PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Technology de-evolution

Udo Dirkschneider
03-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I was perusing that computer geek thread and I felt the need to rant about the topic. I rant about this often at work and at home so I thought I'd share my valuable introspect with you.

Some may agree, some may disagree - I really don't give a fuck, but I'm absolutely convinced we're moving backwards on the consumer technology front. Used to be you could buy a computer, plug it in and it worked. Buy some spreadsheet software, buy some gaming software, buy a couple of computer gadgets and bam - they all worked great.

20 or so years later when you would think we would be so far advanced beyond that point where computers are solving most of our daily troubles, they're not. Nothing fucking works anymore and you have to have a fucking masters in whatever to get even the simple stuff done.

Every couple years, Microsoft introduces a new operating platform and every couple years shit stops working en masse. Turn the computer on and you get a plethora of messages. Yeah, if you want to spend a week figuring out what they mean and how to fix them, great - you have too much time on your hands. If you're like me and need to get shit done without fucking with every little aspect, then you're fucked.

Load that software and find out it's not compatible with 7. Spend a day trying to figure it out and get nothing solved, so do it manually.

Load that game, spend an hour downloading drivers and patches and it still doesn't work.

Even simple shit like clicking an embedded link in a spreadsheet that used to take you right to the internet to that site doesn't work.

And all of these new releases are purely for the benefit of Microsoft. If anyone uses Excel like I do, you'll know that all they did with the recent release is move shit around so you can't find anything anymore and it takes you 5 times as long to maneuver through a spreadsheet than it used to.

All for the sake of making money by forcing people who don't know how to use the shit in the first place to buy the new version.

It's all about continuing to sell the same product and making it look better by making it more complicated than it has to be.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to figuring shit out but when you have a full plate of issues to deal with like I do on a daily basis - who has time to spend on figuring out simple tasks?

Technology should be all about making shit easier for me, it's not about that - it's about selling me the same shit I already know and shuffling it around to make it more complicated and forcing me to buy yet more hardware and ancillary software to try to get the shit they sold me in the first place to work.

Technological de-evolution.

California Chrome
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
If anyone uses Excel like I do, you'll know that all they did with the recent release is move shit around so you can't find anything anymore and it takes you 5 times as long to maneuver through a spreadsheet than it used to.The new version is terrible. That goes for the entire Office suite, not just Excel. It was like learning an entire new software program.

hd79
03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
One, among the many reasons why I use Linux, specifically Ubuntu.

But then, oftentimes you do have to figure out how to make things work, or visit the forums often.

Udo Dirkschneider
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
One, among the many reasons why I use Linux, specifically Ubuntu.

But then, oftentimes you do have to figure out how to make things work, or visit the forums often.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking techies. I'm not a techie, I don't care or have time to be one, but I'm not an idiot either. I can figure shit out like you couldn't believe, but my time is better spent on figuring issues out rather than figuring out the tools to help me do my job.

Technology as far as I'm concerned should be a tool, not a task. It has gone from being a tool to being a task. In my perfect world, shit works. A reasonably intelligent person such as myself would be able to figure out basic and intermediate tasks without the use of manuals. Advanced shit would follow in time but it's gotten so complicated that even basic tasks are a chore.

I have a full plate at what I do, I don't have time to fart around with solving basic problems, I have to get at the core of issues. You can't do that anymore like you used to when computers became popular.

It's a marketing issue and that's what pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

hd79
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh, I quite Agree! i did not intend it to sound as though I wasn't. its just that I prefer open source, as I said for many reasons, chief among them, one of my desires is to not make Gates or his Corp any richer, at least not off my dime at any rate.

Having stated the above however, I am fully aware, realistically speaking, the world runs under Windows in the business community, at least, so I harbor no illusions there.

And I quite agree that by now, in the year 2011, technology should "just work"

Still aways off from just asking "computer", as in Star Trek.

Udo Dirkschneider
03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Oh, I quite Agree! i did not intend it to sound as though I wasn't. its just that I prefer open source, as I said for many reasons, chief among them, one of my desires is to not make Gates or his Corp any richer, at least not off my dime at any rate.

Having stated the above however, I am fully aware, realistically speaking, the world runs under Windows in the business community, at least, so I harbor no illusions there.

And I quite agree that by now, in the year 2011, technology should "just work"

Still aways off from just asking "computer", as in Star Trek.

"Just asking the computer" - if that isn't profitable, it won't ever become reality.

You do know that Gates named his company after his manhood?

