PDA

View Full Version : technical analysis of laughter?

disrupter
12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I believe laughter is dependent on high tension loading of our sense of reality by something at least slightly independent of ourselves, that suddenly is exposed or released as 'unreal' [perceptually] sort of launching us into a kind of ballistic type sublime, fluttering, freefall.

Our sense of 'reality' is emotionally based.
Something at least slightly independent of ourselves gets very highly loaded with this tension of significance of 'reality'. [an emotional buildup]
Then at some point the entire tension build is released, like a spring or capacitor by either going too far beyond the bounds of credibility or having some fundamental undermining flaw exposed,
launching us into some subjective, ballistic [spinning?] freefall that feels [bouncingly?] sublime.

'Sort of' something is quickly built up as extremely [overly? tensely?] 'real' then snapped to completely 'unreal' to our perceptions.

there are calm sublimes, this however is probably a fast buildup of tension that gets released. A slow build probably wouldn't be as easily or quickly released, so it might be ridiculous, but not actually 'funny', humorous or laughable.

Like we build to hold our breaths with tension [awe?], then it is released as spasms or convulsions of the diaphram.
Sort of breathtaking, tension holding, then helpless convulsive release.
Like we build to holding our breath, then some deep debasement takes place, completely pulling the 'rug' out from under us.
A bit of a carnival ride.
There is a sheer [in the physics sense] factor of debasement. Like a smooth, pneumatic cleavage release.
Like we get spun by the strong pulling out of the table cloth.

oh well, stabbing around in the dark on this.

we get wound up about something [(trying to?) holding a lot of loose ends?] & then dizzyingly unspun?

I thought i had something, but maybe not so sure.

feel free to poke around.

LadyMod at scam.com
12-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Dr. Lee Berk and his associates at Loma Linda University in California have been studying the effects of laughter on the immune system. Laughter has been shown to lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones, increase muscle flexion, and boost immunity. Laughter can also trigger the release of endorphins, the body's natural painkillers (The Laughter-Immune Connection: New Discoveries, Lee S. Berk, DPH, Humor and Health Journal, vol. 5, no. 5, 1996).

A study from the University of Maryland Medical Center (2005) has shown that laughter is good for your heart. This study showed how laughter can literally help blood vessels function better. Researchers found that people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh in a variety of situations compared to people of the same age without heart disease.

http://relaxation-stress-reduction.suite101.com/article.cfm/stress_reduction_thru_humor

It does more good than harm.

Live long and laugh a lot.

Lady Mod

disrupter
12-24-2007, 04:38 PM
The reality tension builds up voidingly, passively bringing air/gas into the lungs, then the body tension releases/collapses and the convulsive [bouncing?] compression probably forces [unspecified] gaseous constituents into the blood stream?

A quickie bouncy gas internal compression ride with some residual [sublime?] euphoria.

Farting can be fun too.

disrupter
12-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I think laughter/humor has to do with our belief & credibility system.
We have some normative credible expectations of things.
Something comes along that pushes, stretches or expands our belief to encompass some new 'expanded' set of beliefs. A tension holding state.
Laughter, Humor happens the thing that expanded one's belief system collapses very fast. The faster, more smoothly, more cleanly & more sweeping that collapse happens the funnier something is.

I suppose something could even undermine/destroy long held beliefs as well. Which might be where hysterical, tragic laughter might come into play.

Also sometimes we just have difficulty believing a new genuine paradigm & our mind sort of [initially] rejects it by laughing at it, only to learn it is real & serious with experience.

In a sense it is about something that is more 'real' than our current domain real, which sort of exposes the very subjective nature of our notion of 'realness' & 'reality'.

So the art of the comedian is to create some thin fabrication, that is just barely enough to get you [or someone you observe or imagine] to buy into it & then at some moment of great tension it atomizes into nothingness.
So it happens vicariously too, where simply, even knowingly watching someone be deceived we are pushed with tension to see how far it goes before either the deceiver or the deceived break the bubble.
It also helps for you as audience to know it is a deception because you don't actually get attached to it so the revelation is more sweeping, more breathtaking.

It does also mean you can get great humor & laughter out of observing someone who doesn't get the joy of it. ie. Malicious humor.

Really funny, genuinely benign humor is probably the very hardest work of all for a comedian. The kind of practical jokes that everyone laughs at.

disrupter
12-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Maybe what makes us laugh is the helplessness of others & perhaps our own inability to do anything.

