Thread: Bush Gang plans to shut down Guantanamo Gulag

Default Bush Gang plans to shut down Guantanamo Gulag

WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 — Administration officials are considering granting Guantánamo detainees substantially greater rights as part of an effort to close the detention center and possibly move much of its population to the United States, according to officials involved in the discussions.

One proposal that is being widely discussed in the administration would overhaul the procedure for determining whether detainees are properly held by granting them legal representation at detention hearings and by giving federal judges, not military officers, the power to decide whether suspects should be held.

Although the Bush administration has long defended the legal protections afforded detainees at Guantánamo against strenuous criticism, some officials now say that moving them to American soil would require giving them enhanced protections.

Facing international criticism for holding hundreds of men without charge for years, officials from President Bush on down have said they would like to close Guantánamo. In recent interviews, officials said the discussion of detainee rights was not an acknowledgment that past policies were flawed, but rather was an indication that the administration was engaged in trying to assess the legal and practical consequences of shutting the detention center and moving detainees to the United States.

It does make sense. They used it while he was in office and now he'll remove it right before the election and of course, him leaving office. I think he has some concerns about legal action against him and his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by SirMoby
    It does make sense. They used it while he was in office and now he'll remove it right before the election and of course, him leaving office. I think he has some concerns about legal action against him and his crew.
    Good point! I hadn't thought about that.

disrupter

What a dark stain on American history Gitmo is.

Combined with wanton corruption, the USA is irredeemable.