Micro... soft

I'm not that much unlike you. IE is a pain in the ass. If it's not shoving ads and marketing tactics in your face, it's micromanaging your online experience to Microsoft's benefit. I use Firefox for that reason and have less trouble with it. Even convinced my wife to use Firefox and she thinks I'm a conspiracy theorist. Firefox isn't perfect, but it's the best option that I've seen.

Just look at smart phones - that technology is outpacing it's usefulness. As soon as the best hits the market, it's replaced with the new "the best". I don't know who has the kind of coin to drop on that shit - I would rather spend my money on something more practical. I still use a flip phone. I don't want my email hooked up to it - I get too much of it already and don't want that shit nagging me when I'm offline, and when I want to surf the web - I get on my laptop.

Hell, I don't even want phone calls either, but you need to be somewhat accessible.

hd79
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
:lmao2:

the "Micro.....soft" joke was a good one!

Yeah, I'm probably not exactly the conventional "geek" as I do not posses a smartphone, though I do have an iPod touch. I've been debating on the iPad, but as the new model was released this afternoon, I decided to hold off on that.

Speaking of marketing, it seems Apple has been doing one bang up job of excelling in that area, lately!

I can have my emails forwarded to my iPod, but I do need to be near a wifi connection,
though to be quite honest, I probably IM or skype more often than using email anymore. I quite agree concerning the pace of the rapid advancement. It seems as though once you byte, the next goal is to lure you into the next model or release, even if one truly doesn't need the new "bells and whistles"

I do enjoy technology, but not at the expense of having to have every new toy and version that comes out.

Udo Dirkschneider
03-11-2011, 10:40 PM
:lmao2:

the "Micro.....soft" joke was a good one!

Yeah, I'm probably not exactly the conventional "geek" as I do not posses a smartphone, though I do have an iPod touch. I've been debating on the iPad, but as the new model was released this afternoon, I decided to hold off on that.

Speaking of marketing, it seems Apple has been doing one bang up job of excelling in that area, lately!

I can have my emails forwarded to my iPod, but I do need to be near a wifi connection,
though to be quite honest, I probably IM or skype more often than using email anymore. I quite agree concerning the pace of the rapid advancement. It seems as though once you byte, the next goal is to lure you into the next model or release, even if one truly doesn't need the new "bells and whistles"

I do enjoy technology, but not at the expense of having to have every new toy and version that comes out.

Yeah, believe it or not - I made that MS joke up myself.

I used to want to support Apple but I'm not sure at this point. It seems like they're doing the same thing MS is doing - except in another platform.

I guess I just have to sit here and wait until someone figures out that simplicity and practicality sells, unless it doesn't - then I'm fucked.

Might have to pull out my TI BA II. Hope I can still buy batteries for it.

hd79
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, Apple stock is around $85-88, somewhere in that area?
They've been riding high on top of the wave for quite a while now. Not certain for how much longer it will be sustainable.

I somewhat agree concerning Apple, but it seems they've been pouring their resources into the consumer "toys", the iPods, iPads, and the like, and I am not certain if the development of the Client has suffered, but the Server OS definitely has suffered, imo.

It does seem so far, that from Mac OS 10.3-10.6, it seems the interface and user experience has basically been the same. Not certain about Lion, 10.7 as I haven't seen it yet, but have heard rumors that the Client OS of 10.7 is going to include a version of the Server now.

For the ease of use category, Apple does seem to be the winner there, for the last few years at any rate, but there "stuff" is also higher priced than PC's.

Apple does seem to be following the consumer driven model, though so I guess one will need to "see how it goes"

Bill Cosby
03-12-2011, 12:57 AM
A few thoughts....... I use to have lots of issues w/ all that mostly cuase I was downloading lots of stuff etc......

Now I run as lean as possible...........

I use office 2000 still, excel word etc is fine... No problems..

I run XP, I ran windows 98 till it was almost impossible. Upgrading anything windows is an invitation to frustration & problems......

I don't know any other company that would make a product, sell it & have you tell them the bugs so they can fix & patch the shit, then fix the patch, then, then, then................:banghead:

My next laptop will be an apple.......:disbelief:

ClFXqqFz9Yw

Keyser Soze
03-12-2011, 09:08 AM
A few thoughts....... I use to have lots of issues w/ all that mostly cuase I was downloading lots of stuff etc......

Now I run as lean as possible...........

I use office 2000 still, excel word etc is fine... No problems..

I run XP, I ran windows 98 till it was almost impossible. Upgrading anything windows is an invitation to frustration & problems......

I don't know any other company that would make a product, sell it & have you tell them the bugs so they can fix & patch the shit, then fix the patch, then, then, then................:banghead:

My next laptop will be an apple.......:disbelief:

ClFXqqFz9Yw

That's exactly why I have a Mac...I just need to learn how to use it :D .

EldonG
03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm a geek from way back, and I'll agree with the premise of this thread, and even go as far as to say I'm a bit surprised.

In general, Windows is supposed to be more end user friendly, as the newer releases come out...and a lot of folks seem to just eat it up, based on that...but it's progressivley harder to get under the hood of the beast and do the tech work...every new release makes it hidden that much deeper, and trashes the old tools a tech has gotten good with...while compounding the problems.

I'd heard that Windows 7 was actually an improvement, after dropping farther and farther into techie hell...Vista is the worst garbage to ever exist, from a sane tech's point of view...but I have yet to get 'under the hood' of 7, to speak of. There are defininately days I miss tweaking DOS, and browsing with Lynx...tech work was much simpler, back then.

Keyser Soze
03-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm a geek from way back, and I'll agree with the premise of this thread, and even go as far as to say I'm a bit surprised.

In general, Windows is supposed to be more end user friendly, as the newer releases come out...and a lot of folks seem to just eat it up, based on that...but it's progressivley harder to get under the hood of the beast and do the tech work...every new release makes it hidden that much deeper, and trashes the old tools a tech has gotten good with...while compounding the problems.

I'd heard that Windows 7 was actually an improvement, after dropping farther and farther into techie hell...Vista is the worst garbage to ever exist, from a sane tech's point of view...but I have yet to get 'under the hood' of 7, to speak of. There are defininately days I miss tweaking DOS, and browsing with Lynx...tech work was much simpler, back then.

Ahhhh, now DOS I knew how to use! I've been around computers since the computer at the Prudential South Central Home Office in JAX used an ENTIRE top floor to house it's computer....ha...that's a long time.

It took a while to learn how to deal with home computing...mostly because I never had the time until I couldn't work anymore.

Bill Cosby
03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
That's exactly why I have a Mac...I just need to learn how to use it :D .

I have not had one in many years but I do recall they were always much, much easier to handle........ Things were pretty basic......

Much fewer virus issues, conflicts etc.......

The only reason I switched over way back when was the availably of apps & games etc......

I think it is disgusting that we allow microsux to have almost a virtual monopoly on operating system.........

Keyser Soze
03-12-2011, 02:16 PM
It is easy to use and I've had zero problems that I used to have...NONE...trouble free. It's wonderful.

hd79
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM

I believe Windows 7 is an improvement, but I believe what the OP was referring to was the interface changes, specifically with the new Ribbon interface in Office, though I believe he mentioned Excel, specifically.

I don't know, I've heard the gamut on that, from people that absolutely can't stand the ribbon interface, to those who didn't like it at first but now do like it, all the way to those who loved it when it came out.

I guess it can make some of the things one was used to doing a little more cumbersome, or you now have to learn to perform some of the operations and functions all over again, similar to starting over from scratch.

Overall, though I do believe Windows 7 was an improvement, especially over Vista.

But as I mentioned previously, I run Linux at home and on some servers, as I prefer open source, so I use Open Office on my Linux machine at home, and it works for what I require.

Bill Cosby
03-12-2011, 03:39 PM
It is easy to use and I've had zero problems that I used to have...NONE...trouble free. It's wonderful.

How long have you had it?? What did you get??

Keyser Soze
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
It's a Mac OS X Version 10.6.6 with Leopard...I think I've had it 2 years...It has a lot of functions that I haven't learned to use yet...I'm slowly taking the time to sit down and do it. I'm sure you'd have it mastered in no time and be producing movies and music, literally.

I have way more computing power than I need or use and it's fast. I love it.

hd79
03-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Actually if you have 10.6 and above you have Snow Leopard.

Not sure how the 'cat" thing ever started, but they are going to run out of those names eventually, one would think.

Do you have a laptop, such as a MacBook or MacBook Pro, or did you get a desktop, like the Mac Pro?

Keyser Soze
03-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Actually if you have 10.6 and above you have Snow Leopard.

Not sure how the 'cat" thing ever started, but they are going to run out of those names eventually, one would think.

Do you have a laptop, such as a MacBook or MacBook Pro, or did you get a desktop, like the Mac Pro?

Yes, Snow Leopard...beautiful animal :D I know nothing about any 'cat' thing..."just a user here"...and not a particularly informed one anymore.

Laptop, MacBook...I think the MacBook Pro cost more and this was as high as I could go in cost.

I love the new stuff...the desktop is awesome with the slim screens and wireless connection for the keyboard etc. very nice. I like my laptop for what I use it for.