It can be benign or ruthlessly, gleefully sadistic.

The [real] laughter itself is involuntary/convulsive, even though it may be sadistic or helplessly benign.

I suppose cruel laughter is when we invest ourselves on the side of victimizer, even though we may not actively be so.
Benign laughter is when we have some empathy for the 'victim' but our disbelief perhaps leaves us helpless to effect any difference.

I will guess that being perfectly neutral is the most objective & centered,
but it could be that if one is that centered/balanced it might not even seem funny. So maybe for something to be funny/humorous we must be caught on either the empathetic side or the sadistic side.

I am not sure i am grasping anything about this at all, maybe i am just talking in circles.

that would be a first ;)

disrupter
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I think it might be like the nudibranch [sea slug] response.

we thrash, flail, spasm, convulse when we lose contact with our [comforting] reality frame of reference.

It is an attempt to re-connect with our 'sense' of reality, our [rational?] frame of reference.

To have that reassuring constancy of tactile feedback.

Something teases us up into some new or extended frame of reference and then suddenly dislodges us leaving us 'hanging' & a very deep primal response to re-connect with something that seems 'real', 'safe' or reassuring has us convulsing in some instinctive or even deeper way.

Mice have been found to have a kind of high frequency 'laughter' as well.

I think that might be correct.

disrupter
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Which fits nicely with our mammalian [other species?] enjoyment of stroking/petting.

As we mature though i think the desire for stroking may be reduced as we become familiar with the 'feel' of independent stance in a nominal void.

It is interesting that internally we still primally like that sense of stroking or resting contact, as this/my proposition about laughter might indicate.

disrupter
01-18-2008, 10:38 PM
I am thinking it is not reflexive but actually unavoidable physics, where the physical pressures escapes neurological control.

like you cantilever a bridge out thinner & thinner, but a little jar comes along and the structure collapses at the far edge.

A tense grasp of our imagination's 'reality' stretches out tensely trying to hold onto some expanded view, then some little flaw jars & breaks the surface & literally gas rotarily escapes from the system into the lungs.

Maybe consciousness & our imagination & its sense of 'reality' is sort of a configuration of [dissolved?] gas distributed in the system & circulating in the bloodstream. As our system tries to stretch to a new reality & then a flaw under cuts it we lose bloodsteam gas into the lungs. it has a kind of freefall, helpless, enjoyable feeling.

The expansion might create a larger surface area on the lungs [other?]. Making the surface thickness reduced.

It would be interesting to see if the lungs get expanded & tense prior to laughter. Clinical yay/nay evidence.

The external barriers/structure [skin?] sort of falls onto the system & the holding capacity of internal diaphrams/lungs is exceeded & gas is forced from the system/blood-stream.

[so reality is (gaseously/structurally?) dynamically held between our lungs & skin in very crude terms?]

Levity seems like a very appropriate term if this hypothesis is true.

sometimes you can just try too hard. Why don't i just give up?

disrupter
01-19-2008, 03:30 PM
I wonder if i am beginning to hate this.

thought:

Our minds are built up sort of from the skin inward to some internal cavity(s).
Think of spherical layers where the most rigid/strong are about the edges or somewhere in the middle. At the center are our lungs & the interactive construction/deconstruction zone, which all leads directly to & from the blood stream.

Somehow the [joke] story has us using air/gas &/or additional [new formed] tension held minimal resource structures to create a new/enlarged world model. Something knocks the support system out from under this newly formed, stretched structure suddenly & great convulsions of air/gas escape our lungs [diaphram?] uncontrollably, but not seriously harmfully, and it just feels good, like we are playing around in air/gas. a sense of freefall, levity, weightlessness occurs.

disrupter
02-14-2008, 11:44 PM
There is some [new or existing] structural form that is seen as needed to be integrated [stretched] into one's world view [frame of reference].
[good comedy] with one fell swoop that entire structure/form goes from attempting to integrate it to a complete discard.
biologically it releases all the tension needed to lodge/hold/sustain it, creating diaphragm convulsion, & relaxation & release of tension,
a euphoria, an elation from all that surfeit energy flowing to & uplifting everything else, by differentiation.

the target audience matters, because of their selective, varying readiness to discard different ideas or whole chunks of thought.
A dope stoned audience may guffaw at nearly nothing. Some prudish, taut, dry audience may be difficult to get even a single titter out of.

So adding new ideas to our frame of reference probably means slowing it down, & expending energy to do so. The larger our frame of reference almost certainly means more overhead to sustain it. Which is why artful, selective forgetfulness is probably a very useful ability.

We probably sculpt our societal, cultural shared frames of reference by our ear's measure of the laughter we hear.

It would take a strong will indeed to stand up to a tidal wave of laughter.

I wonder if it is common for laughter & perhaps derision to transmute readily into anger, resentment & sometimes violence? Afterall, how could an entire society be wrong?

I suppose it matters whether we are operating on a technocratic basis or an emotional yardstick basis.
Pure technocracy probably has no actual laughter.
Laughter, comedy is probably a crude instrument/method, whereas technocratics is a precision method.
Perhaps both have their places.
Laughter/comedy for general accuracy, technocracy for precision after a reasonable accuracy has been achieved.

disrupter
02-15-2008, 12:25 AM
technocracy probably has to do with things right at the surface edge, whereas laughter has to do with things we intrinsically integrate/embed.

Technocracy is probably much more energy consuming/intensive, whereas implicit integration is more energy efficient for those things about which we feel great certainty & little need to question.

disrupter
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
I was thinking the rhythm of laughter reminds me very much of a bungie jumper or perhaps someone on a trampoline.

a sort of parabolicly eccentric rhythm that repeats in decreasing amplitude.

Metaphorically in my mind it is sort of horizontal in nature.
like some dead-weight pendulum sliding on a close to frictionless surface tethered by some rubbery connector.
It does seem to have a one sided quality to it, like a gravity paradigm to it, rather than balanced stretches. Maybe it is the same either way, i am not sure.

There is some initial load condition, probably at the far stretch of elasticity that is suddenly released.

Credibility gets stretched to capacity & then is snapped free with a wonderful dipthong rhythm-ride to it. A sort of drunk [non-injurious?] helplessness to it.
I suppose some hysterical laughter could be sadly injurious, i feel badly for those people.

I suppose there is some maximal [relatively non-damaging] load capacity to our psychology.

So humor is load capacity dependent?

Maybe that is why GWB & others can laugh at other people's deaths.
I still find that very problematic.
Although with consensual death it becomes open ended to me.

Binky
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey, disruptor...is anybody in there? Pull your head out of the crack pipe for a minute and stop rambling just because you can. Step off the podium and speak less pompously. It's boring!

Analyizing laughter.........well, it's GOOD for you. It helps to heal the soul and makes physical ailments that much easier to endure. It helps to brighten the days of others. It takes one from the darkness of ones life into the light of the world. It makes ones heart pump faster. It brings a twinkle to ones eyes and a smile to the lips.

Laughter and humor are sexy. They go hand in hand to making the world a better place to live in. If you take a homely man that has a great sense of humor and a wonderful laugh, then you have one sexy man. People are drawn to others that display laughter and humor. It gives you a "high" to hear others laughing at something silly you said or did. Believe, I know this to be a fact. AND.....when they banter back and forth with you, making even more laughter, it sets the tone for the day and you are more apt to have a better day. It's a rush to act silly and make people laugh. It can be addictive.

Laughter will help you live longer. And you'll be much happier in the long run.

It doesn't take technical analytical bullpucky to discover that it's great for you. Most of us have already figured it out!

disrupter
07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Would that include vicious, malicious laughter in someone's face or at least within knowing earshot?

Your culturally conventional shallowness is impressive. lol

Oblivious to the scope of reality.

Mayflies understand what mayflies do.

you brought me a laugh, thanks.

Binky
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Would that include vicious, malicious laughter in someone's face or at least within knowing earshot?

Your culturally conventional shallowness is impressive. lol

Oblivious to the scope of reality.

Mayflies understand what mayflies do.

you brought me a laugh, thanks.

I suspect, that you must have experienced some harsh and malicious laughter in your lifetime. Haven't we all at one time or another? See, you're maliciously laughing at me now. Anyway, be that as it may, I'm not condoning hurting anyone through laughter or any other means. I'm just replying as simply as I can that laughter is good for the soul and that we, as humans, should do more of it.

And I'm happy that I was able to bring some laughter into your life. From your postings it seems as though you could use all you can get.