PDA

View Full Version : Dad releases audio of teachers allegedly bullying autistic son

Bill Cosby
04-25-2012, 02:09 AM
VERY POWERFUL YOUTUBE

tfkscHt96R0

15 hrs ago
Watch this powerful video of a dad describing how his 10-year-old, autistic son was bullied at school (http://now.msn.com/now/0424-teacher-bullies-autistic-boy.aspx#scptm2)-- not by other students, but by aides and teachers. Suspicious about why Akian was acting out, Stuart Chaifetz wired up his son and recorded 6-1/2 hours of classroom audio. He describes what he heard as "disgusting and vile ... an absolute disrespect and bullying of my son." He says the recording includes adults calling Akian a "bastard" and telling him to "shut your mouth." One aide at New Jersey's Horace Mann Elementary School has reportedly been fired, but Chaifetz wants the teacher out, an apology and legislative action "so that no teacher who bullies a child ... is allowed to retain a job."

skye
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh...this is so heartbreaking and shocking. :( I only watched the first 10 minutes but that was enough. I've worked with kids who have Autism and I've never seen anything like this before. The teacher and aides need to be fired and never allowed in a classroom again. And the school district needs to look into their hiring practices for aides and special ed teachers. The teacher needed to be responsible for her classroom and she should have known what was going on. No excuse for this kind of behavior.

kres24GT
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM
When you put your kids in government schools got to take the good with the bad. Teachers are obviously assholes, but also why is a public elementary school serving as a taxpayer funded daycare for a child who clearly needs special care and attention?

Bill Cosby
04-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Oh...this is so heartbreaking and shocking. :( I only watched the first 10 minutes but that was enough. I've worked with kids who have Autism and I've never seen anything like this before. The teacher and aides need to be fired and never allowed in a classroom again. And the school district needs to look into their hiring practices for aides and special ed teachers. The teacher needed to be responsible for her classroom and she should have known what was going on. No excuse for this kind of behavior.

Yea, it was difficult to watch/hear.......... I had to do it in segments as I was getting angry.........

skye
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
When you put your kids in government schools got to take the good with the bad. Teachers are obviously assholes, but also why is a public elementary school serving as a taxpayer funded daycare for a child who clearly needs special care and attention?

Because all kids deserve the right to an education. He was in a special ed class for children who have Autism and they should have been able to meet his needs in a public school setting considering he's typically not an aggressive kid. If the school district can't serve special needs kids then they need to pay for them to go to a facility that can....private day treatment etc...

skye
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Yea, it was difficult to watch/hear.......... I had to do it in segments as I was getting angry.........

It's very disturbing. I've never personally seen this kind of behavior in a special ed classroom setting but I'm sure it happens a lot. I have see some really unprofessional behavior coming out of some group and foster homes.

kres24GT
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Because all kids deserve the right to an education. He was in a special ed class for children who have Autism and they should have been able to meet his needs in a public school setting considering he's typically not an aggressive kid. If the school district can't serve special needs kids then they need to pay for them to go to a facility that can....private day treatment etc...

Sounds like this school was not equipped for such. From the looks of it dad dumped him in a school that could not handle him as tax payer daycare. Doesn't sound like he was getting educated very well, so I would say he probably should be somewhere where that can happen.

skye
04-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Sounds like this school was not equipped for such. From the looks of it dad dumped him in a school that could not handle him as tax payer daycare. Doesn't sound like he was getting educated very well, so I would say he probably should be somewhere where that can happen.

First...his dad didn't dump him there any more than any other parent dumps their child when they go to school. Public schools should be able to serve special needs kids in their special ed programs as long as the kid isn't aggressive and in most cases this child wasn't. That's why schools have such programs and school districts receive extra money for them. If he had been aggressive and they couldn't handle him in that kind of a classroom setting then the school should have been responsible for getting him a one to one aide or sending him to a private facility. There is no excuse for what happened and none of this is the dad's fault.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/learning/iep.html#

kres24GT
04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
First...his dad didn't dump him there any more than any other parent dumps their child when they go to school. Public schools should be able to serve special needs kids in their special ed programs as long as the kid isn't aggressive and in most cases this child wasn't. That's why schools have such programs and school districts receive extra money for them. If he had been aggressive and they couldn't handle him in that kind of a classroom setting then the school should have been responsible for getting him a one to one aide or sending him to a private facility. There is no excuse for what happened and none of this is the dad's fault.

Lots of parents dump their kids in school as a babysitting service. Not just ones that have disabilities. Plenty of parents don't give a shit about the education of their kids, hence the shitty state of education in this country.

Should be able to and are able to are two different things. Teachers are definitely shitheads who should be fired. Dad should have done his homework though. It sounds like his kid was in a school where he was being yelled at instead of being educated.

Bill Cosby
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Does that mean you didn't actually watch/listen to the clip???

Darmosiel
04-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Yes. Public schools serve all the community not just normal kids. My undergrad years were spent at a Teachers college. Special Ed was part of the studies. Some students majored in Special Ed because they wanted to teach children with all kinds of learning disabilities.

The people in this tape are unprofessional and irresponsible to their profession. The father is right. They would never get away with this kind of behavior with normal kids that could report back to their parents what is going on.

kres24GT
04-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Does that mean you didn't actually watch/listen to the clip???

Yeah I did, hence why I know he wasn't really being educated. How long was he in that school for? Sounds like it wasn't a couple of weeks before dad decided to do some parenting. I am first to admit I am wrong, but from what I read saw, he was at this school for while, hence Dad not doing his due diligence.

skye
04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Lots of parents dump their kids in school as a babysitting service. Not just ones that have disabilities. Plenty of parents don't give a shit about the education of their kids, hence the shitty state of education in this country.

Should be able to and are able to are two different things. Teachers are definitely shitheads who should be fired. Dad should have done his homework though. It sounds like his kid was in a school where he was being yelled at instead of being educated.

Do you know anyone with a special needs child and if so what kind of school setting were they in? His dad did exactly what he was supposed to do...the kid had an IEP (read the link I posted) and the kid was put into a special ed classroom that deals with Autistic kids. Most parents don't expect their child is going to get abused in a special ed classroom and this was certainly not the norm. Most special ed teachers and aides are very professional and are trained to work with this kind of a kid.

The law says every special needs child has the right to an education in the least restrictive setting which goes like this... Public school regular classroom, (mainstreaming) special ed classroom, special ed with aide, private facility and finally as a last resort home tutor.

skye
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Yes. Public schools serve all the community not just normal kids. My undergrad years were spent at a Teachers college. Special Ed was part of the studies. Some students majored in Special Ed because they wanted to teach children with all kinds of learning disabilities.

The people in this tape are unprofessional and irresponsible to their profession. The father is right. They would never get away with this kind of behavior with normal kids that could report back to their parents what is going on.

Exactly. They knew those kids would never be able to say anything to their parents.

Darmosiel
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah I did, hence why I know he wasn't really being educated. How long was he in that school for? Sounds like it wasn't a couple of weeks before dad decided to do some parenting. I am first to admit I am wrong, but from what I read saw, he was at this school for while, hence Dad not doing his due diligence.

You didn't listen closely to the tape...

The father clearly says he noticed something was wrong and notified the administration...they got a behaviorist and other people to look into it. I'm sure when the professionals were around the Teacher and the Aides were on guard. it was only when the father sent his child to school with a recording device unknown to anyone that the truth about their behavior was revealed.

I got the feeling from listening to the tape the Father had been trying to find out what was bothering his son for quite a while.

skye
04-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Geez.... blame the victim. Single dad raising an autistic child. A hard enough task for two parents. I'd say this dad is doing an amazing job.