PDA

View Full Version : Humans Still Think Like Cavemen

disrupter
09-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Modern Humans Retain Caveman's Survival Instincts

Jeanna Bryner
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com Tue Sep 25

Like hunter-gatherers in the jungle, modern humans are still experts at spotting predators and prey, despite the developed world's safe suburbs and indoor lifestyle, a new study suggests.

The research, published online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, reveals that humans today are hard-wired to pay attention to other people and animals much more so than non-living things, even if inanimate objects are the primary hazards for modern, urbanized folks.

The researchers say the finding supports the idea that natural selection molded mechanisms into our ancestors' brains that were specialized for paying attention to humans and other animals. These adaptive traits were then passed on to us.

"We're assuming that natural selection takes a long time to build anything anew and that's why this is left over from our past," said study team member Leda Cosmides, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB).http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070925/sc_livescience/modernhumansretaincavemanssurvivalinstincts;_ylt=A r09xqHAmV3pr62QEM8crS.s0NUE

Is this really news?
Pretty obvious if you ask me.

Might explain the popularity of first person shooter video games,
& the inability to appropriately assign priorities & relevance to social, economic & political issues.

You can take a monkey out of the jungle,
but you can't take the jungle out of the monkey.

Marlboro
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Like hunter-gatherers in the jungle, modern humans are still experts at spotting predators and prey, despite the developed world's safe suburbs and indoor lifestyle, a new study suggests.

Nothing much has changed in the last billion or so years...he he.:lmao2:

Linkster
09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe that explains why I keep getting busted for draggin women out of bars by their hair :disbelief:

Marlboro
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe that explains why I keep getting busted for draggin women out of bars by their hair :disbelief:

Don't worry...I,m laughing...

Moby
09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
This is such bull shit. We did not evolve from anything. We were created just as we are today and lived with dinosaurs 10,000 years ago.

Now please stop trying to explain with science. Everything that you need to know can be explained right here http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

Isn't it time that you stopped thinking for yourself and let someone else do it for you?

Linkster
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
SirMoby - I tried that but the bottles of scotch just got too expensive :)

disrupter
09-29-2007, 06:03 PM
sorry, SirMoby, i forgot my place in the scheme of things,
i forgot i am not supposed to remember things.

Mantra: I am a body devoid of mind
Moby is god, worship & obey Moby
Moby is . . . .