PDA

View Full Version : Santorum says Obama agenda not "based on Bible"

gOd
02-19-2012, 05:57 AM
Santorum says Obama agenda not "based on Bible" (http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-says-obama-agenda-not-based-bible-011457960.html)
ReutersBy Samuel P. Jacobs

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum challenged President Barack Obama's Christian beliefs on Saturday, saying White House policies were motivated by a "different theology."

A devout Roman Catholic who has risen to the top of Republican polls in recent days, Santorum said the Obama administration had failed to prevent gas prices rising and was using "political science" in the debate about climate change.

Obama's agenda is "not about you. It's not about your quality of life. It's not about your jobs. It's about some phony ideal. Some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology," Santorum told supporters of the conservative Tea Party movement at a Columbus hotel.

When asked about the statement at a news conference later, Santorum said, "If the president says he's a Christian, he's a Christian."

But Santorum did not back down from the assertion that Obama's values run against those of Christianity.

"He is imposing his values on the Christian church. He can categorize those values anyway he wants. I'm not going to," Santorum told reporters.

A social conservative, Santorum is increasingly seen as a champion for evangelical Christians in fights with Democrats over contraception and gay marriage.

"This is just the latest low in a Republican primary campaign that has been fueled by distortions, ugliness, and searing pessimism and negativity - a stark contrast with the President who is focused everyday on creating jobs and restoring economic security for the middle class," said Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt.

The campaign's response signaled a new respect for Santorum. Until this week, the Obama campaign appeared exclusively focused on Mitt Romney. Republicans are waging a state-by-state contest to pick a candidate to challenge Obama in November's election.

At a campaign appearance in Florida last month, Santorum declined to correct a voter who called Obama, a Christian, an "avowed Muslim."

Santorum told CNN after that incident, "I don't feel it's my obligation every time someone says something I don't agree with to contradict them, and the president's a big boy, he can defend himself."

QUESTIONS ROMNEY RECORD ON OLYMPICS

On Saturday, Santorum also took aim at Romney, his main Republican rival, on one of the central accomplishments of his resume, saying the former Massachusetts governor's rescue of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics required millions of dollars in handouts from the federal government.

The attack was a response to the Romney camp trying to portray Santorum as a proponent of big government because of his use of earmarks while he served in the U.S. Senate.

"He heroically bailed out the Salt Lake City Olympic Games by heroically going to Congress and asking them for tens of millions of dollars to bail out the Salt Lake Olympic Games - in an earmark," Santorum said.

"One of his strongest supporters, John McCain called it potentially the worst boondoggle in earmark history. And now Governor Romney is suggesting, 'Oh, Rick Santorum earmarked,' as he requested almost half a billion dollars of earmarks as governor of Massachusetts to his federal congressmen and senators. Does the word hypocrisy come to mind?" Santorum said.

Romney often talks of how he turned around the struggling Olympics organization and is appearing in Utah on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the Olympics.

In a statement, the Romney campaign said Santorum was in a weak position to challenge its candidate on big spending.

"Sometimes when you shoot from the hip, you end up shooting yourself in the foot. There is a pretty wide gulf between seeking money for post-9/11 security at the Olympics and seeking earmarks for polar bear exhibits at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Mitt Romney wants to ban earmarks, Senator Santorum wants more 'Bridges to Nowhere,'" said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

Vilifier of Zombies
02-19-2012, 06:05 AM
"I'm living for doughnuts and venison - that's true - and uhh...specialty gopher meat" ~ Rick Santorum

"I just want to practice soft algebra...umm uh umm uhhh, I know a few Asian guys, fairy crutches are bullshit!" ~ Rick Santorum

Psychoblues
02-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Santorum says Obama agenda not "based on Bible" (http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-says-obama-agenda-not-based-bible-011457960.html)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum challenged President Barack Obama's Christian beliefs on Saturday, saying White House policies were motivated by a "different theology."

A devout Roman Catholic who has risen to the top of Republican polls in recent days, Santorum said the Obama administration had failed to prevent gas prices rising and was using "political science" in the debate about climate change.

Obama's agenda is "not about you. It's not about your quality of life. It's not about your jobs. It's about some phony ideal. Some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology," Santorum told supporters of the conservative Tea Party movement at a Columbus hotel.

When asked about the statement at a news conference later, Santorum said, "If the president says he's a Christian, he's a Christian."

But Santorum did not back down from the assertion that Obama's values run against those of Christianity.

"He is imposing his values on the Christian church. He can categorize those values anyway he wants. I'm not going to," Santorum told reporters.

A social conservative, Santorum is increasingly seen as a champion for evangelical Christians in fights with Democrats over contraception and gay marriage.

"This is just the latest low in a Republican primary campaign that has been fueled by distortions, ugliness, and searing pessimism and negativity - a stark contrast with the President who is focused everyday on creating jobs and restoring economic security for the middle class," said Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt.

The campaign's response signaled a new respect for Santorum. Until this week, the Obama campaign appeared exclusively focused on Mitt Romney. Republicans are waging a state-by-state contest to pick a candidate to challenge Obama in November's election.

At a campaign appearance in Florida last month, Santorum declined to correct a voter who called Obama, a Christian, an "avowed Muslim."

Santorum told CNN after that incident, "I don't feel it's my obligation every time someone says something I don't agree with to contradict them, and the president's a big boy, he can defend himself."

On Saturday, Santorum also took aim at Romney, his main Republican rival, on one of the central accomplishments of his resume, saying the former Massachusetts governor's rescue of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics required millions of dollars in handouts from the federal government.

The attack was a response to the Romney camp trying to portray Santorum as a proponent of big government because of his use of earmarks while he served in the U.S. Senate.

"He heroically bailed out the Salt Lake City Olympic Games by heroically going to Congress and asking them for tens of millions of dollars to bail out the Salt Lake Olympic Games - in an earmark," Santorum said.

"One of his strongest supporters, John McCain called it potentially the worst boondoggle in earmark history. And now Governor Romney is suggesting, 'Oh, Rick Santorum earmarked,' as he requested almost half a billion dollars of earmarks as governor of Massachusetts to his federal congressmen and senators. Does the word hypocrisy come to mind?" Santorum said.

Romney often talks of how he turned around the struggling Olympics organization and is appearing in Utah on Saturday to mark the anniversary of the Olympics.

In a statement, the Romney campaign said Santorum was in a weak position to challenge its candidate on big spending.

"Sometimes when you shoot from the hip, you end up shooting yourself in the foot. There is a pretty wide gulf between seeking money for post-9/11 security at the Olympics and seeking earmarks for polar bear exhibits at the Pittsburgh Zoo. Mitt Romney wants to ban earmarks, Senator Santorum wants more 'Bridges to Nowhere,'" said Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul.

I've stocked up on my Orville Redenbacher Extra Butter Movie Popcorn. Don't delay too long or it'll all be gone!!!!!!!!!!

This is getting GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Darmosiel
02-19-2012, 10:24 AM
http://static.selfdeprecate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Santorum-Cartoon.gif

Darmosiel
02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
MijtN7gR4fg

tutonic
02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
"Obama's agenda... It's about ... not a theology based on the Bible."

He says that like that's a bad thing. :confused:

tristanrobin
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
"Obama's agenda... It's about ... not a theology based on the Bible."

He says that like that's a bad thing. :confused:

that's what I was thinking

perhaps we should make SURE that our Presidential candidates are given a copy of the Constitution of the United States? It's clear Santorum doesn't have a clue what's written there.

gOd
02-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Santorum is trying to weasel the social conservative vote away from Mr. Magic Underpants.

Darmosiel
02-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Santorum is trying to weasel the social conservative vote away from Mr. Magic Underpants.

:lmao2: They had a few clips of Santorum on the news. He looks like Cain did... puffed with all the attention and also somewhat out of his element.

2T
02-20-2012, 01:09 PM

thats not hard to do, the evangelical voter is scared witless of that cult. LOL

Fat Bastard
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Santorum's nutjob comments do more than disparage Obama's faith. They reveal a corporate-favoring agenda:

The reporting should now focus on Santorum’s thinly veiled religious intolerance, but his remarks about Obama’s non-biblical beliefs were referring to environmental regulation and to some concept about the relationship between man and the earth that he imagines other people have.

Santorum commented in Ohio Saturday that the president believes in “some phony ideal, some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible, a different theology.” [applause]

Asked to clarify his statements on CBS News’ “Face the Nation” Sunday, Santorum said that he was referring not to the president’s faith but to environmentalism.

“Well, I was talking about the radical environmentalists,” he told Schieffer. “That’s what I was talking about: Energy, this idea that man is here to serve the Earth, as opposed to husband its resources and be good stewards of the Earth. And I think that is a phony ideal. I don’t believe that that’s what we’re here to do – that man is here to use the resources and use them wisely, to care for the Earth, to be a steward of the Earth, but we’re not here to serve the Earth.

“The Earth is not the objective,” Santorum said. “Man is the objective. I think a lot of radical environmentalists have it upside-down.”

You see, Santorum’s dogma insists that man is at the center, and the earth is God’s gift to man, there to be exploited in our role as proper “stewards” of God’s bountiful gift. Mr Obama, Saint Rick claims, insists on putting the earth at the center while man is subservient. Never mind that there’s no evidence Mr. Obama has ever believed, said or suggested anything of the kind. The GOP has invented a grossly distorted caricature of Mr. Obama, because the real one does not suit, and the one that repeatedly frustrates environmentalists is inconceivable to them.

In Santorum’s remarks, we see the basis of the corporate conservative attack on the EPA, most environmental regulation and any acknowledgment that global climate change is happening, that man is responsible, or that it might be a threat to humans.

If God put the earth here for our needs, and we are righteous, it’s inconceivable in Santorum’s philosophy that man could have abused his stewardship to a degree that abuse has become a threat to humans. Obama and “environmentalists” have it backwards, he insists.

http://firedoglake.com/2012/02/20/rick-santorums-fantasy-about-stewards-of-the-earth/

2T
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
:lmao2: They had a few clips of Santorum on the news. He looks like Cain did... puffed with all the attention and also somewhat out of his element.

he's screwed courting the nutballs like this... I wonder if he'll have to have "the talk" with them if he gets the nomination... "...its not you, its me.. no no, I still feel that way I just won't be able to say it..."

Moby
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
It's always interesting how people talk in such vague terms about Obama's agenda but lack the ability to point out specifics.

Also, if any America politicians agenda follow any religious text, they should be removed immediately from office.

Darmosiel
02-20-2012, 01:46 PM
He certainly want s to get rid of the education system the way it currently is. He proudly boasts of home-schooling his own children. He stated that education should be either home schooled or small village like schools.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2017551955_politics20.html

At another point on Saturday, Santorum repeated his skepticism about the government's role in education. He harked back to a pre-industrial 19th century when many Americans, including presidents, home-schooled their children.

The public school, Santorum said, arose "when people came off the farms where they did home-school or have the little neighborhood school, and into these big factories, so we built equal factories called public schools."

Education reformers on both the left and right criticize the uniformity of instruction that dates from mass public education. But Santorum, who home-schooled some of his own children, makes many education advocates nervous because he seems to want to substantially scale back or cancel federal and state guidelines on standards and equality of access.

Another self-righteous religious know-it-all:

The usual rules for talking about faith on the campaign trail call for candidates to speak about their religion in uplifting, accessible generalities.

But Santorum "has this internal tic, of wanting to get into what I call theological disputation. And theological disputation is a loser," said Jacques Berlinerblau, a professor at Georgetown University who has studied the use of religion in U.S. politics. He meant that Santorum seeks to tell others how to behave and even what to believe, using his own specific beliefs as an unshakable guide.

Berlinerblau said the danger, even among other Catholics, was that Santorum would seem gratingly familiar. "They know Rick Santorums. They've met Rick Santorums their whole life," he said. "It's just, 'Well, I know what that guy's about and I don't want anything to do with it.'"

This guy is another Batshit Bachmann. He reminds of the religious door knockers that want to talk to you about the bible.

Darmosiel
02-20-2012, 01:57 PM
http://motherjones.com/politics/2012/01/how-rick-santorum-ripped-off-american-military-veterans

How Rick Santorum Ripped Off American Veterans

Like any good presidential candidate, Rick Santorum heaps praise on America's soldiers and veterans. He's pledged to "make veterans a high priority" if elected president, adding, "This is not a Republican issue, this is not a Democratic issue, it is an American issue." But as a US senator, Santorum engineered a controversial land deal that robbed the military's top veterans' home of tens of millions of dollars and worsened the deteriorating conditions at the facility.

dsolo802
02-20-2012, 03:09 PM
This guy is another Batshit Bachmann. He reminds of the religious door knockers that want to talk to you about the bible.:lmao2: :lmao2:

Santorum stands for your 'freedom' to believe - as he does. Oh wait, is that freedom?

Run - do not walk - away from this poster child for tyrannical goat sex.

tristanrobin
02-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I can't fathom how this guy has gotten this far in American politics. He's a total wackjob lunatic. I have no problem with religious people - I'm a church-goin' hymn-singin' donation-makin' Christian myself. But, there is a difference between believing in Jesus and making a total horse's ass of yourself.

People are actually VOTING for this guy. Each and every one of them are FAR WORSE than Santorum himself. He can't help it if he's a nutjob who keeps a photo of his wife's abortion on his desk. He's a lunatic. But, as he's the front runner in the GOP right now, surely the ENTIRE GOP aren't lunatics. How can they be in favor of the shite he's spewing?

I'm appalled - amazed - and appalled.

Hawkeye2j
02-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Organized religion sucks!

Fat Bastard
02-20-2012, 08:43 PM

But if zealots like Santorum will do the bidding of big biz and get rid of the EPA, then organized religion doesn't suck at all! :thumbsup:

Darmosiel
02-20-2012, 08:56 PM
But if zealots like Santorum will do the bidding of big biz and get rid of the EPA, then organized religion doesn't suck at all! :thumbsup:

What do you have against the EPA? Don't like clean water? :lmao2: I'm starting to see you for the troll you are. You seem to follow every thread where drama is going down and stick your face in it.

Got anything except one liners? Anything at all?

Bruce LeeRoy
02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
What do you have against the EPA? Don't like clean water? :lmao2: I'm starting to see you for the troll you are. You seem to follow every thread where drama is going down and stick your face in it.

The EPA is much more then just clean water, they are also behind the "Agenda 21" and the UN.

They are using the EPA to take private property and it has NOTHING to do with the Environment.

Seriously, they are more then a sound bite.

You just talked about the purchasing of the country?

The EPA is behind the taking of the land.

Of course I like clean drinking water, but you tell me how is that working out exactly?

Fluoride, Mercury, who knows what this week.

This is not an attack on you, and I think FB is hugsmen sock. I hope there isnt two people in this world as dumb as him, and on the same forum? :confused: we are screwed.

:lmao2:

tristanrobin
02-20-2012, 09:06 PM

It doesn't have to.

Fat Bastard
02-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Relax. I was being facetious. Scroll up a bit. I posted the link regarding Santorum's ass backwards worldview and how it dovetails with elimination of the EPA. Santorum bad. Understand?

http://www.dcjunkies.com/showpost.php?p=573055&postcount=11

Darmosiel
02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
The EPA is much more then just clean water, they are also behind the "Agenda 21" and the UN.

They are using the EPA to take private property and it has NOTHING to do with the Environment.

Of course I like clean drinking water, but you tell me how is that working out exactly?

This is not an attack on you, and I think FB is hugsmen sock. I hope there isnt two people in this world as dumb as him, and on the same forum? :confused: we are screwed.

There is much about what is going on with various Agencies and Departments that isn't right. That doesn't mean we need to get rid of it. We need regulations to make certain standards of living are adhered to.

When a body is diseased you cut out or treat the disease, you don't kill the individual just because they are sick.

Richard Nixon started the EPA because companies were pouring toxic chemicals, blood from cattle, you name it, it was going into our streams and creeks. The same with air.

When a company dumps toxic waste into a stream and the rancher down from the stream discovers half his cattle dead... you are saying that's ok? The rancher needs protection as we all do. I want to be able to turn on my tap water and know I won't get diphtheria from drinking it.

Mac McFadden
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Am I the only person here who remembers "The Love Canal"?
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Erin Brockovich".
(It was based on a true story.)
Have any of you talked to any Hanford "down winders" recently?

That is why the EPA exists.
And why it is necessary.

Mac

dsolo802
02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
"I'm living for doughnuts and venison - that's true - and uhh...specialty gopher meat" ~ Rick Santorum

"I just want to practice soft algebra...umm uh umm uhhh, I know a few Asian guys, fairy crutches are bullshit!" ~ Rick SantorumI had no idea he could be this wise.

Wait a darn minute - do you have link for this??

dsolo802
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Organized religion sucks!You say that as though sucking is always a bad thing?

Darmosiel
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Am I the only person here who remembers "The Love Canal"?
Has anyone ever seen the movie "Erin Brockovich".
(It was based on a true story.)
Have any of you talked to any Hanford "down winders" recently?

That is why the EPA exists.
And why it is necessary.

Mac

They were most likely too young to remember. It only takes a few generations to forget. The corporate owned politicians are counting on that.
In a another generation they will have forgotten at one time kids from middle class families could get grants to go to college. They will have forgotten people could rely on safe drinking water and safe air to breath.

I'm glad I will be dead by the time all these changes show the population the fruit of what they have asked for in their ignorance.

Brian_W
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Apparently some of Santorum's emails have oozed out in the open. :D

http://www.thesefriesaregood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/finishedsantorum.jpg

Brian_W
02-22-2012, 06:07 PM

I bet the EPA is behind chemtrails too. :thumbsup:

Bill Cosby
02-23-2012, 02:43 AM
http://static.selfdeprecate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Santorum-Cartoon.gif

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Bruce LeeRoy
02-23-2012, 02:46 AM
I bet the EPA is behind chemtrails too. :thumbsup:

WOW, lets see EPA = Environment protection agency?

You think?

