PDA

View Full Version : William F Buckley's comments on CBS about conservative philosophy

Bill
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM
For true conservatives, the saddest thing about the last five years is the abandonment of conservative ideals. At last the father of modern conservatism is given a chance to speak by the liberal media.

"I think Mr. Bush faces a singular problem best defined, I think, as the absence of effective conservative ideology with the result that he ended up being very extravagant in domestic spending, extremely tolerant of excesses by Congress," Buckley says. "And in respect of foreign policy, incapable of bringing together such forces as apparently were necessary to conclude the Iraq challenge."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/22/eveningnews/main1826838.shtml

Asked what President Bush's foreign policy legacy will be to his successor, Buckley says "There will be no legacy for Mr. Bush. I don't believe his successor would re-enunciate the words he used in his second inaugural address because they were too ambitious. So therefore I think his legacy is indecipherable"

Moby
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
What I can't figure out is why conservatives still support Dubya. As Buckley points out very clearly, he is not conservative in any way. It seems that now the republicans will be known as the "spend and spend party" or the party of big government.

CatsEye
07-24-2006, 09:42 PM
...At last the father of modern conservatism is given a chance to speak by the liberal media."

LOL...yeah, CBS News has long been a bastion of that mythical "liberal media." :lmao2:

"There will be no legacy for Mr. Bush...<snip>...I think his legacy is indecipherable."

A lot of Americans can already see the legacy Mr. Bush is going to leave -- the writing on the wall has been quite decipherable for some time now.

Jesse Hemingway
10-01-2007, 11:46 AM
For true conservatives, the saddest thing about the last five years is the abandonment of conservative ideals. At last the father of modern conservatism is given a chance to speak by the liberal media.

"I think Mr. Bush faces a singular problem best defined, I think, as the absence of effective conservative ideology with the result that he ended up being very extravagant in domestic spending, extremely tolerant of excesses by Congress," Buckley says. "And in respect of foreign policy, incapable of bringing together such forces as apparently were necessary to conclude the Iraq challenge."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/22/eveningnews/main1826838.shtml

Asked what President Bush's foreign policy legacy will be to his successor, Buckley says "There will be no legacy for Mr. Bush. I don't believe his successor would re-enunciate the words he used in his second inaugural address because they were too ambitious. So therefore I think his legacy is indecipherable"

I had to dust this eulogy off.
Once the brains of the Republican Party gets turned off the body of the Republican Party may flay around in a spastic fashion as it slowly dies.

R.I.P
Republican Party
1865-2000

disrupter
10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
call it like it is,
intellectual bankruptcy.

Linkster
10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
I would love to see a new party of conservatism arise form the ashes of the republican party - leave behind this new republicanism and truly start a good clean conservative party. Buckley is right and all of those that were in his league have been saying the same thing all along - since the time of Reagan. There is a huge difference now between republican and conservative - Im almost thinking that we could go back to the original party called the Democrat-Republican party that existed before the republican party split off in the 1800s - and a new Federalist party to support people that think like Bush

disrupter
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Conservationists & Conservatives should be similar meanings,

but perversely neocons & military madmen have raped 'conservative' of all its meaning. It is a hollowed out word, a pretense, a deception.

neocons & military madmen are psychotic, greedy, blood-lusting sickos.
Every utterance of 'patriotism', 'honor', 'morality' are wild lurid distortions that have been given anti-meanings.

anti-meaning - polar opposite meaning perversely given to the original word.

They are intellectual perverts.
Monstrosities of humanity.
A disgrace to all balanced minds of the Universe.

Jesse Hemingway
10-01-2007, 11:17 PM
DA fish becomes rancid from the head down

Cat slave
10-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I would love to see a new party of conservatism arise form the ashes of the republican party - leave behind this new republicanism and truly start a good clean conservative party. Buckley is right and all of those that were in his league have been saying the same thing all along - since the time of Reagan. There is a huge difference now between republican and conservative - Im almost thinking that we could go back to the original party called the Democrat-Republican party that existed before the republican party split off in the 1800s - and a new Federalist party to support people that think like Bush

Conservative and Republican are no longer interchangeable! The lines between
our two ruling parties have become so blurred that its hard to tell the difference
anymore.

"Think like Bush"??? Who would want to?????:disbelief:

Linkster
10-02-2007, 01:12 AM
I understand that cat slave - it irks me to see these new republicans call themselves conservative when they have no earthly idea what it really has meant to a lot of us for decades - at least those of us that remember being a true republican back in the 60s and 70s

Linkster
10-02-2007, 01:22 AM
BTW - if you ever really want to see conservative values as they should be instead of what the right wing media tries to feed you these days - go over to you tube and search for the debate that Buckley had with Vidal in 1968 - it was televised and they just about went to fisticuffs on the set they got so heated - it was great.