PDA

View Full Version : Black Panthers vs MLK

imgonnaeaturlunch
03-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Who had a greater impact on America. Well the answer is obviously the Black Panthers , for unfortunately violence gets peoples attention quicker than non-violence. MLK was a great leader but his non-violent approach looked good compared to the Black Panthers violent approach. Therefore the U S government was more willing to work with MLK because the alternative was the Panthers. And what did this get MLK........ murdered that's all n by Jamers Earl Ray ????????????

Linkster
03-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I dont agree - the people that had the greatest impact (I assume youre only talking civil rights) were LBJ, Stokely Carmichael (although he was the PM of the Black Panthers he didnt advocate violence) and the SNCC.

As far as the assassination of MLK - its pretty much a given that it was done by the government or some group paid by them with a fall guy provided - I cant remember anyone doubting that it was back when it happened - of course nowadays for those that werent around then, it all sounds like tin-hat stuff so we old timers just laugh at the youngsters knowing what theyre in for :)

imgonnaeaturlunch
03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
You make some good points but I still believe that it was the violence & the threat of more violence, with the possibilty of more african americans as well as others , joinibg the Panthers had not the U S shown signs of making changes larghely through MLK. As usual, politicians were slow to come on board.

stefan segal
03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
The government and it's miriad agencies are eminantly prepared to respond to violence.
What they are ill prepared for are responses within the law...they always seem to step on their dick when it comes to citizens rights. (the patriot act was the RX for that...but still they fuck up anyway...as cops are more public acting, whereas those who crafted the Patriot act knew it was a one-shot law the public wouldn't stand for in action...nonethelass, it would cover their ass in a blowback)

Martin Luther's march where those viscious dogs threatening to chew up little girls entertained all the white chilluns on Sunday afternoon TV who cried to their mommas...are the bad doggies going to eat up those little girls????

Some assholes remembered the black-folk's connection to the family of man...be it ever so remote, and moved to do something about it.

I can't believe those days; the murderous prejudice and corrution...but then I'm having trouble believing the shit going on today...it's like no one is watching the store...like god died and left all these christians milling around shitting on everything they're too ignorant to understand.

I never thought that much of thier god when he was alive...turning out all those defectives then buggering off leaving the rest of us to clean up his mess...hasn't improved my opinion.

Ask them...they're happy to tell you they're all sinners...even the newly born...talk about a shitty warrenty...and if that's not bad enough...now I hear god turned out a bunch of imoral types that even the sinners complain about...they call them gays...I know a couple..not as friends, as who could trust a christian not to judge you behind your back, but enough to talk to...and they really do look in their book and judge these gay types worse than imoral...but "obsceneties in the eyes of god"...can you believe that?

No wonder their god buggered off...couldn't create anything that even he wasn't ashamed of...that is if you believe these stranded christians. Maybe if they got themselves a seeing eye dog to take up the slack...at least until their god got things sorted out and worked the bugs out of his production line.

Oh well...who cares...like lipstick on a pig...an asshole is an asshole by whatever name.

Stefan

exarmyranger
03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Who had a greater impact on America. Well the answer is obviously the Black Panthers , for unfortunately violence gets peoples attention quicker than non-violence. MLK was a great leader but his non-violent approach looked good compared to the Black Panthers violent approach. Therefore the U S government was more willing to work with MLK because the alternative was the Panthers. And what did this get MLK........ murdered that's all n by Jamers Earl Ray ????????????
Hmmm,if mlk was a Gov.hit...Why? :cool: He was even more of a pain in the WH's ass.Bobbie Seals,Jessie Jackson,were a small threat.Even so. A Professer of peace and peacefull protest,makes a good:hero: alive...But a dead one make's a great :angel: .

Linkster
03-14-2007, 08:01 PM
There was a lot more to the panthers than violence (that was just the fringe) - I lived in DC and they were the ones that set up community centers, helped the elderly, ran food banks and were overall good-doers.
Unfortunately at that time, there were alot of people that didnt like them because they advocated equality - which the President at the time supported and was getting a bill passed (the housing bills etc), Johnson, who was hated by a large majority of people for doing it, including some very vocal government officials.

Remember that there were also many other groups at the time that actually partnered with the violent fringe group within the panthers - an example would be the weathermen - although the main body of the panthers wouldnt say publicly that they partnered, the violent arm was very active with the SDS at the time.

exarmyranger
03-16-2007, 08:05 PM
The "For White's-only"signs above,public drinking fountains,resterant',ect.Were gone from the windows&walls they had posted on,Though the 'WE researve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign's,were posted in thier stead...I flew out of O'Hare to Tampa,and took a twenty dollar cab ride across the bay to St.Pete.I got a room at the H.inn.streched out,and woke a few hrs later,about 7am.Coffee,OJ,eggs,and a short stack.Then make some calls,Gramma was a no answer,but my Unckle told me she had been wacthing (mr something?)who was suffering from dementcia,and other maladys of old age.and she got home by 1pm.There was (untill recenctly)a breakfast/lunch place(eatin-takeout)called Coney Island.That made the greasyest messyest greatest Chilli Dogs know to man...Gran. loved them,(me to)so I stopped for some to share with her.Then as I began to open the heavy glass door I read,(For White's Only;Negroes may use takeout window to place orders) :saywhat: I had'nt seen a whites only or similar sign in a few yrs.(or hadn't noticed if thier was)I went in and stood at the (PLace Take-Out Orders Here)...I felt I should make some reference to the offending preduditial signs.When "Can I take your order sweet thang?" was asked from a southern beauty...I'll have six chilli dogs atw...Darlin... ex :cool: