PDA

View Full Version : Why Send Our Money to Africa?

Linkster
02-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I happened to be watching a program on tv(dont really remember what it was) but a statement made hit me in the gut and made me boil for some reason.
The announcer said that for every account opened or whatever they were advertising a percentage would be sent to Africa to "end AIDs"
My immediate reaction was - Why the heck are we sending money to Africa when we need to stop AIDs in the US? Wouldnt that money be better spend here? Its amazing - then I started thinking back to the "feed the children" ads you see on late night all the time - and thinking about the actual images I have in my mind driving through some back woods towns in West Virginia where the children are starving to death - and had the same thought - why are people like Bill Gates etc sending their billions overseas when we cant even feed our own children, let alone stop the spread of AIDs in our cities?

exarmyranger
02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I happened to be watching a program on tv(dont really remember what it was) but a statement made hit me in the gut and made me boil for some reason.
The announcer said that for every account opened or whatever they were advertising a percentage would be sent to Africa to "end AIDs"
My immediate reaction was - Why the heck are we sending money to Africa when we need to stop AIDs in the US? Wouldnt that money be better spend here? Its amazing - then I started thinking back to the "feed the children" ads you see on late night all the time - and thinking about the actual images I have in my mind driving through some back woods towns in West Virginia where the children are starving to death - and had the same thought - why are people like Bill Gates etc sending their billions overseas when we cant even feed our own children, let alone stop the spread of AIDs in our cities?:hi: Yo Linkster,good question...Charitable Organizations :pokefun: (non-profit).Yeah sure!The Red Cross,through donation's,provided,driver's and vehicles (ambulances) to transport wounded soldiers from battle front lines to rear triage units for medical/surgical treatment and/or evaluation.The WWI ambulance(s)were white with large red crosses painted on the sides,and roofs of their vehicles,signifing they were non-combatents.driving into ongoing battle sites to remove wounded men,many of which would have died,on the field from,shock,loss of blood,as well as those who would have lost limbs/or died,from infections(gangrene,staff)had they gone much longer without med.treatment.Estaments of casualties sufferd by(Red Cross)drivers varie.But 1 out of 4 vehicles (2 men in each) were found(or parts)beyond repair.Some held the bodys of Red Cross workers but most were empty.over 1,500 R.C.Workers remain unacounted for.90% of these ambulance teams were american.and had been in the R.C.'s Ambulance Corp.for over two years,when Pres.Wilson (against the will of the majority of American's...by the way)threw our hat in the ring,of W.W.I(W.W.I AKA "Wilsons War").After WWI the R.C.now reconized worldwide,and awash in praise,and honer,for thier selfless contributions,and sacrifices,made during the war.Found it's unsolisited donations increase to a level($)that matched or exceeded the ($) recieved from private foundations,christian/religeous org's,civic clubs,philanthopist's,ect.With thier coffiers full and overflowing,and this new charitable sentement,growing among the working class,(those nickels and dimes) add up nicely over half the households in the country drop a dime in the bucket once a week.The Red Cross,in order to keep those nickels and dimes flowing lengthend it's name to the American Red Cross.motto,"Give a Dime" Help us Help Others.Disaster Relief(flood,fire,toranado,victom's)will be provided with low,or no rent temp.housing.Food,clothes,special needs(for the infirm/handicapped)medical needs(medicines/treatment).America had many charitable org.The most notable had thier roots in Great Britian,and west European countries.The Salvation Army,Shriners,Masonic,Protistant,Catholic, lodges,Knights of Columbus,Moose,and Elk.All not-for-profit charitable org.and all established prior to the A.R.C.In a short time the a.r.c.eclipsed them all (save the Free Mason's/Shiners)in allotable funds.But no large scale disasters(resulting in displaced families,high amount of seriously injured)into which they(ARC)could relieve thier overflowing coffiers.So they cast thier eyes on western Europe,no thanks anyway we're kool,go away.Lenin,Mussolini,cen. n.e.Europe,Africa,India,China,needed but not wanted.Fifty years after it was established in 1864 by Jean Henri Dunant,and the Geneva Convention,the Red Cross ruled the world of Aid Agency's in $ spent,and $ recieved,for over 100 years without reproach,untill the 1980's when it was discoverd top level exectutives,including the director were caught with "both" hands in the cookie jar.Sending the donation's into a tailspin,Hurricane Andrew,a couple wars with lots of refugees,and the smaller disasters,erased the peoples memorys of wrong doing,and people once again decided to "Give a Dime". I guess those kids in Appalacha Cola, Kentucky coal country,just are'nt pitiful enough to use as simpathetic responce inducers.That or they know people do'nt like to think that level of poverty excists in america...So they change the channel.