:disbelief:

I knew you were stupid but this is a bit much......Capt Obvious.

Bill Cosby
02-23-2012, 02:52 AM
There is much about what is going on with various Agencies and Departments that isn't right. That doesn't mean we need to get rid of it. We need regulations to make certain standards of living are adhered to.

When a body is diseased you cut out or treat the disease, you don't kill the individual just because they are sick.

Richard Nixon started the EPA because companies were pouring toxic chemicals, blood from cattle, you name it, it was going into our streams and creeks. The same with air.

When a company dumps toxic waste into a stream and the rancher down from the stream discovers half his cattle dead... you are saying that's ok? The rancher needs protection as we all do. I want to be able to turn on my tap water and know I won't get diphtheria from drinking it.

NiXon was a latent liberal.......:banghead: He cleaned up the air & water, or so it seems.......... If he had just stayed out of it, those industries would have done it all on their own & we would have clean drinking war & air, like we use to back in the 60's............http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/los-angeles-smog-www-lg.jpg

Brian_W
02-23-2012, 08:05 AM
WOW, lets see EPA = Environment protection agency?

You think?

:disbelief:

I knew you were stupid but this is a bit much......Capt Obvious.

Well see I just never made the connection. Chemtrails are part of the environment so the EPA must be behind them. Wow. Thanks for breaking me free of the matrix Nero.

The purpose of the chemtrails are to keep us stupid and asleep, so I have to ask. How have you made yourself immune to the effects that have kept the rest of us in a state of perpetual stupid?

Vilifier of Zombies
02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I had no idea he could be this wise.

Wait a darn minute - do you have link for this??

js3BYcHmBhE

2T
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM

ooooH agenda 21..:p :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

2T
02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
You say that as though sucking is always a bad thing?

Vilifier of Zombies
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Well see I just never made the connection. Chemtrails are part of the environment so the EPA must be behind them. Wow. Thanks for breaking me free of the matrix Nero.

The purpose of the chemtrails are to keep us stupid and asleep, so I have to ask. How have you made yourself immune to the effects that have kept the rest of us in a state of perpetual stupid?

nondual has got a chemtrail quack thread up and running, Bozo is all over that shit like a hungry Korean is to gae gogi...

But since you've asked a reasonable question of Bozo and he has yet to answer, I'll happily offer up an explanation, it's either "the red pill not the blue, the Matrix is real man!, we're all fuck'n batteries for the machines" or guinea worms shacking up in the cerebral cortex...take your pick Brian_W....

Cookie Parker
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM

It sure as hell better NOT be based on the Bible...it best be based on secular individual rights and freedoms for ALL.

Santorum is NUTS to push this bible of the US government insanity...he's already gone way too far...and it will backfire for the tea party who think they will have a home in the reupblian party after this.

dsolo802
02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
It sure as hell better NOT be based on the Bible...it best be based on secular individual rights and freedoms for ALL.

Santorum is NUTS to push this bible of the US government insanity...he's already gone way too far...and it will backfire for the tea party who think they will have a home in the reupblian party after this.Even Huckabee, a man the social conservatives love, calls the stink of Newt and Sanctimonious Rectum "toxic".

Cookie Parker
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Even Huckabee, a man the social conservatives love, calls the stink of Newt and Sanctimonious Rectum "toxic".

Wow...and here I thought Huckabee was sanitarium bound...cool.

dsolo802
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
js3BYcHmBhEOMG - that is the most sense I have ever heard any of the GOP candidates make!

This is a Santorum we all could enjoy.

He is kind of like an earnest Brick Tamland from Anchorman

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID15166/images/pantspartybrickwide.jpg

Brick Tamland: I ate fiberglass insulation. It wasn't cotton candy like the guy said... my tummy itches.

Brick Tamland: [opposing women in the newsroom] I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

Brick Tamland: I love... carpet.
[pause]

Brick Tamland: I love... desk.

Ron Burgundy: Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp.

Ron Burgundy: Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp. I love lamp.

Vilifier of Zombies
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
OMG - that is the most sense I have ever heard any of the GOP candidates make!

This is a Santorum we all could enjoy.

He is kind of like an earnest Brick Tamland from Anchorman

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID15166/images/pantspartybrickwide.jpg

Brick Tamland: I ate fiberglass insulation. It wasn't cotton candy like the guy said... my tummy itches.

Brick Tamland: [opposing women in the newsroom] I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.

Brick Tamland: I love... carpet.
[pause]

Brick Tamland: I love... desk.

Ron Burgundy: Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp.

Ron Burgundy: Do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

Brick Tamland: I love lamp. I love lamp.

He did kill someone with a trident, it's not all for naught...