one in your area through Alley Cat
    Allies.

I volunteer for a nearby countys program. They lend out humane traps for a
    deposit which is returned when the traps are returned. The cats are run
    through (Snip & Tip) the program. They are sterilized, treated for earmites
    and worms, given Distemper and Rabies vaccinations, treated for fleas. Anything that can be done on that day is done....abesses treated, mats clipped, ears cleaned...
    wounds treated...anything that can be done that does not require after care
    as practically all the cats are feral and untouchable when awake!! After
    surgery they are given fluids, a drug to help them wake up and placed on
    heated blankets until they are partly awake at which time they are placed
    back in the traps and covered and waiting to be picked up. They receive
    excellent care because everything there is working because they love cats and
    all volunteer their time, even the vets and techs. You receive a sheet of
    instructions of aftercare. The boys can be released the next day. They tell
    you how to care for the girls as they need to be held a day or two longer,
    especially if they were pregnant or in heat.
    What you have then is a stable colony, a very healthy colony that does not
    grow. They "tip" the left ear so you can tell if you missed anyone and with
    any future trapping you can tell if it is someone already done.
    Shelters do nothing but kill feral cats. TNR is a humane method of controlling
    populations of ferals and gives the cats a life free of breeding and unwanted
    litters and disease spread through breeding behaviors.

S&T does this for no charge. They accept donations and get grants to keep
    it going. In three years they have "done" way over 3000 cats. In Sept. we
    did 247 cats!! A record. So many they couldnt be all finished in one day
    so Sara(the patronon saint of spay/neuter!) was able to scratch up two vets
    and 7 of us went back in and finished the last 58 girls!

Early in the program we thought we were doing good to do 50-60 cats in
    a clinic, then we wanted to hit 100, then one day we got slammed with
    131, then Sara wanted to hit 180, then 200 and on and on. Now weve
    got to keep up our goals and we will.

Check it out. People come from Tn, Alabama and Arkansas to get their
    ferals "fixed". Surely there is something near you.

Good for you for helping the feral cats. Its not their fault they are there.
    Its irresponsible people not fixing their animals and abandoning them to become feral.

Good luck with your colony.
    "Please dont lie, cheat or steal...the government doesnt
    like competition".

PROMOTE SELF DEPORTATION! NO JOBS, NO SERVICES,
    NO PROBLEMS.

What are reparations? Making me pay
    for something I had nothing to do with compensates no one
    who suffered an injustice therefore I would be penalized for
    something I didnt do and someone else would receive a settlement
    for an injury they did not suffer.
    Author: Me!

Join "Team Sarah"

Join The American Tea Party

LadyMod at scam.com

The two cats that I'm feeding outside are adults. They were nothing but bones covered in skin, now they are beautiful.

My oldest dog was rescued, was supposed to be adopted out, I was acting as foster parent, but I fell in love with him and adopted him myself. LOL. My little Chihuahua wandered up on my birthday a year ago. She was being neglected by some people up the street. She was about 6 months old. Long story short, I wrote up a sales contract and bought her from those people for $100. She kept running away from them, she never leaves my yard. Her choice.

Popcorn, our oldest cat who is now blind as a bat, was rescued from behind a movie theatre. She was captured in a big popcorn bucket and since she was a white Siamese mix I thought that Popcorn would be an appropriate name for her. Bobbie, or bobtailed tortoise shell cat was a wild kitten behind the houses across the street and living in the woods there. I guess some of the people had been trying to catch her. I helped her out of a tight fix one day, chased off a different cat and even though I had a puppy in my arms and talking to someone who had just adopted it and was finishing up the paperwork, she came running across the street, right up to me and into my arms. I was so surprised. LOL. I looked at my oldest daughter who was still at home at the time and told her to get a bowl of catfood and water, it appears we were having another guest stay with us. Bobbie won't go to anyone else so we ended up adopting her as well. Katie, the youngest, just showed up one day and never left.

I seem to have a connection with animals. I've had hummingbirds land on me and let me stroke them, owls hoot when I enter the woods and fly near sometimes. It's pretty cool, though hard to explain sometimes.

Lady Mod