PDA

View Full Version : Is my phone spying on me??

Bill Cosby
12-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I got a new phone & I am playing w/ it but I was wondering about the tracking ability???

I have heard that you can be tracked.......

????????????

T17XQI_AYNo&feature=player_embedded#

Bill Cosby
12-02-2011, 01:59 AM
sx0znJYQkZ4

Bruce LeeRoy
12-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Yes, that is true, which phone?

This was talked about under Bush, they can literally turn your phone on even and listen to your conversations, because, of course your a terrorist.

I can't find it but they are saying it's not defined and are trying to get a decision if this is invasion of privacy or not.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/privacy-expert-previews-scotus-gps-tracking-case-with-the-blaze/

I should also mention, it doesnt matter, this was today's RT article. So it really doesnt matter. Yer fukked.

Assange: Using iPhone, gmail, Blackberry? You're screwed!

http://rt.com/news/assange-london-panel-wikileaks-805/

Bruce LeeRoy
12-02-2011, 03:30 AM
I got a new phone & I am playing w/ it but I was wondering about the tracking ability???

I have heard that you can be tracked.......

????????????

T17XQI_AYNo&feature=player_embedded#

Interesting, actually I looked a bit into this and this is new.

I have an older Droid X, and got to looking and found two apps that track my "activity" with no permission asked, or given.

KSI logger
Data collector service.

I was able to "force close" and after searching, no one else seems to know what these apps are either. Some of these questions about the apps I am talking about go back over 6 months.:mad:

One might be something to do with Moto Blur.

Pay attention to the guy defending this Carrier IQ, Dan ROSENBERG.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/45516663#45516663

hd79
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Related to the carrier IQ suit, lookup Trevor eckhardt. This guy developed a app to find the hidden cell phone tracking apps on smartphones.

Bruce LeeRoy
12-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Related to the carrier IQ suit, lookup Trevor eckhardt. This guy developed a app to find the hidden cell phone tracking apps on smartphones.

I am on his site now actually.

I was reading the Verizon never did any business with Carrier IQ, its just another company though, so..... =\

Bill Cosby
12-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Do they all do it or just some??

Bruce LeeRoy
12-02-2011, 10:19 PM
From what I am gathering, they are key loggers and they keep track of what you do, and drops calls, what sort of searches you do on Google, etc.. They are saying it MIGHT be able to read text's and email's that is where it becomes an illegal activity.

It looks like a hard core marketing tool, but the argument is you should be able to opt out, and you should also be notified that its even happening like every other app you have.

hd79
12-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Do they all do it or just some??
It mainly depends on who the carrier is. AT&T, Sprint, T-MOBILE and maybe a few others may use it. Verizon and Apple both state they do not use the Carrier IQ software, or Apple stated they stopped using it at any rate.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/01/technology/carrier_iq/index.htm

A new app for the Android devices has been released, but its still in beta, but the developers are releasing updates constantly:
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetect or

Vilifier of Zombies
12-02-2011, 10:44 PM
It mainly depends on who the carrier is. AT&T, Sprint, T-MOBILE and maybe a few others may use it. Verizon and Apple both state they do not use the Carrier IQ software, or Apple stated they stopped using it at any rate.

A new app for the Android devices has been released, but its still in beta, but the developers are releasing updates constantly:
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.simplecarrieriqdetect or

Therein lies the rub, Android is an open source, some fuck'n geeky hacker from Bratislava can be writing app programs in a tacky one bedroom apartment in a basement that'll report back every god damned thing you've done with your phone, including when, how, and where...

Which is the main selling point for apple products, albeit you're at the mercy of Apple's decision making process, although, you're bound to know that whatever app is downloaded and installed, will more than likely work, with Android, that's just not the case.

I'm not gonna knock Android so much, I like that there's at least now there's a viable competition between IOS and Android, it does well to make sure for a better product from either.

Bill Cosby
12-02-2011, 11:49 PM

THNX..........:thumbsup:

Bill Cosby
12-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Smartphone snooping sparks lawsuits and denials (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/03/smartphone-snooping-sparks-lawsuits-and-denials/)

A California startup behind smartphone software accused of snooping on users stepped up the defense of its creation on Friday in the face of freshly filed lawsuits.

