PDA

View Full Version : Iran dominates Repub. debate

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45271673/ns/politics/
Iran dominates GOP contenders' debate
Gingrich touts covert action against Tehran, including 'taking out their scientists'
The Republican presidential contenders met in a debate on foreign policy Saturday with the question of Iran atop the agenda.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said as president he’d order covert operations to stop the Iranian regime from building nuclear weapons, with options including “taking out their scientists” and “breaking the regime and bringing it down.”

And he added, “all of it (is) deniable,” that is, he as president would deny that the United States was behind the operations.:p

The U.N. nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, issued a report Tuesday in which it said Iran appeared to have worked on designing a nuclear bomb.

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney said President Barack Obama’s policy toward Iran was his “greatest failing, from a foreign policy standpoint.”

Romney said he work to impose “crippling sanctions” on Iran and would work for regime change. And he said he would be willing to take military action to prevent Iran from building nuclear weapons.

“If we re-elect Barack Obama, Iran will have a nuclear weapon. And if you elect Mitt Romney, Iran will not have a nuclear weapon," the former Massachusetts governor declared. :lmao2:

.Former Godfather's Pizza CEO Herman Cain said he would provide support to the opposition in Iran to help overthrow the current regime.

Ron Paul warns against 'war propaganda'
All the talk of confrontation with Iran prompted Rep. Ron Paul of Texas to warn against “war propaganda that went on against Iraq” and led to the 2003 American invasion of Iraq.

Paul said if a president wanted to go to war, he would need to abide by the Constitution and do it “the old-fashioned way” by asking Congress to declare war.

Paul also clashed on the issue of torture with Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota.

Bachmann said she supported the use of waterboarding suspected terrorists to extract information.

But Paul said waterboarding was torture and that torture is “un-American,” “uncivilized,” as well as illegal, immoral and impractical — since, Paul argued, torture doesn’t yield useful information from terrorist suspects.

Huntsman wants pull-out from Afghanistan
On the question of Afghanistan, Jon Huntsman, who served as Obama's ambassador to China, stood out from the crowd by saying all U.S. troops should be withdrawn.

"I say it's time to come home. I say this nation has achieved its key objectives," he said, including free elections and the dismantling of al Qaida.

“This nation’s future is not Afghanistan, this nation’s future is not Iran,” Huntsman said. “This nation’s future is how prepared we are to meet the 21st century competitive challenges: That’s economic and that’s education … I don’t want to be nation building in Afghanistan when this nation so desperately needs to be built.”

Romney said he supports a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014.

Gingrich warned that the intertwined problems of Pakistan and Afghanistan are “so much bigger and deeper a problem than we’ve talked about as a country

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:20 AM
President Barack Obama said Saturday that he and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev intend to "shape a common response" to new allegations Iran has been covertly trying to build a nuclear bomb.

The president spoke to reporters as he and Medvedev met on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. He also met separately with the leaders of China and Japan.

Hosting the APEC summit in his native Hawaii, Obama said earlier the "broad outlines" of a deal had been reached on the Transpacific Partnership, a regional free trade pact being negotiated by the United States and eight other countries.

It was hailed by U.S. officials as Obama's signature achievement of the summit and a possible template for an eventual APEC-wide free trade zone. APEC's 21 members make up the world's most dynamic region and account for more than half of global economic output.

Obama sought Saturday to position the United States as a Pacific power determined to get more American jobs by tapping the explosive potential of the Asia-Pacific.

For businesses, he said, "this is where the action's going to be."

"There is no region in the world that we consider more vital than the Asia-Pacific region," he told chief executives gathered for a regional economic summit.

The president went so far as to say the United States had grown "a little bit lazy" in trying to attract business to the United States.

Russia trade
Speaking to reporters at the end of his meeting with Medvedev, Obama said the two "reaffirmed our intention to work and shape a common response so we can move Iran to follow its international obligations when it comes to its nuclear program.''

The two also discussed Afghanistan and Syria, Obama said.

Their meeting was their first chance to discuss Friday's report from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which raised new questions about Iran's nuclear program.

..The watchdog agency provided evidence Tehran has conducted research, testing and procurement which could help it develop nuclear weapons. Tehran has rejected the material as a fabrication by the United States and its allies, maintaining its nuclear program is purely for energy and research.

