PDA

View Full Version : Impressive new military robot

Bill
02-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Looks like a true robot too - you tell it where it's supposed to go, and it get's there all on it's own.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=52793

http://www.stripes.com/photos/52793_224172620b.jpg

The seven-ton Crusher is programmed to get itself from point A to point B without any instructions other than some basic GPS coordinates. It has no steering wheel, no seats for passengers, and — unless the remote control override is turned on — no human driver.

It maps its own route while it cruises, picking out the quickest and easiest path to complete the mission. For boulders and riverbeds more than two meters high, the machine plans easier paths around the obstacles. For ones less than two meters, it barrels over or through them, relying on its 30-inch ground clearance and six-wheel nonskid steering system.

“This vehicle can go into places where, if you were following in a Humvee, you’d come out with spinal injuries,” said Stephen Welby, director of DARPA’s Tactical Technology Office. “Usually vehicles are set up to protect humans. Here, we didn’t have to worry about that.”

Smurf-Herder
02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Cool.

We've got over 1000 robots of different types working in Iraq and Afghanistan, the last time I read up on it. The F-22s and F-35s are supposed to be the last generation of planes that will have pilots, from what I've seen proposed.

stefan segal
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Bill...impressive toy, although I don't see much use for it...even in their projections, it appears to be a lot of weight to transport for just recon...and with the equipment aboard, it will have to have a self destruct trigger that covers a lot of scenerios..many which could be misinterpreted by computer.

It seems there is an excess of dollars to produce a seven ton proto-type without the aspiration of filling some gap in our attack/defense patterns.

It sort of pisses me off that they have this tax money to play with, but our troups need send home for practical body armor...to say nothing of the lack of armored humvees and the like.

It seems that troops are on the expendable list.

Stefan

asroc
02-25-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah this is pretty much defense pork

i wonder how much r&d was for this hunk of junk

Moby
02-25-2008, 12:03 PM
1. This is very cool. Having it go ahead in a convey could save a lot of lives if they turn it into a mine sweeper. Always with technology you have steps in place before you have something truly useful.

This is very cool technology.

It's also an example of government priorities. This may never save a single American life but if we invested the same amount of money and resources into new energy sources it may save generations.

Kinky Jones
02-25-2008, 01:04 PM
welcome to the future of warfare, if no human pulls the trigger nobody is responsible...

and yeah i wonder how many billions the technology costs us while our air force is falling apart.

Bill
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Technology can't be contained - just as GPS started as a military tech and now has massive applications thruout society, robotics will be developed first for expensive applications like military support, but will quickly (altho, admittedly, not as quickly as when tech is developed by civilian crash prghrams like space exploration) migrate to civilian use.

So, the robots we see hauling supplies to soldiers (which is this robot truck's purpose) will soon be driving tractors and coal extractors.

If this country were to start major crash programs for civilian and alternative energy tech research and development, noboby would be happier than me.

But, I'm still glad that we are pushing the tech envelope with military gear.

disrupter
02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
It is nice to see technology advance,
although often the military does so in a kind of heavy handed, expensive fashion.
and very often it is just corporate hype to cover up military defense graft.

Patriot missiles, the technology that didn't work.

SDI the technology that was never researched & was deployed without testing or a working prototype AND still doesn't work,
but we are creating an international incident with Russia over this multi-billion dollar boondoggle.

On the positive side, defense contracting helps to create a big, bloated government,
Where 2.3 Trillion dollars can just disappear from the pentagon budget & no one can nor will account for it.

Smurf-Herder
02-25-2008, 08:07 PM
http://www.military-medical-technology.com/images/ThisIssue/9_4_Art2.jpg

Unmanned to the Rescue
http://www.military-medical-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=1018

"When Gary Gilbert was a medical service corps officer in charge of an ambulance company in Germany, he thought up ideas for devices that could reduce a medic’s exposure to danger while providing care on the battlefield.

Now, Dr. Gilbert serves as chief of the Knowledge Engineering Group at the U.S. Army’s Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC), Fort Detrick, MD. His office is working on several unmanned robotics programs that would extract battlefield casualties without further endangering lives.

“I looked at robots as a way to reduce the number of wounds received by medics or buddy aid, where one soldier buddy helps another buddy,” Gilbert said. “Throughout history, most casualties among medics have been when they were treating a soldier under fire. The emerging threat of weapons of mass destruction and the potential for chemical and biological weapons use on the battlefield, make the potential for hazardous environments to treat casualties more likely.”