Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate approves deal to extend tax cuts, unemployment benefits

Senior Member California Chrome's Avatar

Default Senate approves deal to extend tax cuts, unemployment benefits

By a vote of 81 to 19, the Senate moves the compromise package on to the House, where final action is possible by the end of the week. But House Democrats are seeking to amend the estate tax provision of the deal.

Reporting from Washington

The Senate has passed legislation that would temporarily extend the George W. Bush-era tax cuts and renew unemployment benefits for 7 million Americans, moving the compromise package on to the House of Representatives.

Despite qualms from members of both parties in the House, final congressional action seems possible by week's end. The exact timing will depend on whether Democrats are successful in efforts to amend the package.

The final vote in the Senate was 81-19.

In addition to the tax rate and unemployment insurance extensions, the bill would trim the payroll tax by 2 percentage points for a year and reinstate the estate tax, but at a lower rate than was in force before it lapsed at the end of 2009.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,2292719.story
    Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof.

Blog Entries

Let us be thanXful, that eventhough he is no longer president, his wisedumb, foresight & tax breaks for the rich go on w/out him........

Let us also be thanxful for our current leadership having the courage to put forth his ideas when they are just not smart enough to come up w/ something on their own.............

ThnX george bush for saving America one more time.........
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

decades from now the fifty year olds will talk about how Obama paid them for 3 years to sit on their ass and vote!

I have no problem with this bill. At least we are seeing long overdue compromise here, instead of the usual 'sit down and shut up' tactics employed for the for the past two years.

I wonder if the House is going to pass this, or will the detached-from-reality radical freaks stall it into the New Year?

Tax plan passed.

The fringe left and Tea Party are complaining about this. I simply don't understand how these types do not understand what compromise entails? They are both acting like a bunch of spoiled babies. Half a loaf is better than none.

Miracles never cease.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MintJulep
    Tax plan passed.

The fringe left and Tea Party are complaining about this. I simply don't understand how these types do not understand what compromise entails? They are both acting like a bunch of spoiled babies. Half a loaf is better than none.

Not if you get the half w/ mold on it........lol

What I find most troubling is that this is the best they could do.........

Is the controlling-majority party so lacking in ideas that the best they can do is recycle stuff from the last administration??

Pretty weak.......

& I don't wanna hear again how the gop made them do it..........
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by wayers57
    decades from now the fifty year olds will talk about how Obama paid them for 3 years to sit on their ass and vote!
    Right, they will be talking about how Washington outsourced our manufacturing jobs to China and India and had no choice but to increase unemployment benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    Not if you get the half w/ mold on it........lol

What I find most troubling is that this is the best they could do.........

Is the controlling-majority party so lacking in ideas that the best they can do is recycle stuff from the last administration??

Pretty weak.......

& I don't wanna hear again how the gop made them do it..........
    You're not being realistic. The Obama/Pelosi regime spent two years forcing things on the public they didn't want, with zero compromise. And the public kicked their compadres to the curb last month because of it.

I'm fine with the bill. I don't understand why the fringe doesn't understand there has to be a give and take, and that goes for the Tea Party as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MintJulep
    You're not being realistic. The Obama/Pelosi regime spent two years forcing things on the public they didn't want, with zero compromise. And the public kicked their compadres to the curb last month because of it.

I'm fine with the bill. I don't understand why the fringe doesn't understand there has to be a give and take, and that goes for the Tea Party as well.
    IOW, you agree with Obama.