BlackAsCoal
02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
America sends FAR more money to Israel than we send to Africa.

Why are we sending money .. make that wasting money in Israel?

stefan segal
02-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Black...here's some reasons:

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/05/why_the_us_give.html

EXPLANATIONS THAT SOUND BOTH TROUBLING AND FEASIBLE

- Aid was part of the U.S. promise at the Camp David peace accords to get agreements between Israel and Egypt. Egypt gets about the same amount of U.S. aid as Israel. (How long did the U.S. agree to continue funding? Forever?)

- In exchange for U.S. aid, Israel is required to buy stuff from the U.S. (mostly military), thus lining the pockets of the military industrial complex.

- U.S. politicians don’t want to lose Jewish votes.

- Many Christians in the U.S. believe that the nation-state of Israel must be restored and the Temple Mount rebuilt prior to the return of Christ and the following "Tribulation." Thus, support for Israel as a nation-state is viewed as supporting God in history's culmination.

NUTTY SOUNDING EXPLANATIONS WITH SOME GRAINS OF TRUTH

- It is noble and right because Israel has a right to exist on that particular land.

- Guilt for WWII.

- We get valuable R&D for free from Israel.

- They are our foothold for democracy in the Middle East.

- They need the military aid or they would be destroyed.

- It’s really bribes in disguise to politicians.

- Our aid makes up .7% of Israel’s budget and they would collapse without it.

- Israel is our most reliable ally in the region.

- We are keeping our promise to help others.

- Helping Israel gives us an “extended defense” against dictatorships.

- If we help Israel now, it won’t become an economic basket case and need more help later.

- Financial aide to Israel is viewed by evangelicals as some sort of insurance against God punishing America.

- To maintain our sphere of influence.

- To keep Israel militarily strong so it doesn’t need to launch a preemptive war against its neighbors while they are still weaker.

- Because if Israel fails, it looks as if democracy doesn’t work in the middle east.

- To influence policy in Israel.

- Israel is the U.S. military surrogate in the region. Attacking Iraq’s nuclear reactor is one example.

- Israel is giving us military and other technology that they wouldn’t otherwise have or give to us.

- If Israel is conquered it will trigger the end of the world.

- If we stop funding Israel now, it will make the terrorists think that terror works.

- If we abandon Israel it shows the world we won’t support our allies.

How do you explain to yourself the long list of reasons for giving massive aid to Israel?

One explanation is that it’s a coincidence caused by Israel being at the geographic center of so much history and so much oil.

The other explanation is cognitive dissonance. In other words, the real reason is emotional, but we can’t acknowledge our irrationality to ourselves, much less to others, so we concoct a fabulous set of rationalizations so we don’t seem so nutty.

I think it's a combination.

stefan segal
02-20-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1303

U.S. Should Stop Indulging Musharraf

By Husain Haqqani
Publisher: Carnegie
Gulf News, July 4, 2003
Originally appeared in the Gulf News, Indian Express, and Nation (Pakistan), July 4, 2003

Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf's Camp David meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush has yielded the promise of a $3 billion aid package for Pakistan for the next five years. But the promise of U.S. aid is not enough to help Pakistan out of its political and identity crises. To turn Pakistan's fortunes around, Musharraf and his fellow generals need to re-assess many of the key assumptions that have driven the policies of successive Pakistani rulers.

Had U.S. aid been the solitary key to a nation's success, Egypt and Turkey would have been models for emulation. Both nations, along with Israel, have been among the largest recipients of U.S. aid over the years. Pakistan, too, has regularly featured among the top ten U.S. aid recipients, despite intermittent interruptions to the flow of aid.

The question is not how much foriegn aid a nation receives but what it does with it. Pakistan has received aid packages similar to the one promised at Camp David over the last 50 years. Between 1951 and 1981, the U.S. provided $5 billion in direct economic assistance to Pakistan.

BlackAsCoal
02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Stefan Segal,

I think this wraps it up entirely ..

The other explanation is cognitive dissonance. In other words, the real reason is emotional, but we can’t acknowledge our irrationality to ourselves, much less to others, so we concoct a fabulous set of rationalizations so we don’t seem so nutty.

The other "reasons" are that fabulous set of rationalizations .. that keep us from facing our own complicity to evil.

stefan segal
02-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Coal...are you qualitied to point out evil???

You must see 'evil' everywhere you look, because big biz and religion, and politics, and universal greed, and labelers like yourself, are all over this world like a bad case of fleas.

Did you know that an evil day for a picnic call on account of rain, is a farmer's cause for joy? I think that spotting evil depends a whole lot upon where you are standing when you look for it.
Stefan

Ps...I pasted that piece...I didn't make the comments...although I am in agreeent with the rationale.

BlackAsCoal
02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Coal...are you qualitied to point out evil???

You must see 'evil' everywhere you look, because big biz and religion, and politics, and universal greed, and labelers like yourself, are all over this world like a bad case of fleas.

Did you know that an evil day for a picnic call on account of rain, is a farmer's cause for joy? I think that spotting evil depends a whole lot upon where you are standing when you look for it.
Stefan

Ps...I pasted that piece...I didn't make the comments...although I am in agreeent with the rationale.

I'm as "qualified" to express my opinion as you are.

I'm as "qualified" to recognize evil as you are to see fleas where there are none.

If you think a rainy day is "evil", I think it foolish to question what anyone sees as evil. Kinda' goes with your comment about where you're standing.

stefan segal
02-21-2007, 07:28 PM
A rainy day might be thought od as evil if you were a kid stratagizing your first piece of tail at a picnic...but I was actually just pointing out that one might see evil...or even a whole evil empire, realizing that people who are subhuman without normal rights to live and raise their family, are sitting on oil you want and they aren't giving it to you...now that's evil with a capital E.

But I think you already knew my intent, and just wanted to ridicule the messenger a bit...a reflex...It's a thing they ought to check when testing newborns for congenital impairments...because if they don't catch it early enough, they will grow up to be reugs...

What a crime, when I think of all the money spent for newborns with AIDs, and no thought at all to to these poor chilluns facing a life of repug disease.

Stefan

exarmyranger
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Lets look at this,and a few related fact's...Fact,Africa holds more natural resoures(gold,diamonds,oil,land suitabe for farming,ect.)than the rest of the world's nations combined.Geographically the continent makes access to the ME. far easier.The U.S.may have once been known as a humantarian nation,that perception no longer excists...The 1st europian's when thier attemps to settle on lands were met with opossition by the indigenous people(s). :talktothehand: seems the "Word of God" tack.was'nt working,and they were too small in thier number's to entertain (for now) any thought of armed conquest.Two feasible options (Leave,or try to barter)Blankets,beads,metal pots,pans,ect.Were given,and recieved.Plus a bit of distilled spirits.This bought them enough time to bring a ship full of smallpox victoms,(the living ones)to the land.Efficently killing half the native population...Africa has it,we(and most of the world) want it..."Gain the trust of your intended victom,the closer you are able to get...The better the chance of hitting your target". ex

exarmyranger
02-21-2007, 08:45 PM
If the U.S. withdrew,or cut the $'s we bestow to Isreal.Which acounts for 7 % of her anual gross national income.the State of Israel,spends 14% of that on thier military.Over half of that 14% is then spent on new/or upgraded weapons,and delivery systems.(we give them money to buy military equiptment from us!!!)How cozy...ex

stefan segal
02-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Ex...they also share weapon design with US...Isreal is leading edge in some fields.

On the other hand Pakistan gets 3billion a year, and Mushareff give money to al kaida...Isreal on the other hand is a tireless ally aremed to the teeth and young and smart.

But all these rationalizations are mach nichs...as soon as butch runs out of money to buy friends, I hear he's going to switch to hanging a porkchop around his neck strategy.

He says it works for his dog and his wife...if it can overcome all that resistance, then it ought to be a slam dunk on arabs.

(psssst. Don't mention that the arabs have a thing about pork...you'll just upset him...and you know how he is when thwarted.)

Stefan

Mr. Blue
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
My immediate reaction was - Why the heck are we sending money to Africa when we need to stop AIDs in the US? Wouldnt that money be better spend here? Its amazing - then I started thinking back to the "feed the children" ads you see on late night all the time - and thinking about the actual images I have in my mind driving through some back woods towns in West Virginia where the children are starving to death - and had the same thought - why are people like Bill Gates etc sending their billions overseas when we cant even feed our own children, let alone stop the spread of AIDs in our cities?

Because America hates Americans? I say that half in jest, but how else can you explain a country that doesn't look after it's own problems. If you make an analogy of a Father / Child relationship, how would you view a father that provided for the neighbors kids but let his own kids starve?

There's no logic in helping others before you help your own. Now if America had no poor, had no starving, had the major diseases under control, then it would be an act of humanitarianism to help the less fortunate abroad, but to do it while your own people have the same problems...it just seems illogical.

exarmyranger
02-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Yo Mr.Blue,logic?Now that would be something new...Hundreds of experts in the service of our government,whos function is to determain,the logical (if any excists)outcome to Gov.programs.Are like the messengers of the past...When the info. is bad,the gov.'s first reaction is to (Kill the Messanger)or silence them thru intimadation.Logical?ex

BlackAsCoal
02-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Because America hates Americans? I say that half in jest, but how else can you explain a country that doesn't look after it's own problems. If you make an analogy of a Father / Child relationship, how would you view a father that provided for the neighbors kids but let his own kids starve?

There's no logic in helping others before you help your own. Now if America had no poor, had no starving, had the major diseases under control, then it would be an act of humanitarianism to help the less fortunate abroad, but to do it while your own people have the same problems...it just seems illogical.

Absolutely true.

The good news is that Americans are waking up more than ever to this disfunctional relationship and are starting to realize that Israel is like a giant weight dragging down American influence and stature.

Isreal is the ONLY entity pushing America to war with Iran. The American people don't want it, US politicians don't want it, and the rest of the world most certainly doesn't want it.

BlackAsCoal
02-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Lets look at this,and a few related fact's...Fact,Africa holds more natural resoures(gold,diamonds,oil,land suitabe for farming,ect.)than the rest of the world's nations combined.Geographically the continent makes access to the ME. far easier.The U.S.may have once been known as a humantarian nation,that perception no longer excists...The 1st europian's when thier attemps to settle on lands were met with opossition by the indigenous people(s). :talktothehand: seems the "Word of God" tack.was'nt working,and they were too small in thier number's to entertain (for now) any thought of armed conquest.Two feasible options (Leave,or try to barter)Blankets,beads,metal pots,pans,ect.Were given,and recieved.Plus a bit of distilled spirits.This bought them enough time to bring a ship full of smallpox victoms,(the living ones)to the land.Efficently killing half the native population...Africa has it,we(and most of the world) want it..."Gain the trust of your intended victom,the closer you are able to get...The better the chance of hitting your target". ex

Here's another reason .. Africa is the most holy place on earth .. not Israel. Africa is the beginning of modern human history, and ALL humans on planet earth are genetically African.

exarmyranger
02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Here's another reason .. Africa is the most holy place on earth .. not Israel. Africa is the beginning of modern human history, and ALL humans on planet earth are genetically African.
Without delving into any theological debate,the Zionist's,Orthodox,Un-orthodox Hebrew's,vrs.Islam,Muslim,Sikh(Hindu Sects). Judaism is the oldest of the worlds three great monotheistic(one God)religions,and the parent of Christianity,Islam,and many other faiths.Around 2500 bc.the Semites settled in what is now Jerusalem,King David founded the present city on land he bought from the Jebusites circa 1000 bc.The capital of Israel,is the third holiest city of Islam.Africa was/is referred to as the,"Cradle of Humanity.Not the cradle of religion...The (cradle of humanity) descriptive,is due to the finding of remains,of creatures that are the ancestors of present day humans.I'm not sure if the international "Human Genome Project's", attempt at (mapping the entire genetic code of all 23 human chromosomes) met with success, failure,or is still in the proccess of completion.I may be incorrect but I thought AngloSaxon,Asiatic,Negroid,and Mongoloid,were seperate genuses,but shared the same number of chromosomes(23) that all humans have... :dunno: We (The U.S.A.) have to placate various African states.Untill we have a secure democratic based majority of Mid.Eastern,countrys kissing our red,white&blue ass.Then we can get to the rape&robbery of any African State/Country,north of the Sahara.:cool: Oh yeah Welcome to DC Junkies,:oldman:or "Howdy Doo & Welcome to what I affectionatly call,"Tommys Board for people that really need to get out more" CYA, ex.:hi:

Linkster
02-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Uh - I think Israel is considered a country in Asia - not Africa :)

exarmyranger
02-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Uh - I think Israel is considered a country in Asia - not Africa :):doh: no shit...It was a comparision smart ass:saywhat: