PDA

View Full Version : Incredible photos of a French test of a hydrogen bomb

Bill
11-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Freakishly beautiful.

http://flickr.com/photos/7969902@N07/510672745/in/set-72157600253743362/

I've momentarily replaced my desktop backgroud with the first pic - a haunting reminder of the power of modern weapons. I don't know if I'll keep it, it's a little too haunting.

(my desktop photo had been one of this spring's incredible giant comet McNaught, taken from a beach in australia. McNaught was mostly only visible in the southern hemisphere, altho I saw it once for a few seconds at sunset, a perfect classic naked eye tailed comet.)

http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~rmn/C2006P1.htm

Kinky Jones
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
i was just talking the other day with a buddy who served with my brother in Iraq and we came to the conclusion that if the world is gonna end by human hands we wanna see it first hand, why let the future hog all the fun? dying of natural causes isnt fun anyways, and my granpa told me we are all gonna kill ourselves soon and he is the smartest man i've ever met so fuck it let's nuke Iran and see what happens

Bill
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
so fuck it let's nuke Iran and see what happens

There's a beter then even chance that we'll see just that.

It will be penetrators with micronukes, tho. To take out their underground complexes.

Unless Iran is farther ahead than anyone believes and pops a fission bomb over US troops invading Iran. Then we'll see a mushroom cloud over tehran.

I imagine it will look something like these photos.

Kinky Jones
11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
I imagine it will look something like these photos.
that's what i wanna see in person, since it's gonna happen anyways let's roll! if you ain't goin' get outta the way! evil needs to be stopped because we are the "good" people :lmao2:

juggernaut
11-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Bill is this photo even real? It says the photo was taking in July 3 1970 (2 days after I dropped out of a vigina mind you lol) @ 1830 hrs. That's 6:30 PM in the middle of the summer. Yet when you look over the image the entire skyline is blacked out, as if it's nighttime. That bomb is midway threw its explosion that ony takes seconds. I'm not a bomb tech but I would think it would take a few minutes after the blast for something like that to completely turn a daytime sky to night. In most summer seasons, it wont get fully dark out until long after 6:30. 6:30 pm is an end of summer sunset, until we turn the clocks back. Like now, where I am it gets completely nighttime at 5:30. Also if you look over the detail of the image. I'm not sure if color film technology was at that level back then. Heck it was only a few years before then we landed on the moon. Yet those images are in B&W. If the color film was able to produce images like these back then. I'm sure they would have used it in the moon landing. I was a photographer for 10 years and in order to get that type of detail in such low light conditions, you are stuck between a rock and a hardplace. You can use a fast speed film to stop the action of the blast, but you lose detail. You can use a slow speed film to get the detail like asa 50 or 25. On that note you would never be able to catch (freeze) a bombs blast on those films because of their slow asa. The blast itself would be blurred if captured at all because with the slow asa, the shutter would need to stay open for a long period of time in regards to the film itself. IE 1/4 of a second is a long film exsposure time. But in relation to a blast it's nothing in time.
I know this really did happen. I just think the photo is doctored just a little to make an impact on the viewer.

Bill
11-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, what I remember about those photos is that they were scans of commercially available postcards from the south pacific - the guy scanned the postcards, and that's what we're seeing. But I didn't investigate any further than that.

Cat slave
11-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Beautiful comet shot! As for the other, I have nothing to say but eeeekk!
Isnt hydrogen worse than atomic? Of course when it gets that big I guess the
degree of difference doesnt matter.

My desktop is a pic of my waterfall and stream. I am earthbound.:)