Obama also said Russia's expected entrance into the World Trade Organization is a testament to Medvedev's hard work and will be good for the United States, Russia and the world.

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Obama sounds sane, but getting a "common response - ain't happening as Russia just rejected sanctons.

He's also gonna extend ( increase) the Pacific Fleet.

He sounds more sane -but I don't trust ANY of them, not to go to war over Iranian nukes.

tutonic
11-13-2011, 11:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/13/politics/things-we-learned-gop-debate/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
they're all fucking nuts. Obama is crafty, at least doesn't come out and say we're going to war. At least he's TRYING to bring China and Russia into sanctions.
Props for that. Not that I believe anyting this guy says, but at least he's not overtly warlike ( in this sole instance)

The Repub's are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao2:

tutonic
11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Obama sounds sane, but getting a "common response - ain't happening as Russia just rejected sanctons.

He's also gonna extend ( increase) the Pacific Fleet.

He sounds more sane -but I don't trust ANY of them, not to go to war over Iranian nukes.

Nuclear weapons are illegal under Islamic law.

hd79
11-13-2011, 11:35 AM
So, if any GOP member other than Paul gets in, we are going to war with Iran?

Was Beck the personal advisor to everyone except Paul?

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Nuclear weapons are illegal under Islamic law.
nice. means nothing. Iran is surely persuing them, rocket program, IAEA report.

But the whole world wants them now -wanna be in the "big boys club".

Proliferation is everywhere, Iran is not going to say "well it's illegal under Sharia"

we just got to learn to live with them, another war ( military action) is even more insane -

anatta
11-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Obama is selling bunker busters to the UAE -why is that?
what possible use other then Iran?

It's gettig dangerous, but to actually attack Iran would cause the whole region to go on war footing.

It would make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

hd79
11-13-2011, 11:47 AM

It's gettig dangerous, but to actually attack Iran would cause the whole region to go on war footing.

It would make Iraq look like a walk in the park. Yes, those are hardly defensive weapons, though I suppose it could be argued the intent is for Iran's neighbors to have it available if Iran is the instigator in anything.

Nevertheless, I agree. We have been involved in the ME long enough, and its time we remove ourselves from the area.

I still believe, personally, as some other's have stated, that there is a lot of blustering and posturing going on, and I don't believe anything will come of the rustling of the feathers, at least not soon.

Bill Cosby
11-13-2011, 01:18 PM

:lmao2: :lmao2: :o & Huntsman.............

Reminds me a bit of the bush reelection campaign....... It worked for him...

Question is, how many dems are going along & will go along all the way & up to another unprovoked war on the boogieman??

anatta
11-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes, those are hardly defensive weapons, though I suppose it could be argued the intent is for Iran's neighbors to have it available if Iran is the instigator in anything.

Nevertheless, I agree. We have been involved in the ME long enough, and its time we remove ourselves from the area.

I still believe, personally, as some other's have stated, that there is a lot of blustering and posturing going on, and I don't believe anything will come of the rustling of the feathers, at least not soon.
Problem is you're thinking rationally - how this cold lead to regional war, or worse.

Given the fact we really seem to prefer war over a sane foreign policy of STAYING OUT of wars, i'm not so phlegmatic.

hd79
11-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Question is, how many dems are going along & will go along all the way & up to another unprovoked war on the boogieman?? Fair enough question. Obama stated even prior to the election that Afghanistan should be the focus.
Be that as it may, afaic, we got the "boogie man", and we should be leaving the area.
Infsofar as War is concerned, I am most generally against it, but I will state it does depend on the circumstances involved. It's easy enough to state one is always against War, but at what point do we defend our Nation?

Bruce LeeRoy
11-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Shit, the way things are going, they might be ignoring Paul, but he is going to be the last man standing they keep this up.

The GOP has zero sense, even the base doesnt want war with Iran, they media just gets to dictate the conversation and the GOP just sits their and takes it.

RP2012 LOL!

BlackAsCoal
11-13-2011, 02:16 PM
they're all fucking nuts. Obama is crafty, at least doesn't come out and say we're going to war. At least he's TRYING to bring China and Russia into sanctions.
Props for that. Not that I believe anyting this guy says, but at least he's not overtly warlike ( in this sole instance)

The Repub's are INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao2:

Almost makes you believe they're all in the ruse together.

Republicans pushing Obama to attack Iran on flimsy "evidence."

BlackAsCoal
11-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Question is, how many dems are going along & will go along all the way & up to another unprovoked war on the boogieman??

How many democrats who are questioning republicans warmongering today. will question Obama is HE actually starts the war?

I'm betting that few to none will .. at least not until the ignorance of it hits home.

BlackAsCoal
11-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Turkey FM: We oppose any military strike on Iran

Turkish FM Davutoglu says that nuclear weapons should be eliminated from all countries of the Middle East.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Saturday that his country opposes any military strike on Iran, AFP reported, citing the Anatolia news agency.

“We do not think it is right even to talk of possible military intervention in the region…We are against such intervention and believe it would create more instability,” Davutoglu was quoted as saying in the AFP report.

In reference to Israel, Davutoglu said that it "is unacceptable that countries suspected of having nuclear weapons cause new tensions in our region.”

Davutoglu called for nuclear weapons to be eliminated in all countries of the Middle East.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/turkey-fm-we-oppose-any-military-strike-on-iran-1.395174

Let's see a show of hands of those who think Israel will EVER give up its nuclear arsenal that everybody knows they have?

anatta
11-13-2011, 02:51 PM

ya. well. those bunker buster bombs to the UAE, kinna make me wonder if this thing isn't already "cooked" and ready to serve up.

what other POSSIBLE reason would the UAE need (or just desire) bunker busters??

Obama is on his show tour of "concern" trying to bring in Russia -this the same week when Russia said "no" to any more sanctions.

So fly around, act all "let's unite and stop Iran by extreme sanctions"

Not going to happen - neither the sanctions or stopping Iran from deploying nukes.

So connect the dots......UAE getting bunker busters / Israeli warnings of dire consequences / the Obama show tour / The REpubs -lord only knows what their pointy heads are dreaming up.

Looks to me this is a already a done deal, now we just have to plaster up a reasonable facade - Obama's trip.

BlackAsCoal
11-13-2011, 03:38 PM
ya. well. those bunker buster bombs to the UAE, kinna make me wonder if this thing isn't already "cooked" and ready to serve up.

what other POSSIBLE reason would the UAE need (or just desire) bunker busters??

Obama is on his show tour of "concern" trying to bring in Russia -this the same week when Russia said "no" to any more sanctions.

So fly around, act all "let's unite and stop Iran by extreme sanctions"

Not going to happen - neither the sanctions or stopping Iran from deploying nukes.

So connect the dots......UAE getting bunker busters / Israeli warnings of dire consequences / the Obama show tour / The REpubs -lord only knows what their pointy heads are dreaming up.

Looks to me this is a already a done deal, now we just have to plaster up a reasonable facade - Obama's trip.

They aren't trying to hide why the bunker busters are being sent to the UAE. It's not a secret that they are intended to be used against Iran.

anatta
11-13-2011, 03:40 PM
They aren't trying to hide why the bunker busters are being sent to the UAE. It's not a secret that they are intended to be used against Iran.
I thought a reasonable facade would at least be attempted. Silly me.

BlackAsCoal
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I thought a reasonable facade would at least be attempted. Silly me.

They no longer require a facade.

There is nothing Americans can do to stop them from doing whatever they want.

rastaman
11-13-2011, 08:44 PM

It would make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

The world should have never allowed Isreal, India, and Pakistan to have nukes! Now every M.E. and 3rd world country's wants Nukes.:disbelief:

rastaman
11-13-2011, 08:52 PM

Dam the Military Industrial Complex (MIC) they are always on a war footing/looking at the next 3rd world country to attack or occupy. Where will it end!:disbelief:

Bill Cosby
11-14-2011, 12:12 AM
How many democrats who are questioning republicans warmongering today. will question Obama is HE actually starts the war?

I'm betting that few to none will .. at least not until the ignorance of it hits home.

I think some will, but not enough.....

The best way to shut up the position was to have a dem in the white house doing it................

There is no real labor or peace movement w/in that party-SAD!!!!