PDA

View Full Version : 'NAKED LUNCH' MAY BE BANNED

Peregrine
10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Friday, October 5, 2007
GREENVILLE, Maine - The Black Frog Restaurant's version of the "Naked Lunch" may soon be banned, sharing the fate of William Burroughs' novel of that name.

A sandwich called the Skinny Dip, featuring sliced prime rib in a baguette roll, has been offered free of charge to anyone willing to plunge naked from the restaurant's dock into Moosehead Lake.

Since the free sandwich offer was introduced three years ago, owner Leigh Turner has found plenty of takers. "We've had two or three a week," he said.

During that time only one patron has suggested the activity was inappropriate, Turner said. However, that patron apparently suggested to selectmen recently that the activity be curtailed.

The naked lunch issue surfaced this week when Town Manager John Simko presented the Black Frog's application to renew its liquor license. Simko said he had been approached about the nudity and suggested that Police Chief Scott MacMaster speak to the owner about it.

Turner did not attend the selectmen's meeting, but said he would remove the free lunch offer if asked to do so.

The skinny dip was typically done at night, no frontal nudity was exposed to customers and a towel was readily available, Turner said.

"Most everybody applauded" when patrons took the plunge, he added.

---

Information from: Bangor Daily News, http://www.bangornews.com

LadyMod at scam.com
10-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Friday, October 5, 2007
GREENVILLE, Maine - The Black Frog Restaurant's version of the "Naked Lunch" may soon be banned, sharing the fate of William Burroughs' novel of that name.

A sandwich called the Skinny Dip, featuring sliced prime rib in a baguette roll, has been offered free of charge to anyone willing to plunge naked from the restaurant's dock into Moosehead Lake.

Since the free sandwich offer was introduced three years ago, owner Leigh Turner has found plenty of takers. "We've had two or three a week," he said.

During that time only one patron has suggested the activity was inappropriate, Turner said. However, that patron apparently suggested to selectmen recently that the activity be curtailed.

The naked lunch issue surfaced this week when Town Manager John Simko presented the Black Frog's application to renew its liquor license. Simko said he had been approached about the nudity and suggested that Police Chief Scott MacMaster speak to the owner about it.

Turner did not attend the selectmen's meeting, but said he would remove the free lunch offer if asked to do so.

The skinny dip was typically done at night, no frontal nudity was exposed to customers and a towel was readily available, Turner said.

"Most everybody applauded" when patrons took the plunge, he added.

---

Information from: Bangor Daily News, http://www.bangornews.com

OH MAN! Betty Blowtorch missed her big chance.

:lmao2:

paulm
10-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Friday, October 5, 2007

=== edited ===

*lol* Sounds like a bar my brother used to frequent when he was stationed in Alaska on his first USCG tour of duty.

anubis
10-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I saw the movie and read the book - tried that is, with both medias. It was a stange, convulted arrangement.
William Burroughs, when he was living, literally traveled all over the world to find the ULTIMATE Psychedelic Drug. He even wrote about this and his experiences.
He was one of a number of individuals that were you might say in a "constellated group" of the early 1950's. Jack Kerouak was another, as well as Paul Bowles, Alan Ginsburg [wrote "Howl"], many others. Their "home base", their hang-out was the City Lights Bookstore in SanFrancisco, California.
They would meet in groups on certain days/nights and recite poetry and prose, often to Blues and Jazz Music. They were solidly the "Beat Generation" geuine articles. Many of these same individuals eventually wound up together in Paris, France. New York had its "Greenwhich Village" Beatnik scene which rivaled SanFrancisco and Paris.
The way that Burroughs created a lot of the material for the Naked Lunch scenario was to take magazines at random, tear out the pages, then use a straight-edge and tear these pages into one inch [approx.] sections. He would then put these in a container, thoroughly mix them up, then take the strips out one at a time and paste them up on a blank 8x10 sheet of paper. Then, he would take this material as the pages were randomnly selected and type this material, page after page. When finsihed, he had his complete book.
Talk about something that would "cook your brain" if you tried to read it and stay with it; something like this certainly would.
By the way - Burroughs shot and killed his wife in Mexico City at one of their partys where he decided to play the "WIlliam-Tell" game: William Tell was the supposed legendary Archer that shot the apple off of his sons head using a Bow and Arros. Burroughs modified this by having his wife place a jigger of whiskey on her head, which he then commenced to attmept to shoot off with a thirty-eight caliber revolver. He shot low - the round took off the top of her head. He beat it out of Mexico before the authorities could really collect theirself in regard to what this crazy American had done to his wife. Part of their hesitation was that she voluntairly allowed him to attempt to shoot the glass off of her head...:disbelief:

Peregrine
10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I saw the movie and read the book - tried that is, with both medias. It was a stange, convulted arrangement.
William Burroughs, when he was living, literally traveled all over the world to find the ULTIMATE Psychedelic Drug. He even wrote about this and his experiences.
He was one of a number of individuals that were you might say in a "constellated group" of the early 1950's. Jack Kerouak was another, as well as Paul Bowles, Alan Ginsburg [wrote "Howl"], many others. Their "home base", their hang-out was the City Lights Bookstore in SanFrancisco, California.
They would meet in groups on certain days/nights and recite poetry and prose, often to Blues and Jazz Music. They were solidly the "Beat Generation" geuine articles. Many of these same individuals eventually wound up together in Paris, France. New York had its "Greenwhich Village" Beatnik scene which rivaled SanFrancisco and Paris.
The way that Burroughs created a lot of the material for the Naked Lunch scenario was to take magazines at random, tear out the pages, then use a straight-edge and tear these pages into one inch [approx.] sections. He would then put these in a container, thoroughly mix them up, then take the strips out one at a time and paste them up on a blank 8x10 sheet of paper. Then, he would take this material as the pages were randomnly selected and type this material, page after page. When finsihed, he had his complete book.
Talk about something that would "cook your brain" if you tried to read it and stay with it; something like this certainly would.
By the way - Burroughs shot and killed his wife in Mexico City at one of their partys where he decided to play the "WIlliam-Tell" game: William Tell was the supposed legendary Archer that shot the apple off of his sons head using a Bow and Arros. Burroughs modified this by having his wife place a jigger of whiskey on her head, which he then commenced to attmept to shoot off with a thirty-eight caliber revolver. He shot low - the round took off the top of her head. He beat it out of Mexico before the authorities could really collect theirself in regard to what this crazy American had done to his wife. Part of their hesitation was that she voluntairly allowed him to attempt to shoot the glass off of her head...:disbelief:
I don't think we are talking about the same things. But hey, learn something new everyday...strange I came up in the sixties but don't remember the book or story...going to put on my list of books to read when I get around to the library. Sounds like a good read!!:laugh:

Linkster
10-06-2007, 05:55 PM
It was an important book at its time - since it was banned for sexual content in the US for 3 years - the obscenity charges that were brought were found by the supreme court to be freedom of expression of speech and actually was the last book banned in the US. It also led to the ability to curse on tv and radio so it is really considered a huge "literary event" as far as legal cases go in the US

Linkster
10-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Should have added - the idea of calling the resturaunts events by the book title is probably very ironic now due to the police response to a freedom of expression issue

anubis
10-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Should have added - the idea of calling the resturaunts events by the book title is probably very ironic now due to the police response to a freedom of expression issue

The remnants of the Puritanical Witch Hunter tendency has yet to disappear from the fabric of our American society.
There is one political party in particular that aligns itself with those that have this tendency.
At the risk of straying off subject here, had a few "guffaws" this morning from the t.v. news - seems Humpty Dumpty is falling off the wall at Oral Roberts University. Some material mentioned:

- the Roberts daughter was flown to the Bahamas on her vacation on the Universities private jet, which is intended for business use only. There has been abuse by others of this aircraft for personal pleasure purposes.:disbelief:
- Ms. Roberts has typically unusally high Cell Phone bills. It was mentioned that she is know to quite frequently text message younger men than she is in the early morning hours. Damn - get the Viagara Richard!!:D I believe they used the term "under-age". I don't want to go there if it is what that usually implies...

- some funds intended for support of the University have been "misappropriated" which is usually a code word for stolen...

for reference to theis stories see CNN news website.

It is typically individuals such as this that support police going and arresting people for "indecent exposure" even though they weren't present to witness the act. And besides it was a night into the water - big deal.

anubis
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
p.s. the solo Jet travel bill for the Robert's Daughter and small party to the Bahamas for "vacation" was a little less than fifty dollars short of costing $30,000.00.:disbelief:

Peregrine
10-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Who knew!!!! I didn't.

Peregrine
10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
The remnants of the Puritanical Witch Hunter tendency has yet to disappear from the fabric of our American society.
There is one political party in particular that aligns itself with those that have this tendency.
At the risk of straying off subject here, had a few "guffaws" this morning from the t.v. news - seems Humpty Dumpty is falling off the wall at Oral Roberts University. Some material mentioned:

- the Roberts daughter was flown to the Bahamas on her vacation on the Universities private jet, which is intended for business use only. There has been abuse by others of this aircraft for personal pleasure purposes.:disbelief:
- Ms. Roberts has typically unusally high Cell Phone bills. It was mentioned that she is know to quite frequently text message younger men than she is in the early morning hours. Damn - get the Viagara Oral!:D I believe they used the term "under-age". I don't want to go there if it is what that usually implies...

- some funds intende for support of the University have been "misappropriated" which is usually a code word for stolen...

for reference to theis stories see CNN news website.

It is typically individuals such as this that support police going and arresting people for "indecent exposure" even though they weren't present to witness the act. And besides it was a night into the water - big deal.

Way off thread...You should have started a new one...

anubis
10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks for your brilliant observation...:taunt:
what did I say already? Are you a nag at home, as well?:D

Peregrine
10-09-2007, 07:17 PM
thanks for your brilliant observation...:taunt:
what did I say already? Are you a nag at home, as well?:D

Who's nagging, I just mentioned that you strayed too far off topic...start a new one or are you just too lazy?

anubis
10-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Who's nagging, I just mentioned that you strayed too far off topic...start a new one or are you just too lazy?

Bite me...:lmao2: