PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon vacation get away

AnthonyC
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Who vacations in lebanon??? Now US is racing to bring the happy campers back :confused:

Will this effect our ever so rising gas prices too? :mad:

Cleo
07-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Someone who craves a little danger in their vacation I guess.

AnthonyC
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
talk about thrill seekers :(

Linkster
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
It shouldnt have any effect on gas prices in the real world since neither country involved has any oil production - however - all you have to say to wall street and fund managers are the words "middle east conflict" and the dollar signs light up :)

AnthonyC
07-24-2006, 01:22 PM
It shouldnt have any effect on gas prices in the real world since neither country involved has any oil production - however - all you have to say to wall street and fund managers are the words "middle east conflict" and the dollar signs light up :)

hahaha Exactly :eek:

Tommy
07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
all I know is my stocks took a beating

I am thinking of getting out of the market and going back to buying domain names

Dave K
07-24-2006, 02:14 PM
I thought it was very funny how Bush flew the Bin Ladens out of the country after 9/11 but now they wanted to charge Americans 3 thousand dollars to evacuate

CatsEye
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
talk about thrill seekers :(

Somehow I doubt the 50,000 Canadians and 25,000 Americans there are all thrill-seeking vacationers. Sure, radio interviews play that angle for some drama ratings pathos; lumping the whiny woman they interviewed on NPR who was on vacation with the majority of the U.S. citizens there isn't helpful. It's not a place I'd bring small children, but those who chose to vacation there weren't planning on going to an all-out shooting warzone, and they have family/friends there, or were likely from that country originally. A lot of Lebanese Americans return there for weddings or funerals of family members who insisted on staying there. What about all the university professors, doctors, exchange students, scientists, businessmen sent over by their American companies to work as consultants, managers, or to negotiate business acquisitions or deals, employees of the American Foreign Service, diplomatic staff, support personnel and families, etc.?

I don't care why our citizens are there - they're being bombed by our military ally who's gone batshit insane, using our hardware to do it. I swear we were able to evacuate more people per hour outta Saigon back in '75...and without charging them. IMHO We should be billing Israel for any and all costs related to this evacuation, or just withhold it from the money we keep doling out to them year after year. Hey, maybe the Pentagon can fund it from the profits they made selling $210 million dollars worth of JP-8 aviation fuel to 'em this month.

Moby
07-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Before the wars Lebanon was a prime place to visit with beautiful land scape. Lebanese food, music and hospitality and also all known to be wonderful.

juggernaut
07-27-2006, 12:24 AM
What about all the university professors, doctors, exchange students, scientists, businessmen sent over by their American companies to work as consultants, managers, or to negotiate business acquisitions or deals, employees of the American Foreign Service, diplomatic staff, support personnel and families, etc.? All people who leave any country should read their state department website to know what's really going on in that country. How can anyone in todays world think that it would be safe to go to a mideast country for any reason is beyond me. Even if you are from the mideast.

I don't care why our citizens are there - they're being bombed by our military ally who's gone batshit insane, using our hardware to do it. I swear we were able to evacuate more people per hour outta Saigon back in '75...and without charging them. IMHO We should be billing Israel for any and all costs related to this evacuation, or just withhold it from the money we keep doling out to them year after year. Hey, maybe the Pentagon can fund it from the profits they made selling $210 million dollars worth of JP-8 aviation fuel to 'em this month.You really should read more then one news paper and watch more then 1 tv show to know what's really going on. Let's take a break here and think like this. Let's say mexico amased a shit load of rockets along the US boarder and then took 2 soldiers hostage months after we gave them everything they wanted because we were pressured to from other world governments. Do you think Americans would put up with that? Let's not bash Israel here. I'm not a fan of some of the things they have done in the past either but fact is all this shit started way long before nam. Those wars have been raging long before we had TV and Radio. All this shit over sand over some supposed holy land granted to people from God? Please! The only God there is now is $$$. As far as rolling out our people there are major issues involed. 1) we are not well liked in the mideast so rolling in military convoys to get people out is not easy. Lots of times our military is not allowed to carry 1 weapon durring such an operation. (Surly you can understand a commanders concern with sending any of his troops to the mideast with no weapons) 2) We had to contract with cruise liners, you think the owners of those companies do not want some kind of contract with the US that if by chance one of their ships are sunk do to a rocket they will get their 400 million back for the lost boat? Those contacts take time, and for someone in the government 2 days to contact is fast as hell.

dana
08-05-2006, 01:14 PM
All people who leave any country should read their state department website to know what's really going on in that country. How can anyone in todays world think that it would be safe to go to a mideast country for any reason is beyond me. Even if you are from the mideast.

Would that be the same Dept of State headed by Rice? It was fairly safe until cowboy decider decided to invade Iraq.

You really should read more then one news paper and watch more then 1 tv show to know what's really going on. Let's take a break here and think like this. Let's say mexico amased a shit load of rockets along the US boarder and then took 2 soldiers hostage months after we gave them everything they wanted because we were pressured to from other world governments. Do you think Americans would put up with that?

Before disparaging others, you should take you own advise. In the days leading up to the abduction of the soldiers, the Israelis killed a Palestinian family, in their home in Gaza, with an errant missile. Picture a lone small child emerging from the rubble of the bombed home. Using your example and assuming we are occupying Mexico, what should the Mexicans do if we bombed one of their innocent families? What would you do?

Let's not bash Israel here. I'm not a fan of some of the things they have done in the past either but fact is all this shit started way long before nam. Those wars have been raging long before we had TV and Radio. All this shit over sand over some supposed holy land granted to people from God?

You're not much of a history buff, are you?

Please! The only God there is now is $$$. As far as rolling out our people there are major issues involed. 1) we are not well liked in the mideast so rolling in military convoys to get people out is not easy. Lots of times our military is not allowed to carry 1 weapon durring such an operation. (Surly you can understand a commanders concern with sending any of his troops to the mideast with no weapons) 2) We had to contract with cruise liners, you think the owners of those companies do not want some kind of contract with the US that if by chance one of their ships are sunk do to a rocket they will get their 400 million back for the lost boat? Those contacts take time, and for someone in the government 2 days to contact is fast as hell.

To you and the American oil interests in the area, the only God is $$$. For the people living there and those whose religious beliefs originate from that area, it is THE Holy Land and home. The battles over that sand helped shape the world we live in today long before oil became the major concern. And yes, this has been going on since before Nam. Long before. Several thousand years before. However, the US and British set off the current round of conflicts after WWI by partitioning the Middle East without much consideration for the residents of the various regions or their tribal and historical ties to that sand.

As for your misguided statements 1) and 2), just so you know, it used to be the mission and duty of the US State department to provide assistance and protection for US citizens abroad when possible. You and I payed for this with our taxes. At the behest of State, our military should have rescued all of our citizens without collecting a service fee. More bush bullshit.

Who is wrong in this conflict is not for you or me to say. Who started it, only God knows. Who has continually and inappropriately meddled in this conflict and in this region, we have.