PDA

View Full Version : A TRUE 'FEEL GOOD' ARTICLE

stefan segal
03-24-2007, 10:33 AM
THIS PIECE IS EVIDENCE CONTRARY TO THOSE WHO DEMAND INSTANT ACTION FROM DEMS...AND IS INSTRUCTIVE IN THE WAY THINGS WORK IN THE REAL WORLD.
Stefan

http://musingsandmutterings.com/2007/03/17/scandal-in-the-bush-administration-impeachment-in-all-but-name/

Impeachment In All But Name: Scandal in the Bush Administration
Posted on March 17, 2007
| buzz-it!

The new Democratic Congress is finally getting down to some of the business for which it was elected. I don’t want to make light of the things already accomplished. There were business items long overdue that had to be taken care of in the first few weeks. To a large degree, these items were “low hanging fruit,” items that had only minimal opposition and could be passed quickly. Some of the “first 100 hours” reforms passed in the House include:

Ethics reform,
An increase in the federal minimum wage for the first time in 10 years,
Enactment of the 9-11 commission’s recommendations,
Expanded stem-cell research,
Government negotiation of prices with prescription drug companies,
Student loan interest rates cut in half,
The elimination of billions in subsidies for big oil companies.
from Democrats.org

It is to the leadership’s credit that before becoming bogged down in contentious issues that they should clear away what could be quickly accomplished. Efforts to hold the administration accountable will meet with much stiffer opposition.

All but the bluest of the blue dog Democrats are on record against the war, but so far have not been able to get past Republicans in the Senate. Ending the war should remain Congress’s first priority, but again, it would be foolish to get bogged down on the one issue, even one so important as this. Instead, we are beginning to see, through many hearings and inquiries, the wearing away of the administration’s armor. When in time the cronyism, incompetence, corruption, and contempt for democracy and the American people of the current administration is fully exposed, all reasonable alternatives become, once again, possible.

Last week, through his connection to the Libby verdict, Vice President Cheney was under fire. This week Attorney General Alberto Gonzales wishes he had it so easy, now being investigated on at least three separate issues.

The serious but esoteric question of the firing of at least 8 U.S. Attorneys grew some legs this week, further questions are being asked about warrantless spying on American citizens, and especially about his role in blocking an independent investigation of the wiretapping. Last week’s revelation of the FBI’s abuse of “National Security Letters,” still requires further investigation.

Investigations of Karl Rove’s involvement in the Valerie Plame Wilson affair, as well as the U.S. Attorney firings are only getting started.

Activists are calling on Congress to impeach the president and Dick Cheney. I’m fully sympathetic with those feelings. But, when the Republican opposition is still unwilling to bring our troops home from a vastly unpopular war, and have been successful blocking legislation for that purpose, the writing is on the wall against the more controversial and less concrete goal of holding impeachment hearings.

In the current election cycle, removing Bush and Cheney from office, given the time it will take, will serve the public interest only marginally more than a clean election. Impeachment might provide some [read immense] satisfaction to those who have watched this administration trample American values and spit on the Constitution. Holding Bush / Cheney to account for the last 6 years and more will do approximately the same thing. Exposing their contempt for ordinary Americans, demonstrated in their actions, will take away much of their support and render them mostly harmless—and mostly harmless is pretty good in today’s politics.

When we look at the meaning of impeachment, that of exposing the misconduct of office holders and holding them to account, Democrats need mostly to do what they’ve begun to do: hold hearings and press conferences, doggedly turning up all available examples of administration malfeasance. Actual crimes uncovered should be prosecuted. The argument of executive power allowing the president to do what is criminal should be thoroughly discredited. If public servants and the media bring the truth to light, the administration, through past and present actions, will impeach itself.

exarmyranger
03-24-2007, 10:42 PM
It took over one year,for my requested Release from Contract,to be approved,allowing me to retire without any serious restrictions.Like where to/or where not to live,work/conduct busn...who to/or not to socialize with,ect.The Oath I took however remain's intact for the duration of my life,and does restrict me from discussing certain factual accounts on which I base some of my opinions...G.H.W.B,had been one of the Director's of the company I was under contract with for 16 yrs.I was released from my contract,in june of 1991.My reasons were not due to health.They were personal.I suppose you could say a mixture of,contempt held for the new King,and I began having acute attacks of concience as well. thanx for another imo good post.t/c ex

Linkster
03-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Too bad that they got all of those things done - and now the Senate is sitting on every one of them which is why not a single thing the Dems promised in the first 100 hours has happened - hell they cant even get the congressmen to work more than 3 days a week which is the first thing Pelosi promised - to work 5 days a week - as a famous man once said of politicians - they all lie to get what they want

exarmyranger
03-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Too bad that they got all of those things done - and now the Senate is sitting on every one of them which is why not a single thing the Dems promised in the first 100 hours has happened - hell they cant even get the congressmen to work more than 3 days a week which is the first thing Pelosi promised - to work 5 days a week - as a famous man once said of politicians - they all lie to get what they want
:cool: Yep,and they will lie to keep what they get as well :cool: ex