Thread: Neoliberalism- good, bad or ugly??

Blog Entries

Default Neoliberalism- good, bad or ugly??

Our savior or our down fall??
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Blog Entries

Shortly after becoming the U.N. Special Envoy to Haiti, former President Bill Clinton publicly apologized for forcing Haiti to drop tariffs on imported subsidized U.S. rice during his time in office. The policy wiped out Haitian rice farming, seriously damaged Haiti’s ability to be self-sufficient, and contributed to Haiti’s forced urbanization that likely increased the earthquake toll. Dr. Paul Farmer, who serves as Clinton’s deputy in Haiti, says: "I felt a sense of great relief just hearing him say that. I felt grateful for it as an American."
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

After the WS/investment bank meltdowns in 2007/2008, you're asking if neoliberalism is good, bad or ugly?

Blog Entries

Since it is essentially still intact why not??
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    Since it is essentially still intact why not??

Huh? Please restate the question less cryptically.

First I'll restate mine - why would you even list the option 'good' when referring to neoliberalism?

Blog Entries

WHy not.............. This is the MO........... So if ppl thought it bad it would not be the MO..............

Good, you know like we have done repeatedly in Haiti..... Like we are doing in Iraq & Afghani-NAM, liberating their poor women & giving them dumbocracy.. THings like that.......
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis

Just a guess, speaking only in terms of Right V. Left - the progressives/liberals believe the neoliberalism ideology is both bad and ugly, the reactionaries/wingers now believe it is both bad and ugly (only until another Repugnant takes office, god forbid).

How's about you spend more time figuring out how to get a progressive on the Dem ballot for 2012, and less shrieking about the numerous and sundry sins of Obama?

You should read Americablog, dkos, buzzflash, HuffPo more - Obama is being called out repeatedly caving on a plethora of issues, from the Public Option full surrrender to WS regulation/Tim Geithner, to allowing Bush tax cuts for the plutocrats to stay intact.

Either offer up some solutions, or at least be more creative with this torrent of anti-Obama screeds. Maybe you and BAC can put up some lucite tables in the garage and get the shit started.

See my point?.........there is zero opposition to Obama from the Left, nor should you expect one. The Right/plutocrats have kept the Dems on the defense since the Reagan/Carter years. This is why I believe Dem voters should rally around CLEANING OUT THEIR PARTY (people like Baucus, Nelson, etc etc). That's how we fix this broken ass government.

Dem voters Disassembling Obama out of anger will surely lead to a President Bachmann, or even worse if that's possible.

ksec

Bad.

The open markets are killing us. We cant compete with 65 cents an hour and until we put up trade barriers and protections and start looking after our own workers this country will contnue its downward spiral .

We need union manufacturing to come back and we need tariffs on slave wage countries who have no problem exploiting their workers so a few CEOs can make millions on the backs of the slave.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Kimchi
    Just a guess, speaking only in terms of Right V. Left - the progressives/liberals believe the neoliberalism ideology is both bad and ugly, the reactionaries/wingers now believe it is both bad and ugly (only until another Repugnant takes office, god forbid).

How's about you spend more time figuring out how to get a progressive on the Dem ballot for 2012, and less shrieking about the numerous and sundry sins of Obama?

You should read Americablog, dkos, buzzflash, HuffPo more - Obama is being called out repeatedly caving on a plethora of issues, from the Public Option full surrrender to WS regulation/Tim Geithner, to allowing Bush tax cuts for the plutocrats to stay intact.

Either offer up some solutions, or at least be more creative with this torrent of anti-Obama screeds. Maybe you and BAC can put up some lucite tables in the garage and get the shit started.

See my point?.........there is zero opposition to Obama from the Left, nor should you expect one. The Right/plutocrats have kept the Dems on the defense since the Reagan/Carter years. This is why I believe Dem voters should rally around CLEANING OUT THEIR PARTY (people like Baucus, Nelson, etc etc). That's how we fix this broken ass government.

Dem voters Disassembling Obama out of anger will surely lead to a President Bachmann, or even worse if that's possible.
    Do you have any idea why I started this thread??

This is something both parties have bought into & frankly it is something we have not really talked much about, I just thought the time had come to hear some opinions on it..

Now onto the real reason you replied, my continually airing my disappointment of Obama.. As much as I like you homie that is not going to happen.. I can assure you that BAC would not consider it, nor do I think Cos & some of the others would either..

I will speak only for myself here, but I don’t think any of those others hate Obama or democrats, I certainly don’t……. I do feel obligated to speak my mind & air my disappointment in what he has done & continues to do..

Unlike some of you, my support of him is not unconditional. The premise being what I believe in my best interest, the best interest of my family, my country & the world..

Where/when he deviates is where my mouth starts to open…

I believe that w/ all relationships in life, children, employees, spouse etc we have expectations & when those expectations are not meet it needs to be made clear so there is no ambiguity..

Silence, acceptance, like appeasement is not in my nature, & I believe it is in the best interest of those I mentioned above & your party not to accept anything less from a politician…

Acquiesce- they made him do it, he did the best he could etc may make you feel better about it, but that is not going to get you to where you wanna go…

Expressing you displeasure of him not only tells him he must do better, but gives him the political cover to state he is doing the will of the ppl, the ppl demand it.. (“a lobbyist will say do this for me, they won’t say anything” )
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ksec
    Bad.

The open markets are killing us. We cant compete with 65 cents an hour and until we put up trade barriers and protections and start looking after our own workers this country will contnue its downward spiral .

We need union manufacturing to come back and we need tariffs on slave wage countries who have no problem exploiting their workers so a few CEOs can make millions on the backs of the slave.

But those that are profiting handsomely by this now have the politicians in their pockets.......

This works for them, not the American worker..
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis