PDA

View Full Version : SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY -- GENETIC ENGINEERING ON STEROIDS

stefan segal
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
This is a lengthy and informative linked article. I first thought I would post it to the jesus thread as a goof on the "intelligent design"...to point out the specific ntelligence involved in the process...but as I read deeper into it, I began to question whether any intelligence is involved.

These freaks are recreating 1918 flue virus... then putting the step by step onto the internet...who of these assholes could make a claim to intelligence?

I think they belong in jail...but that wouldn't obviate the damage they have so thoughtlessly unleashed upon the world populations.

Someone MUST watch the store...because these freaks can create something so unearthly to our immune system that it's within the rehlm of credability, through the efforts of a very few irresponsible asshole could end all life on this planet.

Open the link and get your own take on the situation. I truely believe that this avenue of discovery could be the greatest boon to all mankind. On the other hand, those at the very point of the spear, have shown themselves incapable of reasonably sound judgment.,.thereby constituting a greater threat to the world community than a nuclear Libia.

Stefan

http://www.precaution.org/lib/07/prn_synthetic_biology.2.070222.htm

In 2003 a team led by Craig Venter produced a second synthetic virus from scratch -- and they did it in 14 days. "Scientists predict that within 2-5 years it will be possible to synthesise any virus; the first de novo [meaning, "starting from scratch"] bacterium will make its debut in 2007," says a new report 1 Mbyte PDF from the ETC Group in Canada. (pg. 1) Bacteria are definitely alive, so the creation of life from scratch, starting with simple chemicals, is upon us.

In 2005, researchers at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York and the U.S. Centers of Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta announced that "They had resurrected the lethal [1918 flu] virus. They published details of the completed genome sequencing in Nature and details of the virus recreation in Science." (p. 24) The flu virus that swept the world in 1918 was especially adept at transmitting itself from one person to the next, and it was especially deadly, killing somewhere between 20 million and 50 million humans. Reconstructing the virus using gene-splicing techniques may help us avoid another pandemic like that of 1918 -- or it may give some "genetic hacker" an idea for creating mischief on a monumental scale.

Obviously the ability to create the polio virus, or the 1918 flu virus, is an extraordinary scientific accomplishment, but freighted with dark possibilities.

In response to recreation of the 1918 virus, technology gurus Bill Joy and Ray Kurzweil told the New York Times, "This is extremely foolish, the genome [of the 1918 flu virus] is essentially the design of a weapon of mass destruction. No responsible scientist would advocate publishing precise designs for an atomic bomb... revealing the sequence for the flu virus is even more dangerous."(p. 24)

Despite such grim warnings, many new start-up firms are competing to find ways to profit from these new techniques.

Linkster
02-27-2007, 07:11 PM
In the long run it might be a good thing as right now the only vaccine we have against that type of flu strain does not work real well(Tamiflu) - and of course - guess who the holder of the patent is - Gilead Sciences, Inc - former CEO and present stockholder - D Rumsfeld :) - to the tune of about 25 million in stock options - ever wonder why there was a huge "outbreak" of media coverage of the bird flu a while back - to the point the prez ordered billions in Tamiflu stockpiled - even though the stuff doesnt work :lmao2: