Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: NYC terror suspect admits plot and pleads guilty

  1. #1

    Default NYC terror suspect admits plot and pleads guilty

    Did the system work?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100222/.../us_nyc_terror
    By ADAM GOLDMAN and TOM HAYS, Associated Press Writers Adam Goldman And Tom Hays, Associated Press Writers Mon Feb 22, 6:30 pm ET
    NEW YORK A former airport shuttle driver accused of buying beauty supplies to make bombs for an attack on New York City subways pleaded guilty Monday, admitting he agreed to conduct an al-Qaida-led "martyrdom plan" because of U.S. involvement in his native Afghanistan.

    Najibullah Zazi told a judge the terror network recruited him to be a suicide bomber in New York, where he went to high school and once worked a coffee car just blocks from the World Trade Center site.

    "I would sacrifice myself to bring attention to what the U.S. military was doing to civilians in Afghanistan," Zazi said in court.

    The Associated Press learned earlier this month that the jailed Zazi had recently volunteered information about the bomb plot in the first step toward a plea deal. His cooperation suggests prosecutors hope to expand the case and bring charges against other suspects in one of the most serious terrorism threats in the U.S. since Sept. 11, 2001.

    The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the terror investigation is ongoing.

    Zazi, 25, pleaded guilty to conspiring to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiring to commit murder in a foreign country and providing material support for a terrorist organization. He faces a life prison sentence without parole at a sentencing in June.

    Zazi said in court he went to Pakistan in 2008 to join the Taliban and fight against the U.S. military but was recruited by the terrorist network and went into a training camp in Warziristan, a region of Pakistan where al-Qaida is known to operate. Zazi said he received weapons training at the camp and later learned about explosives.

    Zazi also said in court that he had been in contact with an al-Qaida leader while in Pakistan but did not identify the person.

    "We were recruited by al-Qaida ... to go the United States in a martyrdom plan," he said.

    The Pakistan Embassy in Washington declined to comment on Zazi's case.

    Zazi admitted building homemade explosives with beauty supplies purchased in the Denver suburbs and cooked up in a Colorado hotel room. He then drove the materials to New York just before the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

    While entering the city, he was stopped by police for a routine traffic violation on the George Washington Bridge, which connects New Jersey and New York. Suspicious police allowed him to go free but kept a close watch on his movements.

    Days later, authorities raided several Queens apartments, including a friend's home where Zazi had stayed.

    Asked by federal Judge Raymond J. Dearie if he had been willing to be a suicide bomber, Zazi said, "Yes, your honor."

    He said the terrorism plot was aimed at the city subway system but did not name a specific target.

    A law enforcement official familiar with the case told the AP that Zazi was spooked by the traffic stop and flushed the explosive materials down the toilet after arriving in New York.

    One of the people familiar with the investigation said that Zazi told prosecutors that he made roughly two pounds of a powerful and highly unstable explosive called triacetone triperoxide, or TATP.

    The same explosive was used by would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid in 2001 and the terrorists who carried out the London bombings in 2005 that killed 52 people.

    In those instances, TATP was not the main charge; it was the detonator. Experts have said the TATP in the Zazi case was probably going to be just the detonator.

    One of the people familiar with the Zazi case told the AP that Zazi decided to cooperate after being warned that his mother could face criminal immigration charges. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is in progress.

    After Monday's hearing, Zazi's attorney, William Stampur, would only say: "The plea speaks for itself."

    The 10-page plea agreement is sealed.

    Others charged in the terror case include Zazi's father, Mohammed Wali Zazi, who was accused this month of trying to get rid of chemicals and other evidence.

    After initially demanding that he be jailed in Brooklyn without bail, prosecutors agreed to a deal on Feb. 17 releasing him on $50,000 bond and allowing him to return to his home in suburban Denver.

    By contrast, bond for a Queens imam charged with lying to the FBI about phone contact with Zazi when Zazi was in New York was set at $1.5 million. A friend of Zazi's, New York cab driver Zarein Ahmedzay, was jailed without bail on a similar lying charge.

    Authorities say Ahmedzay and another former high school classmate of Zazi's, Adis Medunjanin, traveled to Pakistan with Zazi in 2008. Medunjanin has pleaded not guilty to charges he conspired to kill U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan and remains jailed.

    Officials earlier confirmed reports week that Zazi's uncle had been arraigned on a felony count in secret a sign that he also could be cooperating.
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

    Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

    Historical Tax Chart

    People's Budget

    Brain Washing In America

  2. #2
    Senior Member California Chrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern by the grace of God
    Posts
    41,856

    Default

    They threatened to deport or do something to his mom. Doubt that will do a lot with foreign terrorists like KSM or others.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rural Ohio
    Posts
    3,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirMoby
    It sure did. They found an American citizen in America planning to perform an act of terrorism. They put him thru the American legal system and came up with a conviction. That is way it is supposed to work.

    However it appears that you are implying that the same should be done for KSM or others that are NOT American citizens caught in this country. Apples and oranges.

  4. #4
    Senior Member T-Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    18,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GetAClue
    It sure did. They found an American citizen in America planning to perform an act of terrorism. They put him thru the American legal system and came up with a conviction. That is way it is supposed to work.

    However it appears that you are implying that the same should be done for KSM or others that are NOT American citizens caught in this country. Apples and oranges.
    Najibullah Zazi had his green card but he is not an American citizen.

    What about Richard Reid? How did that work out?

  5. #5

    Default Did the military tribunals work?

    Detainee Convicted of Terrorism Charge at Guantanamo Trial




    The Department of Defense announced today that a detainee at Guantanamo, David Matthew Hicks of Australia, has been convicted of material support to terrorism in the first trial by military commission under the Military Commissions Act of 2006.

    Hicks, 31, plead guilty earlier this week to one charge of providing material support to terrorism, a non-capital offense that carried a maximum sentence of life in prison. As part of a pretrial agreement, Hick’s sentence has been limited to not more than nine months confinement. A military commission panel of eight officers decided a sentence of seven years confinement, although six years and three months will be suspended per the conditions of the agreement. The sentence will be served in Australia as part of a transfer agreement with the United States.

    As part of the pretrial agreement, Hicks admitted to 35 facts that supported the charge. These facts included training at multiple al-Qaeda camps in Afghanistan and joining fighters at Kandahar Airport and frontline forces in Konduz after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

    Hicks will be transferred to the control of the Australian government within 60 days. Hicks affirmed that he has never been illegally treated by anyone while in U.S. custody, from the time of his capture in Afghanistan in December 2001 through his time at Guantanamo.

    Military commissions are regularly constituted courts, affording all the necessary judicial guarantees which are recognized as indispensable by civilized peoples for purposes of common Article 3 of the Geneva Convention.

    Trials by military commission demonstrate that the United States is committed to holding dangerous terror suspects accountable for their actions. Military commissions provide a mechanism to serve justice to those accused of law of war violations while keeping the United States, friends and allies safe from those bent on carrying out attacks on civilian populations and coalition forces.


    http://www.defense.gov/releases/rele...eleaseid=10678



    The link below is priceless!

    http://news.findlaw.com/cnn/docs/git...ks604chrg.html



    Bin Laden's driver is going home

    Salim Ahmed Hamdan of Yemen was jailed for more than five years at Guantanamo.

    November 25, 2008|Carol J. Williams , Williams is a Times staff writer.

    Salim Ahmed Hamdan, Osama bin Laden's onetime driver and the first of only two terrorism suspects convicted at Guantanamo Bay, is being transferred from the offshore prison to his Yemeni homeland, a government lawyer familiar with the case said Monday.

    Hamdan, who is about 40, was found guilty of material support for terrorism by a six-member military jury in August.

    He was acquitted of the more serious charge of conspiracy and sentenced to just five months longer than the five-plus years he had served, mostly in maximum security isolation, at the U.S. naval base in Cuba.

    The disclosure that Hamdan was already off the base or would be within hours signaled that the Bush administration had conceded its effort to severely punish the $200-a-month Al Qaeda driver had failed.

    Bush administration officials sought and were denied reconsideration of Hamdan's 66-month sentence after trial by the Pentagon's Office of Military Commissions. Prosecutors deemed the term too lenient. They had asked that Hamdan serve 30 years to life.

    Government lawyers had cast him as one of those who helped plot and execute the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

    During Hamdan's three-week trial, his defense lawyers elicited testimony portraying the slight, soft-spoken defendant as a hired hand with a fourth-grade education, a man who drove Bin Laden and at times acted as a bodyguard but was excluded from the terrorist group's inner circle.

    About 100 of the 250 prisoners still at Guantanamo are Yemenis. Many of them are expected to be sent home once President Bush leaves office and the Pentagon is compelled to dismantle the prison and the interrogation and prosecution operations that have drawn international condemnation.

    A lawyer involved in the commissions said he regarded the transfer of Hamdan as the "grease" needed to launch the repatriation of Yemenis after years of diplomatic standoff between the U.S. and Yemeni governments.

    Neither the spokeswoman for the task force that operates the detention facilities, Navy Cmdr. Pauline A. Storum, nor commissions spokesman Joseph DellaVedova, responded to requests for confirmation of Hamdan's transfer.

    Pentagon officials routinely refuse to discuss detainee movements, claiming security concerns.

    The Yemeni news agency, SABA, reported from the capital Sanaa that "well-informed sources said on Monday that U.S. authorities would extradite Salim Hamdan to Yemen in the coming few days."

    Monday marked exactly seven years since Hamdan was captured at a roadblock near Kandahar, Afghanistan, as he returned from taking his wife and a daughter to Pakistan to escape the bombardment of suspected Al Qaeda and Taliban strongholds in the weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks.

    He was held by U.S.-led Afghan fighters, then by clandestine U.S. government agents for two months before he was sent to Guantanamo.

    Hamdan had cooperated with his captors while in Afghanistan, testimony during his trial indicated. Information thought to have led to his reduced sentence and acquittal on the conspiracy charge was disclosed to the military judge and jury during a closed session.

    Hamdan has a wife and two daughters in Yemen.

    http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov...on/na-hamdan25


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Mike
    Najibullah Zazi had his green card but he is not an American citizen.
    What a libtard! This is a political debate. There's no room for facts.
    '
    '
    $20,000,000 voter fraud that you will never hear about on Fox News.

    Some numbers based on facts or liberal propaganda as some call it

    Historical Tax Chart

    People's Budget

    Brain Washing In America

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •