Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Conservative View

Default A Conservative View

Republicans promised political tragedy for Democrats if they passed health care reform, but one conservative commentator and former high-ranking GOP operative asserted that the "disaster" will be faced by his own party.

Invoking Republican Sen. Jim DeMint's (R-SC) infamous remarks last July that killing the legislation would be President Obama's "Waterloo," David Frum offered a dire assessment of the GOP's fate. "[I]t's Waterloo all right: ours," he wrote on his blog Frum Forum.

"Conservatives and Republicans today suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s," said Frum, a former speechwriter and adviser to President George W. Bush. "Itís hard to exaggerate the magnitude of the disaster."

"We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat," he explained, on the day the House of Representatives cleared the historic legislation for the president to sign into law.

Frum sternly rebuffed the predominant right-wing memes about the allegedly partisan process, alleging the "blame" for their forthcoming political woes lies with conservatives and Republicans for adamantly refusing to compromise on any level with President Obama and Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye2j
    Republicans promised political tragedy for Democrats if they passed health care reform, but one conservative commentator and former high-ranking GOP operative asserted that the "disaster" will be faced by his own party.

Invoking Republican Sen. Jim DeMint's (R-SC) infamous remarks last July that killing the legislation would be President Obama's "Waterloo," David Frum offered a dire assessment of the GOP's fate. "[I]t's Waterloo all right: ours," he wrote on his blog Frum Forum.

"Conservatives and Republicans today suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s," said Frum, a former speechwriter and adviser to President George W. Bush. "Itís hard to exaggerate the magnitude of the disaster."

"We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat," he explained, on the day the House of Representatives cleared the historic legislation for the president to sign into law.

Frum sternly rebuffed the predominant right-wing memes about the allegedly partisan process, alleging the "blame" for their forthcoming political woes lies with conservatives and Republicans for adamantly refusing to compromise on any level with President Obama and Democrats.

How in the fuck can a party compromise when they aren't invited to the meetings?

002-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wayers57
    How in the fuck can a party compromise when they aren't invited to the meetings?

002-3.jpg
    Cut the crap. Obama reached out from the beginning and the Republicans made clear they weren't interested in getting a bill passed. These meetings took place after every effort was made to bring Republicans into the process.

They were invited to all kinds of meetings, starting over a year ago.
    They instead decided to just say No and now they are going to pay for it.
    Benjamin Franklin

There is no kind of dishonesty into which otherwise good people more easily and frequently fall than that of defrauding the government.

Hmmmm...... I seem to remember the "Gang of Six" of the Senate Finance Committee, headed by Max Baucus. A gang with 3 Dems, and 3 Repubs. It didn't have to be 3 on 3, seeing the Dems had the majority. Baucus wanted it that was. Also, how many Repub Amendments are in the Senate bill? I don't know the exact number, but I believe it is quite a few. Not invited to the meetings???? Gimme a break! Spin away!
    Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
    a sense of humor to console him for what he is.
    Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    Hmmmm...... I seem to remember the "Gang of Six" of the Senate Finance Committee, headed by Max Baucus. A gang with 3 Dems, and 3 Repubs. It didn't have to be 3 on 3, seeing the Dems had the majority. Baucus wanted it that was. Also, how many Repub Amendments are in the Senate bill? I don't know the exact number, but I believe it is quite a few. Not invited to the meetings???? Gimme a break! Spin away!
    Last count I heard was at 100 republican amendments in the bill. The Repukes just have sour grapes because it was not 100 percent their bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mwillman
    They were invited to all kinds of meetings, starting over a year ago.
    They instead decided to just say No and now they are going to pay for it.
    No, we are going to pay for it, even you dipshit.

Cut the crap. Obama reached out from the beginning and the Republicans made clear they weren't interested in getting a bill passed. These meetings took place after every effort was made to bring Republicans into the process.
    Only because no compromise was ever offered, it was our way or the highway. We will see how it goes now as all of their futures are riding on this bill.

So do you have insurance in that new job you took 6 months ago or so?

Only because no compromise was ever offered, it was our way or the highway. We will see how it goes now as all of their futures are riding on this bill.

So do you have insurance in that new job you took 6 months ago or so?
    You are so full of crap. The liberals were pissed at Obama for giving in to the Republicans.

You are so full of crap. The liberals were pissed at Obama for giving in to the Republicans.
    No Kid, you are full of crap and if you aren't careful you might slip and fall in it.