Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Evil Capitalists

Quote Originally Posted by mwillman
    I see you have run out of talking points and have reverted to basically grunting.

You want government forcing others to live as you see fit, whether it affects you or not. Hence my sarcastic comment when you make a ridiculous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by kres24GT
    Can you read Harry? I just said I am not saying capitalism works. I simply pointed out your post was bogus, and it was. We do not have anything closely resembling a free market, so pointing to today's problems as an example of capitalism not working is bogus.
    You're a strange duck Kres...all you do is promote the free market and when I assume you think capitalism works you say that's not what you're talkig about. Every time markets are deregulated, financial markets that is, we have an economic crisis. Whether it was the 1930's when companies were not to big to fail. Or today when they supposedly are. I dont think you are really enough of a student of history to make the statements you do...

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Harry
    You're a strange duck Kres...all you do is promote the free market and when I assume you think capitalism works you say that's not what you're talkig about. Every time markets are deregulated, financial markets that is, we have an economic crisis. Whether it was the 1930's when companies were not to big to fail. Or today when they supposedly are. I dont think you are really enough of a student of history to make the statements you do...
    My only point was that you can't use today's USA as proof capitalism doesn't work. That's like using 13th century Mongolia as an example of how communism doesn't work or Europe in the dark ages as example of how democracy doesn't work.

We are not a capitalistic nation, we certainly are not an economically free nation. Every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by the government with very few not in some way controlled by the government.

My only point was that you can't use today's USA as proof capitalism doesn't work. That's like using 13th century Mongolia as an example of how communism doesn't work or Europe in the dark ages as example of how democracy doesn't work.

We are not a capitalistic nation, we certainly are not an economically free nation. Every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by the government with very few not in some way controlled by the government.
    What you say is true, but we are also not a monarchy, not a dictatorship and not a police state. Our country is a republic with a government that is a self ruling representative democracy. To say that every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by the government is saying that every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by ourselves.

We the people have rejected laissez-faire capitalism because we have seen in our history that it does not work. We, as a people have also rejected communism for much of the same reasons. We are what we are.

Whatever impediments that we have to unbridled freedom are self imposed. As a society, we have decided that anything goes is not a course we wish to follow and have place limitations on ourselves. The beauty of our society is that we can collectively add or remove these limitations as we see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    What you say is true, but we are also not a monarchy, not a dictatorship and not a police state. Our country is a republic with a government that is a self ruling representative democracy. To say that every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by the government is saying that every aspect of our business transactions are overseen by ourselves.

We the people have rejected laissez-faire capitalism because we have seen in our history that it does not work. We, as a people have also rejected communism for much of the same reasons. We are what we are.

Whatever impediments that we have to unbridled freedom are self imposed. As a society, we have decided that anything goes is not a course we wish to follow and have place limitations on ourselves. The beauty of our society is that we can collectively add or remove these limitations as we see fit.
    All irrelevant to my point and a totally different discussion.

I didn't ask you that. I'm asking you when a pure capitalism market worked period in history ever and didn't lead the the monopoly of power and the subjugation of the individual workers...please expound. You are promoting a philosophy and I'm asking you to support it with historical precedence...

I didn't ask you that. I'm asking you when a pure capitalism market worked period in history ever and didn't lead the the monopoly of power and the subjugation of the individual workers...please expound. You are promoting a philosophy and I'm asking you to support it with historical precedence...

I have promoted no philosophy in this thread. If you want to do another thread on it, so be it. In this one all I did was point you a flaw in your comment. Whether or not a free market is a good thing is irrelevant to the point I made. You made a bogus statement and I called you on it.

I will say funny everything you are describing here is happening right now in a heavily regulated and government controlled market.

Companies combining into one and lack of competition form the little guy... check.

Power of workers diminishing... check.

Wages falling... check.

I have promoted no philosophy in this thread. If you want to do another thread on it, so be it. In this one all I did was point you a flaw in your comment. Whether or not a free market is a good thing is irrelevant to the point I made. You made a bogus statement and I called you on it.

I will say funny everything you are describing here is happening right now in a heavily regulated and government controlled market.

Companies combining into one and lack of competition form the little guy... check.

Power of workers diminishing... check.

Wages falling... check.
    Kres, you're really being disingenious and I'm about done having any real dialogue with you...unless you can show some integrity. You've been posting for as long as I can remember in favor of a free market economy with no government intervention.

I'm simply asking you to finally prove your claims that this is a better system with some kind of historical precedent. You keep avoiding answering the questions. Which tells me you don't have one.

Is our system perfect, no. But unless you can prove otherwise, I'll go on the history of showing that reducing regulation to upset the balance of the market almost always causes a financial downturn...

Kres, you're really being disingenious and I'm about done having any real dialogue with you...unless you can show some integrity. You've been posting for as long as I can remember in favor of a free market economy with no government intervention.

I'm simply asking you to finally prove your claims that this is a better system with some kind of historical precedent. You keep avoiding answering the questions. Which tells me you don't have one.

Is our system perfect, no. But unless you can prove otherwise, I'll go on the history of showing that reducing regulation to upset the balance of the market almost always causes a financial downturn...

Harry, I said nothing in this thread about capitalism working or free markets being perfect. Please show me where I did or what it has to do with my comments in this thread.

If you want to start a thread for my opinion on free markets do so and I will answer. Has nothing to do with my comments in this thread.