PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of giving guns to children

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
What is even more disgusting is this gun was designed for children

US child appeals against being tried for murder as an adult

Jordan Brown, who was 11 when he allegedly killed his father's pregnant fiancee, could face life sentence with no parole

o
o Share2824
o Reddit
o Buzz up

* Ed Pilkington in New York
* guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 25 January 2011 19.00 GMT
* Article history

Jordan Brown, 13, may stand trial as an adult in the US Judges are to rule on whether Jordan Brown, who has been charged with homicide, should be tried as an adult. Photograph: Ho/AFP/Getty Images

Lawyers for a child in Pennsylvania who was 11 when he allegedly shot and killed his father's pregnant fiancee attempted today to persuade an appeals court not to try him as an adult under America's harsh system of juvenile justice.

Unless the lawyers for Jordan Brown who is now aged 13, can convince the judges to change tack, he will be tried in adult court and if convicted will serve an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole. He would become the youngest child in US history to be sentenced to be incarcerated forever.

The US is the only country where juveniles are serving life imprisonment without parole under the so-called "life means life" policy. Only the US and Somalia have refused to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which rules out life sentences with no chance of release for crimes committed before the age of 18.

Brown is accused of having killed Kenzie Houk, in February 2009 at her home in the countryside about 35 miles north-west of Pittsburgh. According to the prosecution, Brown shot her through the back of the head as she slept in her bedroom.

He is then alleged to have got on the school bus and gone to his elementary school as usual.

Houk, 26, was just two weeks away from her due date and her unborn child, who would have been called Christopher, died too. Brown has been charged with two counts of homicide.

Brown allegedly carried out the killing using his own hunting rifle, a shotgun designed specifically for children. The prosecution alleges that the killing was premeditated and they found residue from the gun on Brown's shoulder.

When he was first presented to court Brown was made to wear shackles around his wrists and ankles.

Human rights campaigners are protesting the treatment of Brown as an adult. Amnesty International said the move would be a violation of international law. "It is shocking that anyone this young could face life imprisonment without parole, let alone in a country which labels itself as a progressive force for human rights," said Susan Lee, head of the campaign's Americas operation.

The Sentencing Project, a Washington-based campaign, said no other country had juveniles serving life without parole. "That leads to only two conclusions: either kids in the US are far more violent than those in the rest of the world, or the US has developed uniquely harsh sentences."

At a federal level, the US penal system has been inching towards a more lenient approach to juvenile crime. In 2005 the US supreme court abolished the death penalty for under-18s.

Then last May it ruled that juveniles could not be subjected to life without parole for any crime other than homicide.

But that still leaves about 2,400 prisoners facing permanent imprisonment for homicides committed when they were children.

Pennsylvania, where all juveniles are automatically treated as adults unless a judge decides otherwise, heads the league table of 44 states that hand out the sentence, with about 450 cases.

Houk's death has divided the two families involved in their response to Brown's judicial treatment. The boy's father, Chris Brown, protests his son's innocence and says he has no idea what could await him.

"Try to explain to a 12-year-old what the rest of your life means. It's incomprehensible for him," he told ABC News last year.

The victim's mother, Deborah Houk, has pushed for the toughest sentence for the boy. "I can't stand this 'Oh, he's 11,' 'Oh, his clothes don't fit him,'" she told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review soon after her daughter's death. "He knew what he was doing. He killed my baby."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/25/us-boy-accused-murder-appeals

Citizen
01-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah? What the fuck are you going to do about it asshole?

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 08:33 PM
There you go with those superior debating skills again.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Post one of your "debate" threads then. Just ONE. Go ahead. I'll be waiting with EAGER anticipation.

tristanrobin
01-26-2011, 08:47 PM

HOpefully, work to end avenues for children to get guns.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM

HOW not what.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Still can't "debate" with your own words eh? Retard.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM
How not what.
Legislation would do the trick.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Legislation would do the trick.

Wow 5 whole words. Congratulations you have the writing skills of a 1st grader, retard.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Wow 5 whole words. Congratulations you have the writing skills of a 1st grader, retard.
You really are quite deranged. Seek help.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:08 PM
You might as well respond everything with, "government has to do stuff." It would be more specific.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
You might as well respond everything with, "government has to do stuff." It would be more specific.
And your solution is anarchy.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I just find it absolutely despicable that you use horrible tragedies as a tool to fuel your agenda. Its absolutely repulsive. You should ashamed of yourself. I'm sure the people who are close to you are ashamed of you as well. I might add that someone in particular is a retarded prostitute.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I just find it absolutely despicable that you use horrible tragedies as a tool to fuel your agenda. Its absolutely repulsive. You should ashamed of yourself. I'm sure the people who are close to you are ashamed of you as well. I might add that someone in particular is a retarded prostitute.
These are preventable tragedies that should be called to attention to keep them from happening again.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
These are preventable tragedies that should be called to attention to keep them from happening again.

Keep them from happening again? Since when can government make everything life proof? I still want you to post one fucking story about a crime that has been committed by a legally owned automatic weapon.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Keep them from happening again? Since when can government make everything life proof? I still want you to post one fucking story about a crime that has been committed by a legally owned automatic weapon.
The topic is children having access to firearms.

Citizen
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Let me see I asked 3 questions and got one answer. Go fuck yourself retard.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
You have trouble staying on topic.

tristanrobin
01-26-2011, 10:12 PM

With posts like that, how can you expect anybody to respond to you seriously?

Citizen
01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm trying to derail the billionth shitty thread by this moron.

Hawkeye2j
01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Seriously, seek some help.

ksec
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.bartcop.com/guns-what-kind.jpg

tristanrobin
01-27-2011, 01:51 PM

why try to fuck up a perfectly nice forum with that kind of bunk? If you're not interested in the subject, don't respond. It's so easy.

Roger from Ohio
01-27-2011, 01:58 PM
why try to fuck up a perfectly nice forum with that kind of bunk? If you're not interested in the subject, don't respond. It's so easy.
I dont know why he is allowed.... he is honest with us.... he plans to derail threads that he doesnt agree with. :disbelief:

But we are supposed to believe that he is a smart guy because he watches movies.... BFD.... if I wanted to discuss movies I wouldnt go to a political thread..... I have been here a couple months and I havent seen any of his intelligence leak out. :confused:

I dont get it... why would someone that has an agenda of derailing threads be welcome. :dunno:

Oh well... it isnt my site... Im just a visitor.

Doug Rozenek
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
It seems that many are missing the point. Keeping guns out of childrens hands isn't the problem here.... the problem is that this kid got it into his mind that MURDER was a good idea. If it wasn't a gun, it would have been a knife or poison or any other number of ways to kill someone. Where does a child get the idea that this is acceptable behavior? And don't give me that line of crap about how "he's just a little kid and didn't know any better" ... on that I'll have to say BS. Think back to when you were a kid... didn't you know better? I sure as heck did.

As far as the section of the article that talked about so many serving life sentences blah blah... if it was up to me they'd get to swing from a tree and be done with'm but our "society" has determined that that isn't acceptable so don't cry about jails overflowing you're the cause of that yourselves for not disposing of the trash properly.

that's my humble opinion :)

tristanrobin
01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
you want to HANG children?

jesus

2T
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM

I did already, stupid

2T
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
It seems that many are missing the point. Keeping guns out of childrens hands isn't the problem here.... the problem is that this kid got it into his mind that MURDER was a good idea. If it wasn't a gun, it would have been a knife or poison or any other number of ways to kill someone. Where does a child get the idea that this is acceptable behavior? And don't give me that line of crap about how "he's just a little kid and didn't know any better" ... on that I'll have to say BS. Think back to when you were a kid... didn't you know better? I sure as heck did.

As far as the section of the article that talked about so many serving life sentences blah blah... if it was up to me they'd get to swing from a tree and be done with'm but our "society" has determined that that isn't acceptable so don't cry about jails overflowing you're the cause of that yourselves for not disposing of the trash properly.

far too often we see this arguement made but the stats just aren't there to support it. Simply because those types of hands on killings take something much more malovelent than pulling a trigger from across a room.

Doug Rozenek
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
you want to HANG children?

jesus

No, I want to hang MURDERERS... age is irrelevent sorry.

Citizen
01-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I did already, stupid

No you didn't, retard.

foxbaron
01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Reasonable opinion based on common sense.

A kid his age most definitely should have been brought up knowing the difference between right and wrong. If he didn't or doesn't than that falls back on the parent(s).

If this kid has mental problems I sure don't want him walking around in public.
He has to be pretty cold emotionally of he killed her and then just went on to school. I don't think a brain wired like that is fixable nor would I ever trust him agaoin no matter how much therapy he had or who claimed he was okay. He is a permanent threat to society.

Hawkeye2j
01-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Reasonable opinion based on common sense.

A kid his age most definitely should have been brought up knowing the difference between right and wrong. If he didn't or doesn't than that falls back on the parent(s).

If this kid has mental problems I sure don't want him walking around in public.
He has to be pretty cold emotionally of he killed her and then just went on to school. I don't think a brain wired like that is fixable nor would I ever trust him agaoin no matter how much therapy he had or who claimed he was okay. He is a permanent threat to society.
Keep the damn guns out of the hands of kids! Why is that so difficult to grasp?

Hawkeye2j
01-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Police: Florida boy drops loaded handgun inside pre-kindergarten class
By Greg Botelho, CNN
January 27, 2011 9:16 p.m. EST
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* A pre-K teacher saw a gun fall from a 5-year-old's pocket during class, police say
* The gun did not go off, but the boy was suspended and police are investigating
* The boy told authorities he found the firearm en route to school in his stepdad's car
* Assistant police chief: "The boy is both initially a suspect ... (and) a victim"

(CNN) -- Florida police are trying to figure out how a 5-year-old boy came into possession of a loaded handgun that he dropped inside a pre-kindergarten class.

A female pre-kindergarten teacher at Moseley Elementary School in Palatka was giving a music lesson Tuesday morning when she noticed the small, .22-caliber handgun fall out of the boy's pocket, Assistant Police Chief James Griffith said. The firearm did not go off, and no one was hurt.

But the boy, along with the gun, were promptly brought to school administrators. They alerted school security and police at 9:25 a.m., having determined that there was no immediate danger to the school, which is in Palatka in northeastern Florida.

"The boy is both initally a suspect in this thing, but also a victim," said Griffith. "This is very rare."

The boy told authorities that he found the firearm inside the vehicle that he had come to school in -- one which Griffith said belonged to the youngster's stepfather. Neither the boy or stepfather have been named, the assistant chief said, in order to protect the identity of the child, who is a minor.

Police say they have no indication that the boy made any threats or showed the weapon to anyone during his 30 to 45 minutes in school prior to the incident.

"There was nothing that transpired, as far as threats, showing the weapon off, anything like that," Griffith said. "At this point, we are trying to determine where the child got the gun from, and if any adult was negligent in allowing him to gain access (to it)."

The student was immediately suspended and barred from coming on school grounds pending the outcome of the outcome of the investigation, while the state's Department of Children and Families is also looking into the case.

Putnam County Schools Superintendent Tom Townsend told CNN affiliate WJXT that the problem extends well beyond the youngster.

"This isn't the fault of the 5-year-old," Townsend said. "Someone is responsible for leaving a gun where a 5-year-old can access it, and that's a tragedy and it's inexcusable."

The police investigation could take "anywhere from weeks to months," the assistant chief said, while authorities look at evidence and conduct interviews. The boy's youth isn't much of a complicating factor, with Griffith saying that he "seems intelligent (and is) able to communicate well."

"You're trying to verify their version of what occurred," Griffith said of the child and others central to the case. "Do we have any witnesses to back up what they're saying, those types of things."

While authorities are investigating the case as a serious matter, they're also thankful that it did not turn out worse.

"That's what you always worry about, when a child gets their hand on a gun and its loaded," Griffith said. "The chances of an accidental discharge and someone getting shot by accident -- it's not good."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/27/florida.child.gun/index.html?hpt=T2

olddude
01-29-2011, 09:40 AM
By Greg Botelho, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* A pre-K teacher saw a gun fall from a 5-year-old's pocket during class, police say
* The gun did not go off, but the boy was suspended and police are investigating
* The boy told authorities he found the firearm en route to school in his stepdad's car
* Assistant police chief: "The boy is both initially a suspect ... (and) a victim"

(CNN) -- Florida police are trying to figure out how a 5-year-old boy came into possession of a loaded handgun that he dropped inside a pre-kindergarten class.

A female pre-kindergarten teacher at Moseley Elementary School in Palatka was giving a music lesson Tuesday morning when she noticed the small, .22-caliber handgun fall out of the boy's pocket, Assistant Police Chief James Griffith said. The firearm did not go off, and no one was hurt.

But the boy, along with the gun, were promptly brought to school administrators. They alerted school security and police at 9:25 a.m., having determined that there was no immediate danger to the school, which is in Palatka in northeastern Florida.

"The boy is both initally a suspect in this thing, but also a victim," said Griffith. "This is very rare."

The boy told authorities that he found the firearm inside the vehicle that he had come to school in -- one which Griffith said belonged to the youngster's stepfather. Neither the boy or stepfather have been named, the assistant chief said, in order to protect the identity of the child, who is a minor.

Police say they have no indication that the boy made any threats or showed the weapon to anyone during his 30 to 45 minutes in school prior to the incident.

"There was nothing that transpired, as far as threats, showing the weapon off, anything like that," Griffith said. "At this point, we are trying to determine where the child got the gun from, and if any adult was negligent in allowing him to gain access (to it)."

The student was immediately suspended and barred from coming on school grounds pending the outcome of the outcome of the investigation, while the state's Department of Children and Families is also looking into the case.

Putnam County Schools Superintendent Tom Townsend told CNN affiliate WJXT that the problem extends well beyond the youngster.

"This isn't the fault of the 5-year-old," Townsend said. "Someone is responsible for leaving a gun where a 5-year-old can access it, and that's a tragedy and it's inexcusable."

The police investigation could take "anywhere from weeks to months," the assistant chief said, while authorities look at evidence and conduct interviews. The boy's youth isn't much of a complicating factor, with Griffith saying that he "seems intelligent (and is) able to communicate well."

"You're trying to verify their version of what occurred," Griffith said of the child and others central to the case. "Do we have any witnesses to back up what they're saying, those types of things."

While authorities are investigating the case as a serious matter, they're also thankful that it did not turn out worse.

"That's what you always worry about, when a child gets their hand on a gun and its loaded," Griffith said. "The chances of an accidental discharge and someone getting shot by accident -- it's not good."

In the past 10 years over 400 children have died in hot cars in the US. Georgia ranks 6th for the most deaths.
Besides the risk of hyperthermia, (heat related death), children also are killed or injured due to back-overs, rollaways, trunk even power window strangulation.
Heat related fatalities are especially common during the summer but can happen at any time during the year.
W hole story………. http://www.adamgoldfein.com/2010/09/child-left-alone-dies-hot-car-ga-hyperthermia/

olddude
01-29-2011, 10:01 AM
By Greg Botelho, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Lets just bann bars, cars and stewpid people..

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- Police in Clarksville have arrested a woman in the death of her infant daughter who was left in a hot car on Tuesday.
Related: Watch This Story | Images

City police said Courtni Lee Nichols, 24, of Palmyra left her 3-month-old baby, Faith, in her car, parked at a restaurant while she went next door to the Yes Deer Lounge and went drinking. Nichols was later charged with first-degree murder.
According to court documents, Nichols told police that Faith had been in the car for more than six hours.
Authorities were called late Tuesday afternoon about the unresponsive child.
According to a police affidavit, Nichols visited at least two bars on Tuesday while the child was in the car from 10:15 a.m. until 4:50 p.m.
The child's temperature was 103.8 degrees when she arrived at Gateway Hospital. She was pronounced dead on arrival.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/16828952/detail.html?subid=10106691#-

Roger from Ohio
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Lets just bann bars, cars and stewpid people..

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- Police in Clarksville have arrested a woman in the death of her infant daughter who was left in a hot car on Tuesday.
Related: Watch This Story | Images

City police said Courtni Lee Nichols, 24, of Palmyra left her 3-month-old baby, Faith, in her car, parked at a restaurant while she went next door to the Yes Deer Lounge and went drinking. Nichols was later charged with first-degree murder.
According to court documents, Nichols told police that Faith had been in the car for more than six hours.
Authorities were called late Tuesday afternoon about the unresponsive child.
According to a police affidavit, Nichols visited at least two bars on Tuesday while the child was in the car from 10:15 a.m. until 4:50 p.m.
The child's temperature was 103.8 degrees when she arrived at Gateway Hospital. She was pronounced dead on arrival.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/16828952/detail.html?subid=10106691#-
What should we do with people like you? If stupid was illegal you would get a life sentence.

So your solution to kids having access to guns is to get rid of cars? :confused: :confused:

Do you think the step father should be punished for not having a loaded fire arm under control?

olddude
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
What should we do with people like you? If stupid was illegal you would get a life sentence.

So your solution to kids having access to guns is to get rid of cars? :confused: :confused:

Do you think the step father should be punished for not having a loaded fire arm under control?

Gun ownership does come with responsibilities just like a lot of other things in our lives. This is the main reason I keep my weapon on my hip because it becomes a habit and I am less likely to make a mistake an leave it laying somewhere that others may come in contact with it. The laws in most cases are so dumb it sets up these kinds of situations. You cant put it in a locked compartment without it being consealed and for that you can get sent off to jail in some states. That means, you either have to have it strapped to your side or laying out in the open to be legal and that can and will lead to accidents like this. Thankfully nothing bad happened in this case and before it’s over hopefully some good will come from it and at least the owner of the weapon will learn a lesson.