PDA

View Full Version : GOP Blocks $250 For Seniors

AK Gandy
12-08-2010, 08:35 PM
It Figures (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola) (click here)

WASHINGTON House and Senate Republicans on Wednesday thwarted Democratic efforts to award $250 checks to Social Security recipients facing a second consecutive year without a cost-of-living increase.

President Barack Obama and Democrats have urged approval of the one-time payment, saying seniors barely getting by on their Social Security checks face undue hardships without the COLA increase.

But most Republicans contended that the nation couldn't afford the estimated $14 billion cost of the payment, and that the COLA freezes in 2010 and 2011 come after seniors received a significant boost in 2009.

Continued tax breaks for the richest 2% we can afford.

But this we can't? :doh:

I see a rallying point.............. that the Dem's should exploit.

Roger from Ohio
12-08-2010, 08:43 PM
They are yelling as loud as they can

California Chrome
12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
It Figures (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_bi_ge/us_social_security_no_cola) (click here)

Continued tax breaks for the richest 2% we can afford.

But this we can't? :doh:

I see a rallying point.............. that the Dem's should exploit.

.You don't understand why the largest tax hikes in history were delayed and the negative impact they could have had on our economy. That's amazing.

AK Gandy
12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
You don't understand why the largest tax hikes in history were delayed and the negative impact they could have had on our economy. That's amazing.

Nice try at spinning it Minty. :doh:

Reread what I said.

There is no way, the continued subsidization of the richest 2% in this country.....is needed to help the economy or create jobs.

All it did was add to the deficit, that those on the right have been whining about.

It seems that you have also forgotten that continuing the tax cuts for the other 98%......has always been the intent. :rolleyes:

So with that reminder, could you please explain your statement? :confused:

Red Dog
12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
You don't understand why the largest tax hikes in history were delayed and the negative impact they could have had on our economy. That's amazing.

3% is the "largest tax hikes in history"?

the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1990 was finally passed. This new proposal replaced some of the fuel taxes with a 10% surtax on the top income tax bracket (thus raising the top marginal tax rate to 31%) and also included new excise taxes on alcohol and tobacco products, automobiles and luxury yachts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Read_my_lips:_no_new_taxes

Moby
12-08-2010, 10:23 PM
That's a nice talking point but according to the rule of law, there would be NO tax hikes. Don't you want to live by the rule of law? :lmao2:

slowhand
12-09-2010, 02:07 AM
I thought that $250 was for ppl who hit the doughnut hole in their Part D medication insurance

I hit the hole in Sept

I had to stop taking 3 medications because of it, and it still costs me $350 per month for the ones that I absolutely cant live without

Im on SSDI..(Im really raking in the cash)..My part time work goes toward my meds

If the $250 means that much to the Repubs, I'll gladly sent it back, and they can shove it up their ass

Roger from Ohio
12-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I thought that $250 was for ppl who hit the doughnut hole in their Part D medication insurance

I hit the hole in Sept

I had to stop taking 3 medications because of it, and it still costs me $350 per month for the ones that I absolutely cant live without

Im on SSDI..(Im really raking in the cash)..My part time work goes toward my meds

If the $250 means that much to the Repubs, I'll gladly sent it back, and they can shove it up their ass
The doughnut hole is a different $250
This $250 is because there wont be a Cost of Living increase again this year. The Republicans say we cant afford it..... but we can afford more tax cuts :thumbsup:

Khristinajane
12-09-2010, 04:22 AM
thanks for a good post .. i am fun with this

sbobet (http://sbobet-online.com)
gclub slot (http://gclub.net)

Cookie
12-09-2010, 04:28 AM

I hit the hole in Sept

I know people like you and my mom could sure use the extra money. $14B to fund the payments sounds like a pittance when they so casually throw around trillions of dollars.

Granted, there are SS recipients who don't need the money, any of it. They are well set up with several pensions coming in...gov has to start doing means testing or the people who rely on SS to survive won't get anything.

slowhand
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
The doughnut hole is a different $250
This $250 is because there wont be a Cost of Living increase again this year. The Republicans say we cant afford it..... but we can afford more tax cuts :thumbsup:

I see, I didnt know about the other $250

kres24GT
12-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Make no mistake, Republicans aren't going to cut spending. They've already caved on unemployment, they will also cave on handouts to seniors.

slowhand
12-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Make no mistake, Republicans aren't going to cut spending. They've already caved on unemployment, they will also cave on handouts to seniors.

How about that..When its THEIR idea, they become the party of yes

California Chrome
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Make no mistake, Republicans aren't going to cut spending. They've already caved on unemployment, they will also cave on handouts to seniors.Caving on UE was the only way to thwart the biggest tax hikes in history.

AK Gandy
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Caving on UE was the only way to thwart the biggest tax hikes in history.

That statement is patently false and typical of the spin being put on.

It was the only way to ensure that the richest 2% of Americans, would not have their taxes go back to what they were. :doh:

California Chrome
12-09-2010, 10:27 AM
That statement is patently false and typical of the spin being put on.

It was the only way to ensure that the richest 2% of Americans, would not have their taxes go back to what they were. :doh:

. 10 years ago. What they were 10 years ago.

The largest tax hikes in history to be resumed during the biggest downturn in the economy since the Great Depression.

Brilliant idea. :doh:

MarkMiller
12-09-2010, 10:33 AM
10 years ago. What they were 10 years ago.

The largest tax hikes in history to be resumed during the biggest turnout in the economy since the Great Depression.

It's a temporary tax cut not a tax hike. Just resuming normal conditions is not a raise.

AK Gandy
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM

The largest tax hikes in history to be resumed during the biggest downturn in the economy since the Great Depression.

Brilliant idea.

You still haven't answered my previous question.

For just a moment, ignore the talking points that are pounded into your head from the right, and please show me how going back to the previous tax rate (which is 4% higher than the current one on income over $250K).....would adversely affect the economy?

Especially since the other 98% of Americans would not have their taxes change. :doh:

I am really anxious to hear your explanation.

kres24GT
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM

More spending is not a fiscally conservative compromise to cutting taxes. So much for Republicans balancing the budget.

doctordog
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Paying people tax money for 3 years not to work is asinine

Red Dog
12-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Already proved this lie, a lie. Bush the senior raised taxes on the top 2% by 10%. 10% is more than 3%. Maybe an abacus would help.

Roger from Ohio
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
This has already been proven to be a lie.... 3-4% is NOT the "biggest tax hike in history:lmao2: :lmao2:

edit.... What Red Dog said.