Thread: What is the status of ObamaCare in Congress?

Default What is the status of ObamaCare in Congress?

The legislation, ObamaCare - health care for all - is in committee. Wikipedia explains this procedure below:

United States Congressional Committee
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A congressional committee is a legislative sub-organization in the United States Congress that handles a specific duty (rather than the general duties of Congress). Committee membership enables members to develop specialized knowledge of the matters under their jurisdiction. As "little legislatures," committees monitor on-going governmental operations, identify issues suitable for legislative review, gather and evaluate information, and recommend courses of action to their parent body. Woodrow Wilson once said "...it is not far from the truth to say that Congress in session is Congress on public exhibition, whilst Congress in its committee rooms is Congress at work."

Congress divides its legislative, oversight, and internal administrative tasks among approximately 200 committees and subcommittees. Within assigned areas, these functional subunits gather information; compare and evaluate legislative alternatives; identify policy problems and propose solutions; select, determine, and report measures for full chamber consideration.

In other words Democrats and Republicans are "working out," or probably "fighting out" the terms of ObamaCare. It is a difficult time to get specific facts because the status changes constantly. The best way to keep up on the changes is to watch a reliable network news. I like the CBS Evening News because they have a lot of exclusive, insider reporting.

Every web site on the net has a half dozen threads on ObamaCare. My thread talks about the process of making ObamaCare law, and evidently no one has a word. What does that tell you about Internet Americans? All talk, and no action. Walter Cronkite was right;

"And that's the way it is."

Last edited by Surfrider; 08-12-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carmenghia
    I know this administration was hoping that senior citizens would get Alzheimer's disease so they wouldn't realize what was going on. But I think they get it and they are the wrong group to mess with since they are the largest voting group (and getting bigger with the baby boomers)Obama's Senior MomentWhy the elderly are right to worry when the government rations medical care.
    You know this is almost the straw that breaks this camel's back. We ObamaCare - health care for all - supporters have been fighting like mad to get this legislation passed. Then we run up against something like this from the giant medical corporations, and probably the Republican Party.

The ObamaCare bill has passed the House. It is now in committee where the bill will be negotiated by both political parties, nobody knows what the final version of ObamaCare is going to look like. These 'suits' are out there scaring senior citizens with Alzheimer's and rations of medical care. The U. S. Senate doesn't even vote on it until this fall! Can Republicans get any lower than this in politics?

For Christ sake, the giant medical corporations are spending a million dollars a day to kill ObamaCare! Please call your U. S. Senator and support ObamaCare, health care for all.

Last edited by Surfrider; 08-16-2009 at 02:51 PM.

I think the term "ObamaCare" invites distrust, by anyone fearful of too much governmental control.
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf-Herder
    I think the term "ObamaCare" invites distrust, by anyone fearful of too much governmental control.
    The term Obamacare was started by the Republicans as a slam. Democrats liked it because it took complex legislation, and made it easy to understand, "ObamaCare, health care for all." The Dems did change the spelling a bit to ObamaCare. The concept of ObamaCare came from this quotation during the election campaign. This issue hits the president very personally. Note President Obama's selection of words. You just can't understand until it happens to you. It has touched my family too:

Question: Is health care in America a privilege, a right, or a responsibility?

President Barack Obama: "Well, I think it should be a right for every American. In a country as wealthy as ours, for us to have people who are going bankrupt because they canít pay their medical bills--for my mother to die of cancer at the age of 53 and have to spend the last months of her life in the hospital room arguing with insurance companies because theyíre saying that this may be a pre-existing condition and they donít have to pay her treatment, thereís something fundamentally wrong about that."

Source: 2008 second presidential debate against John McCain Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by Surfrider; 08-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.