Thread: Hillary calls for increased funding for propaganda, cut PBS...

Blog Entries

Default Hillary calls for increased funding for propaganda, cut PBS...

As Public Broadcasting and Community Media Face Potentially Massive Cuts at Home, Hillary Clinton Calls for Increased Funding for U.S. Propaganda Overseas (VIDEO)

"We are in an information war, and we are losing that war,” said U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last week as she praised Al Jazeera’s dedication to “real news.” To win the war, Clinton called for expanding U.S. propaganda TV and radio broadcasts overseas. At the same time, public broadcasting and community media are under attack in the United States. Last month, the House voted to eliminate all financing for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting by the year 2013. We speak to Robert McChesney, co-founder of Free Press, and broadcast highlights from Amy Goodman’s three-day "Don’t Ice Out Public Media" tour in Colorado.

More @ source.......
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

The plutocrats have won the 'information war'....for now.

But I believe the day will come when the people's pain threshold is met and they are literally forced to put 2 and 2 together. Other than that there's no chance whatsoever. The fix is in.

Blog Entries

I found it funny she would say Al Jazzeera is better-real news compared to the shit that Americans digest every night & day.......
    Al Jazeera’s dedication to “real news.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Blog Entries

i didn't hear her use the word "propaganda" - here's the clip I heard:

"We're loosing the infomation war"
    "Instead of Real news which al Jazeera provides -whether you agree with it or not, you get real news 24 hours a day, instead of a million commercials, and talking heads and the kind of stuff not informative to us or 'foreigners(sic)"
    maybe she went on to call for "propaganda" I didn't play any more of the clip.

But I find her above statement to be true: cable NEWZ is fun to watch, and we get political discussions, but not much event coverages -more talking heads.

The MSM Evening News is worthless, it just touches on headlines, and then usually some "soft" feature -tastes great but not very filling.

I switched to FOX's 60 minute report - yes it's biased, and it's Republican light, but at least I get some REAL NEWS - more in depth reporting , more political discussion. More filling. But still not enough, one needs to be interested in world affairs, i get a LOT of info HERE and on the Net, than ANY TV news (al-Jazeera included)

PS - where in the clip does she call for more 'propaganda'? did I miss it?

Once disentangled, remain in the blissful state of ultimate tanglementlessness.

Blog Entries

I would not expect Hillary to use the term propaganda in reference to her own countries "information" to influence foreigners, would you???

The authors of the article choose to call it what it is......... PROPAGANDA!!

I think if one replaces the word information & the like she uses w/ that word propaganda you come away w/ the exact same idea she was attempting to convey............. What do you think??

SECRETARY OF STATE HILLARY CLINTON: We are engaged in an information war. You know, during the Cold War, we did a great job in getting America’s message out. After the Berlin Wall fell, we said, "OK, fine, enough of that. You know, we’ve done it. We’re done." And unfortunately, we are paying a big price for it. And our private media cannot fill that gap. In fact, our private media, particularly cultural programming, often works at counter purposes to what we truly are as Americans and what our values are. I remember having an Afghan general tell me that the only thing he thought about Americans is that all the men wrestled and the women walked around in bikinis, because the only TV he ever saw was Baywatch and World Wide Wrestling. So, we are in an information war, and we are losing that war. I’ll be very blunt in my assessment. Al Jazeera is winning. The Chinese have opened up a global English-language and multi-language television network. The Russians have opened up an English-language network. I’ve seen it in a few countries, and it’s quite instructive. We are cutting back. The BBC is cutting back.

So, here’s what we are trying to do. You know, in the State Department, we have pushed very hard on new media. So we have an Arabic Twitter feed, we have a Farsi Twitter feed. I have this group of young, you know, techno experts who are out there engaging on websites, and we’re putting all of our young Arabic-speaking diplomats out so that they are talking about our values. Walter is working hard with his board to try to, you know, transform the broadcasting efforts, because most people still get their news from TV and radio . So, even though we’re pushing online, we can’t forget TV and radio. And so, I look—I would look very much toward your cooperation to try to figure out how we get back in the game on this, because I hate ceding what we are most expert in to anybody else.
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis

Keep in mind the word 'propaganda' is a synonym of 'information'. You guys are mincing words.

When applied to the right wing, 'false' is routinely added before 'propaganda'.

Blog Entries

OK -let's use propaganda, that IS what she is calling for -i missed the whole statement. So I agree with you.

this part:
    We are engaged in an information war. You know, during the Cold War, we did a great job in getting America’s message out. After the Berlin Wall fell, we said, "OK, fine, enough of that. You know, we’ve done it. We’re done."
    True enough

And unfortunately, we are paying a big price for it. And our private media cannot fill that gap. In fact, our private media, particularly cultural programming, often works at counter purposes to what we truly are as Americans and what our values are. I remember having an Afghan general tell me that the only thing he thought about Americans is that all the men wrestled and the women walked around in bikinis, because the only TV he ever saw was Baywatch and World Wide Wrestling.

So, we are in an information war, and we are losing that war. I’ll be very blunt in my assessment. Al Jazeera is winning. The Chinese have opened up a global English-language and multi-language television network. The Russians have opened up an English-language network. I’ve seen it in a few countries, and it’s quite instructive. We are cutting back. The BBC is cutting back.
    I got no problem with her statement, our private media is pretty disgusting
    ( I can't even watch 'reality TV' -but the Baywatch chicks get my FULL attention ) Might be a bit unconcerting for the Muslim audience though.

All she is calling for is the SAME THING Russia and China "and a few other countries" are doing. So there IS an "information war" - not my choice of words, but can't argue the point

Look at the ME -would the current push for democacy have happened without social media?

Push that propaganda.

Once disentangled, remain in the blissful state of ultimate tanglementlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Kimchi
    Keep in mind the word 'propaganda' is a synonym of 'information'. You guys are mincing words.

When applied to the right wing, 'false' is routinely added before 'propaganda'.
    This is an important point and applies to both sides...it's just that most of the false propaganda is from the Corporatist RWA's.
    "The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    - Frank Zappa

When the fate of so many rests in the hands of so few, can the failure to be accountable ever be forgiven?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicRocker
    OK -let's use propaganda, that IS what she is calling for -i missed the whole statement. So I agree with you.

this part:
    True enoug

I got no problem with her statement, our private media is pretty disgusting
    ( I can't even watch 'reality TV' -but the Baywatch chicks get my FULL attention ) Might be a bit unconcerting for the Muslim audience though.

All she is calling for is the SAME THING Russia and China "and a few other countries" are doing. So there IS an "information war" - not my choice of words, but can't argue the point

Look at the ME -would the current push for democacy have happened without social media?

Push that propaganda.
    I think this is the natural state "civilized countries" have existed in as long as I can recall...........

THomas Paine rallied against it....... Civilized countries acting in an uncivilized manner..

War does not raise all ships, it lowers them..........
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis