Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On this video I think I support the cop

Default On this video I think I support the cop

People want this to be a smoking gun. But the fact is they were interfering with an officer doing his duty. I don't believe the officer should be disciplined at all. Note the poster of the video doesn't agree with me.

It all started when a cop stopped a man for jaywalking. Things escalated quickly from there as voices were raised and a crowd gathered. When two young women intervened an onlooker pulled out his camera phone and started to roll tape.
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...cer_caught.php

Blog Entries

A few things here......... One we don't know what happened prior to this...

WHile that blog person says a man was jay walking, after the clip he says one of the girls was being arrested for jay walking....

It all started when a cop stopped a man for jaywalking.
    The tape begins as the officer appears to be trying to arrest one of the girls for jaywalking.
    So which is it????????????

From what I can tell from the small segment of the incident that cop seems clearly in the wrong....... He should have called for back up (not clear if he did or not) & then stayed calm until they arrived........

While wrestling w/ girls, for whatever reason, he caused the situation to escalate...... Throwing a right into a girls face should be the very last option, not the second........
    We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions.
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye 2j
    People want this to be a smoking gun. But the fact is they were interfering with an officer doing his duty. I don't believe the officer should be disciplined at all. Note the poster of the video doesn't agree with me.

It all started when a cop stopped a man for jaywalking. Things escalated quickly from there as voices were raised and a crowd gathered. When two young women intervened an onlooker pulled out his camera phone and started to roll tape.
    http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/daily...cer_caught.php
    Bull shit. The cop punched a woman in the face. He is lucky the crowd didn't tear him apart. There is something called "Color of authority" which the officer is responsible for. His actions in public in front of a crowd under the color of authority put him clearly in the wrong and just stupid to think people will put up with that bullshit, uniform not. I do not support the police using unnecessary violence for their own protection as well as societies.

Regardless of the events leading up to the video, this cop clearly used excessive force. If his rank and tenure are high, he will likely still remain on the force. Gotta love camera phones!
    "The American people are not a people anymore; they are an audience" - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    A few things here......... One we don't know what happened prior to this...

WHile that blog person says a man was jay walking, after the clip he says one of the girls was being arrested for jay walking....

So which is it????????????

From what I can tell from the small segment of the incident that cop seems clearly in the wrong....... He should have called for back up (not clear if he did or not) & then stayed calm until they arrived........

While wrestling w/ girls, for whatever reason, he caused the situation to escalate...... Throwing a right into a girls face should be the very last option, not the second........

Bill:

Oftentmes things happen too fast for the Officer to be able to call for a back up and sometimes that back up could be quite a ways away. The cop just can't stand there with his hands in his pockets and wait.

He was evidently attempting to make a lawful arrest when the other girl interferred with his attempt to take the other girl into custody. At that point the Officer doesn't necessarily have the option to step back.

Not only does he have to worry about the one he is trying to arrest and whether or not she may have a weapon on her he now has to worry what the other girl's next actions may be and whether or not she may have a weapon in addition to what te crowd of would be sidewalk lawyers may do next.

He used considerable restraint on the girl. Had she been a he we would have probably seen the guy get his face buried in the hood of the police cruiser or the pavement in addition to a few welts on his head.

You can tell the Officer was restrained in his actions by the apparent difficulty he was having in handcuffing her. It is very difficult to handcuff a person who wants to fight you without doing physical damage to the suspect.

As far as his punching the woman in the face I believe he was justified as he had no choice but to physically eliminate her as a threat at the moment. She is lucky she didn't get shot.

Maybe one should ask why one of those fine citizens standing around didn't help the Officer effect the arrest and help defuse the situation. Their continued comments and inaction only puts the Officer in a mental frame of mind that there may well be additional threats from the crowd to his personal safety.

Under these circumstances the police officer absolutely must win. He cannot let the original arrestee get away nor can he tolerate an attempt by someone to take his prisoner from him. If necessary he would be justified in using deadly force to protect himself, and his prisoner, as well as any innocent bystanders.

We as citizens have a duty to assist a police officer in such situations so as to prevent just such a situation from getting out of hand.

The legality of the arrest and any complaints of police use of excessive force can all be sorted out later. By assisting the Officer instead of interferring with him in an of itself can prevent the Officer from having to use what most folks think is excessive force.

Until such time as you willingly submit to the arrest and are handcuffed where you are no longer a threat to the Officer, yourself or any bystanders, then you are fair game for whatever happens to you, including your demise.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbaron
    Bill:

Oftentmes things happen too fast for the Officer to be able to call for a back up and sometimes that back up could be quite a ways away. The cop just can't stand there with his hands in his pockets and wait.

He was evidently attempting to make a lawful arrest when the other girl interferred with his attempt to take the other girl into custody. At that point the Officer doesn't necessarily have the option to step back.

Not only does he have to worry about the one he is trying to arrest and whether or not she may have a weapon on her he now has to worry what the other girl's next actions may be and whether or not she may have a weapon in addition to what te crowd of would be sidewalk lawyers may do next.

He used considerable restraint on the girl. Had she been a he we would have probably seen the guy get his face buried in the hood of the police cruiser or the pavement in addition to a few welts on his head.

You can tell the Officer was restrained in his actions by the apparent difficulty he was having in handcuffing her. It is very difficult to handcuff a person who wants to fight you without doing physical damage to the suspect.

As far as his punching the woman in the face I believe he was justified as he had no choice but to physically eliminate her as a threat at the moment. She is lucky she didn't get shot.

Maybe one should ask why one of those fine citizens standing around didn't help the Officer effect the arrest and help defuse the situation. Their continued comments and inaction only puts the Officer in a mental frame of mind that there may well be additional threats from the crowd to his personal safety.

Under these circumstances the police officer absolutely must win. He cannot let the original arrestee get away nor can he tolerate an attempt by someone to take his prisoner from him. If necessary he would be justified in using deadly force to protect himself, and his prisoner, as well as any innocent bystanders.

We as citizens have a duty to assist a police officer in such situations so as to prevent just such a situation from getting out of hand.

The legality of the arrest and any complaints of police use of excessive force can all be sorted out later. By assisting the Officer instead of interferring with him in an of itself can prevent the Officer from having to use what most folks think is excessive force.

Until such time as you willingly submit to the arrest and are handcuffed where you are no longer a threat to the Officer, yourself or any bystanders, then you are fair game for whatever happens to you, including your demise.
    This was the same impression I had.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxbaron
    Bill:

While I see & agree w/ some of your observations I think we need to get some more details before I say much else........ Or wait to talk to my attorney first.....lol

One thing I did notice: Either he is pretty damn weak or those teenage girls are pretty strong... He was struggling quite a bit on the power end of the situation, even when he had leverage........ I believe that also contributed to his feelings of inadequacy or undo feeling of being threaten, resulting in his excess use of force..
    Howard Zinn

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.

Louis D. Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
    While I see & agree w/ some of your observations I think we need to get some more details before I say much else........ Or wait to talk to my attorney first.....lol

One thing I did notice: Either he is pretty damn weak or those teenage girls are pretty strong... He was struggling quite a bit on the power end of the situation, even when he had leverage........ I believe that also contributed to his feelings of inadequacy or undo feeling of being threaten, resulting in his excess use of force..
    Those girls looked pretty damn strong to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye2j
    Those girls looked pretty damn strong to me.
    Perhaps, but he looked pretty weak & lame to me..... That is till he tossed that right into the face of a teenage girl......... Then I guess.......... Well I leave that one alone for now......
    Howard Zinn

Louis D. Brandeis

They must have pulled the video. I tried to run it and I got a message saying that it could not be found on the server. Either that, or my firewall is not letting it thru.

So with that in mind, I can only comment on the article and the dicussion at hand. Based on what I have read, the officer ends up punching one of the women after some resistance by her friend during the arrest. I agree, we need to know more information before we jump to conclusions, but I must say that I agree completely with what FoxB wrote. If the lady/girl being arrested would submit to the arrest and then have it sorted out later, she would be much further ahead. But now, even if she was not guilty of jay walking or whatever it was, she is guilty of resisting arrest. Dumb move on her part.