PDA

View Full Version : What download speed does your provider offer?

Mr, gone
11-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Here in SK I am able to regularly obtain 40Mbps of sustained download speed... Can anyone in the states match this? :D

Bill Cosby
11-27-2011, 12:56 AM
I presently have only DSL & a wireless network that is not very good.....

It was crappy, & I can not even recall what the claimed speed was suppose to be,

Mr, gone
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I presently have only DSL & a wireless network that is not very good.....

It was crappy, & I can not even recall what the claimed speed was suppose to be,

Actually DSL is fine for streaming YouTube and other low resolution content. This high bandwidth mainly comes in handy when streaming/downloading multiple HD content simultaneously. The main reason for this thread was to see if the states were keeping step with other countries internet technology. The new building I live in uses a fiber input modem which then distributes via Cat5 directly to my router.

Bill Cosby
11-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Nice, I have a friend that lives across town & he has fiber optic something on his block=a t2 or 3 connection........ The company that was orgianally trying to do his neighborhood went bankrupt so the local phone service has it & get it for the cost of a land line phone..........lol

He has a fairly small house but built an addition where he houses about 5 servers, helps pay the mortgage............

I use to down load a lot, but rarely now, no need, to do that & store stuff, almost anything is @ our finger tips...........

Mr, gone
11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I use to down load a lot, but rarely now, no need, to do that & store stuff, almost anything is @ our finger tips...........

I used to think like this until I noticed that a lot of controversial content gets taken down shortly after being posted. This is the stuff I download just in case. :D

Bill Cosby
11-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I was just downloading music, movies etc.......... Nothing of importance..

Citizen
11-28-2011, 02:21 AM
http://speedtest.net/

EldonG
11-28-2011, 05:07 AM
I support Verizon Fios for a living. We provide up to 150 mbps down...

Mr, gone
11-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Speedtest is OK as a rough estimate though it can vary greatly depending on what server it decides to use. The most accurate way to gauge sustainable network speed as far as I am aware, is to flood your connection with multiple downloads until no higher percentage can be obtained while monitoring your network connections screen.

Bill Cosby
12-15-2011, 04:13 AM
http://speedtest.net/

ThnX......... I just got cable again today for internet..... @ first it seemed way faster............ Now about the same........

I used that test & it came off about 12/3 almost up.......

On the other one I did it was about 5 & 1 1/2:o

I am not sure if it is the site, my laptop or router but occasionally it seems as slow as DSL.............. ???

You have cable???

Bad Sneakers
12-15-2011, 10:17 AM
I've been pulling 35-65 on the DSL cans I hook up every day, the higher order network is certainly capable of it. Where we get screwed is in the last mile, and most of THAT crap is older than I am...

Bill Cosby
12-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Yea I think we have that issue as well, eventhough it is new wire...........

When DSL was first introduced they said only certain areas could get it do to the proximity to the box...........

Then suddenly everyone could get it.............. Slow as shit........

Our land service is Frontier which bought the local citizens........ Both suck & are/were poorly ran & rip offs......

They would continually add small charges until you caught them, going paperless was a windfall for them.........

Bruce LeeRoy
12-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Yea I think we have that issue as well, eventhough it is new wire...........

When DSL was first introduced they said only certain areas could get it do to the proximity to the box...........

Then suddenly everyone could get it.............. Slow as shit........

Our land service is Frontier which bought the local citizens........ Both suck & are/were poorly ran & rip offs......

They would continually add small charges until you caught them, going paperless was a windfall for them.........

I was a Network Engineer for Pacific Bell in San Francisco when they launched DSL, I was also one of the first engineers to create the tech support trouble shooting guide, I later went to Northpoint communications where the inventor of ADSL started up his own company, later went bankrupt from lack of a billing system to collect from customers, 2 billion dollars worth of assets also.

I am pretty savvy on DSL. That is all I did was configure Redback routers all day for DSL service to the whole state of California.

Today there are so many variations of DSL, and now they are transporting DSL over the ATM layer with no phone line.

twisted pair definitely has its limitations though. Cable has a bigger pipe so you get a better throughput.

I am using my cell phone right now, and I get 3mg down, its actually pretty good for a cell phone....lol

Bill Cosby
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
I was a Network Engineer for Pacific Bell in San Francisco when they launched DSL, I was also one of the first engineers to create the tech support trouble shooting guide, I later went to Northpoint communications where the inventor of ADSL started up his own company, later went bankrupt from lack of a billing system to collect from customers, 2 billion dollars worth of assets also.

I am pretty savvy on DSL. That is all I did was configure Redback routers all day for DSL service to the whole state of California.

Today there are so many variations of DSL, and now they are transporting DSL over the ATM layer with no phone line.

twisted pair definitely has its limitations though. Cable has a bigger pipe so you get a better throughput.

I am using my cell phone right now, and I get 3mg down, its actually pretty good for a cell phone....lol

You must be pretty good w/ it, I couldn't tell...........
My texting skills need lots of work........

I have only signed on a few times here w/ my phone, seems a hassle-but most likely operator error.........lol