By Friday, lawsuits had been filed in three US states against software maker Carrier IQ and smartphone manufacturers HTC and Samsung accusing the companies of breaking privacy and wiretapping laws and demanding they be made to pay.

A suit filed in a federal court in the Silicon Valley city of San Jose accused Carrier IQ of hiding “spyware” on smartphones.

Lawsuits filed against Carrier IQ in the states of Illinois and Missouri included Samsung and HTC as defendants and each sought class action status to represent everyone affected.

Damages being sought were estimated to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Carrier IQ, meanwhile, received backing from a security consulting firm as it held firm that its application was a diagnostic tool for managing networks and not smartphone spy software.

“Having examined the Carrier IQ implementation it is my opinion that allegations of keystroke collection or other surveillance of mobile device user’s content are erroneous,” said Rebecca Bace of Infidel.

Carrier IQ asserted anew that smartphone information it captures is encrypted before being sent to mobile network operators, with whom users already have a “trusted relationship.”

“We measure and summarize performance of the device to assist operators in delivering better service,” Carrier IQ said in a statement.

“While a few individuals have identified that there is a great deal of information available to the Carrier IQ software inside the handset, our software does not record, store or transmit the contents of SMS messages, email, photographs, audio or video,” it said.

Examples given by Carrier IQ included being able to understand whether a text message was sent accurately but not recording what was written.

“Carrier IQ is aware of various commentators alleging Carrier IQ has violated wiretap laws and we vigorously disagree with these assertions,” the company said.

The software is deployed by major network operators to monitor performance and optimize efficiency, according to Carrier IQ.

“Our software allows operators to figure out why problems are occurring, why calls are dropped, and how to extend the life of the battery,” Carrier IQ said.

In another development, Carrier IQ spokeswoman Mira Woods told AFP the company will respond to a request from US Senator Al Franken for specifics regarding what its smartphone software was doing.

If Carrier IQ spies on users in ways first detailed by smartphone security researcher Trevor Eckhart it could be breaking federal law, Franken said in his letter.

In a YouTube video, Eckhart showed Carrier IQ software buried deep in an Android-powered smartphone recording buttons pressed, Internet search queries, text messages and locations.

The software was tricky to find on the device and couldn’t be turned off, according to his demonstration.

Another US lawmaker, Congressman Edward Markey, sent a letter to the US Federal Trade Commission chairman meanwhile saying an investigation into Carrier IQ software was warranted.

Bill Cosby
12-03-2011, 11:06 PM
According to this my phone does not have Carrier IQ....:thumbsup:

Which Carriers, Handset Makers Use Carrier IQ?
By Chloe Albanesius
December 1, 2011 05:15pm EST23 Comments
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397128,00.asp)

Technology from Carrier IQ has made headlines in recent weeks over concerns that its software can surreptitiously gather data about cell phone users. The company raised eyebrows when it sent a cease-and-desist letter to a researcher who wrote about Carrier IQ's practices, but Carrier IQ later backed down and apologized. That didn't satisfy Sen. Al Franken, however, who penned a letter to Carrier IQ's CEO today, asking for details about how its technology works and how much data it has on mobile users.
But who is actually using the technology? And why? According to Carrier IQ's Web site, the company's technology is deployed on 141 million handsets and growing.
Sprint and AT&T today said they both use Carrier IQ, but said it was for network performance purposes and denied any user tracking was involved. Verizon denied using Carrier IQ and T-Mobile has yet to respond.
On the hardware side, most providers said it was at the discretion of the carrier as to whether Carrier IQ would be included on their handsets. HTC said it was "investigating the option to allow consumers to opt-out of data collection by the Carrier IQ application."
Apple, meanwhile, said it stopped supporting Carrier IQ on most of its devices with iOS 5 and will remove it from all products in a future software update—most likely an incremental one rather than a full update like iOS 6, a spokeswoman said.
As for Carrier IQ, the company said in a recent statement that it does not: record keystrokes; provide tracking tools; inspect the content of messages like emails and text messages; provide real-time data to customers; or sell data to third parties.
"Our software is designed to help mobile network providers diagnose critical issues that lead to problems such as dropped calls and battery drain," Carrier IQ said.
For a full rundown of how major carriers and handset makers use (or don't use) Carrier IQ, see their official statements below.
CARRIERS
Sprint: We do use Carrier IQ, but we do not and cannot look at the contents of messages, etc., as some have speculated. Carrier IQ provides information that allows Sprint, and other carriers that use it, to analyze our network performance and identify where we should be improving service. We also use the data to understand device performance so we can figure out when issues are occurring. We collect enough information to understand the customer experience with devices on our network and how to address any connection problems, but we do not and cannot look at the contents of messages, photos, videos, etc., using this tool. The information collected is not sold and we don't provide a direct feed of this data to anyone outside of Sprint.
Sprint maintains a serious commitment to respecting and protecting the privacy and security of each customer's personally identifiable information and other customer data. A key element of this involves communicating with our customers about our information privacy practices. The Sprint privacy policy makes it clear we collect information that includes how a device is functioning and how it is being used. Carrier IQ is an integral part of the Sprint service. Sprint uses Carrier IQ to help maintain our network performance.
Verizon: "To be 100% clear: Carrier IQ is *not* on #Verizon Wireless #VZW phones," Verizon's Jeff Nelson tweeted.
AT&T: In line with our privacy policy, we solely use CIQ software data to improve wireless network and service performance.
T-Mobile: T-Mobile utilizes the Carrier IQ diagnostic tool to troubleshoot device and network performance with the goal of enhancing network reliability and our customers' experience. T-Mobile does not use this diagnostic tool to obtain the content of text, email or voice messages, or the specific destinations of a customers' Internet activity, nor is the tool used for marketing purposes.
C Spire (previously Cellular South): Carrier IQ is not on any C Spire Wireless device.
MetroPCS: None of the handsets sold by MetroPCS include the Carrier IQ software.
US Cellular: U.S. Cellular does not use Carrier IQ and does not sell any devices with Carrier IQ loaded on them. We are 100 percent committed to keeping your information secure and private.
Rogers Communications/Fido Solutions (Canada): "We have investigated and Carrier IQ is NOT on any of our devices," a spokeswoman tweeted.
HANDSET MAKERS
Apple: We stopped supporting Carrier IQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update. With any diagnostic data sent to Apple, customers must actively opt-in to share this information, and if they do, the data is sent in an anonymous and encrypted form and does not include any personal information. We never recorded keystrokes, messages or any other personal information for diagnostic data and have no plans to ever do so.
HTC: Carrier IQ is required on devices by a number of U.S carriers so if consumers or media have any questions about the practices relating to, or data collected by, Carrier IQ we'd advise them to contact their carrier. It is important to note that HTC is not a customer or partner of Carrier IQ and does not receive data from the application, the company, or carriers that partner with Carrier IQ. HTC is investigating the option to allow consumers to opt-out of data collection by the Carrier IQ application.
Samsung: Some Samsung mobile phones do include Carrier IQ, but it's very important to note that it's up to the carrier to request that Samsung include that software on devices. One other important point is that Samsung does not receive any consumer user information from the phones that are equipped with Carrier IQ.
Nokia: We are aware of inaccurate reports which state that software from CarrierIQ has been found on Nokia devices. CarrierIQ does not ship products for any Nokia devices, so these reports are wrong.
RIM: RIM is aware of a recent claim by a security researcher that an application called "CarrierIQ" is installed on mobile devices from multiple vendors without the knowledge or consent of the device users. RIM does not pre-install the CarrierIQ app on BlackBerry smartphones or authorize its carrier partners to install the CarrierIQ app before sales or distribution. RIM also did not develop or commission the development of the CarrierIQ application, and has no involvement in the testing, promotion, or distribution of the app. RIM will continue to investigate reports and speculation related to CarrierIQ.
Motorola: I recommend you follow up with the carrier PR teams as this is only pre-loaded as an operator requirement.
Editor's Note: This story was updated at 11pm Eastern with comment from T-Mobile.
For more from Chloe, follow her on Twitter @ChloeAlbanesius.