I took some time to examine the stance taken by the Democratic Party on a variety of issues in comparison to the stance taken by the Socialist Party USA. I was looking for a confirmation to what most of us already believe - what I found sent chills down my spine. I’ve listed the issues separately below so as to avoid being monotonous to those who may only be interested in select issues. The direct link to each individual statement is also provided. Also note the Communist Party USA goals at the end of this article.
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party recognizes that a struggle against habitual male dominance and patriarchy must go hand in hand with any struggle against capitalism. Therefore, we pledge our opposition to all forms of sexism, and demand equality for women in all aspects of life. We support the rights of all women to birth control information and supplies, and to all reproductive health services -- including abortion. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20021116-roevwade.html
- Socialist Party USA They cynically expect that you will put your morals aside and let war crimes be committed in your name. They think you're scared and ignorant enough to go along with anti-Arab racism. They think you can be hoodwinked into giving up your Constitutional rights for the illusion of security. Prove them wrong. Join us in resisting the war. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20020921-iraq.html
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party USA stands in complete outrage at the actions of the U.S. Government to bomb Kabul and other cities and towns in Afghanistan. This retribution is not and cannot be just. Instead this military aggression will only lead to more violence; endless cycles of retribution and war will again be in all our lives; innocent people will die; and we will be no better than the September 11 hijackers. Never in history has peace been obtained through war. We join socialists, anti-war and peace organizations, labor unions and all others worldwide in declaring our firm and passionate opposition to policies and actions that lead to war. The people of Afghanistan have never been, and will never be, our enemy. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20011007-afghanistan.html
- Socialist Party USA The death penalty is wrong. It is no less wrong, now that convicted terrorist Timothy McVeigh is about to be executed. The Socialist Party USA stands against the death penalty, no matter to whom it is applied. This is not a new position. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20010417-mcveigh.html
(against Israel) - Socialist Party USA The new wave of bloodshed in the Middle East has its starting point in Israel's occupation of Palestinian lands. The Socialist Party calls for the immediate cessation of all aid to Israel, including the sale of military equipment of any kind. U.S. aid has been used by Israel to fashion one of the most powerful military machines in the world. The U.S. government's complicity with the Israeli occupations should end now. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20001022-middleeast.html
- Socialist Party USA WHEREAS in the same document our party states clearly that “We defend the rights of immigrants to housing, education, health care, jobs, and civil, legal, and political rights. http://sp-usa.org/statements/20030817-iwfr.html
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party stands for socialized medicine-- a health care system based on universal coverage, salaried doctors and health care workers, and revenues derived from a graduated income tax. http://www.votesocialist.org/platform/plat2.html
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party recognizes the right of all people to high quality, low cost housing. We call for large scale public investment in the construction of low cost, scattered site, community-based, high-quality housing. We call for rent control for all rental units, and the right of tenants to organize. We support the formation of housing cooperatives and nonprofit land trusts, the adoption of advanced and cost-cutting technology in building, and the rehabilitation and weatherization of existing housing. http://www.votesocialist.org/platform/plat2.html
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party recognizes the right of students of all ages to a free, quality education in a safe and supportive environment, and of all school employees to good wages, benefits, and working conditions. We call for full and equal funding of public education, for free tuition at the post-secondary level, and for an end to all public funding and subsidizing of private schools. We call for fewer students per teacher. We call for vigorous affirmative action programs so that each public institution of higher education reflects the community at large in terms of race/ethnicity, gender, and economic background. http://www.votesocialist.org/platform/plat2.html
- Socialist Party USA The Socialist Party recognizes that the mechanisms in capitalism that oppress and alienate humans are the same mechanisms that destroy the environment. We support a policy of no clear cutting in commercial forestry, a ban on commercial cutting in old-growth forests, and an environmentally sound timber policy that takes into account the historical ecology of the region. We oppose nuclear power projects and call for the immediate decommissioning of all nuclear power plants, a ban on the export of nuclear technology, and any efforts to use nuclear technology in space. http://sp-usa.org/about/platform/environment.html
- Socialist Party USA We call for the banning of the fur trade. We support greater inclusion and enforcement of the Endangered Species Act. We call for a ban on animal experimentation for product development, and support products that are not tested on animals. We oppose factory-farming practices of over-crowding, drugging, and otherwise cruelly treating animals, practices that are inhumane and that impair the quality of the food thus produced. http://sp-usa.org/about/platform/animal-rights.html
- Socialist Party USA We support efforts to organize all workers, particularly workers in the service industries, enlisted personnel in the Armed Forces, and the difficult to organize (including students, home workers, homeless people, prison inmates, and the unemployed). We support militant, united labor action including secondary strikes and boycotts. We support the right of first-time and part-time workers to full benefits. We call for the repeal of all repressive labor legislation such as the Hatch Act, the Taft-Hartley Act, the Landrum-Griffin Act, and all the so-called "right-to-work" laws. http://sp-usa.org/about/platform/labor.html
- We oppose balancing the federal budget at the expense of funding basic human services. We call for a National Pension Authority to hold the assets of private pension funds, and a levy against corporate assets for any pension fund deficits. We call for increased unemployment compensation. We support a program of massive federal investment in both urban and rural areas for infrastructure reconstruction and economic development. We call for the elimination of subsidies and tax breaks that benefit corporations and wealthy households at the expense of working people. We support the use of any federal budget surplus on human services rather than tax cuts that will only benefit the rich. (one of my personal favorites). http://sp-usa.org/about/platform/economics.html
COMMUNIST PARTY USA
. I’d like to end with some of the stated goals of the Communist Party USA. Once again, the Communist and the Democrats are virtually impossible to tell apart: *Raise the minimum wage to $12 an hour. *No privatization of Social Security. Increase benefits. *Universal health care system. *Restore social safety net. Welfare reform that includes job training, supports and living wages. *Full funding for equal, quality, bi-lingual public education. No vouchers. *Repeal tax cuts to the rich and corporations. *Strong regulation of financial industry. *Prosecute corporate polluters. Public works program to clean our air, water and land. *Aid to cities and states. Federally funded infrastructure repair and social service programs. *No to war with Iraq - End military interventions. *Cut military budget and fund human needs. *End racial profiling. *Repeal the death penalty. *Enforce civil rights laws and affirmative action. *Repeal USA Patriot Act. *Legalization and protection of immigrant’s rights.