PDA

View Full Version : Katie Couric on CBS News: Good or bad?

RawAlex
09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Well, I watched the first show of the "new" CBS evening news with Katie Kouric, and I would have to say "so what"?

The graphics look mostly like they were lifted from NBC, Katie doesn't strike me as having enough gravis in her presentation to make things serious, and the segments with her in front of the desk rather than behind it make me think more of Dateline NBC than a news program. Even Fox News is smart enough to keep their talking heads behind the furniture where they retain authority.

On the plus side, I can see where this lighter and fluffier news might go over well with some people, and certainly gets them as far away as possible from the hopelessly stuff Dan "What's the frequency Kenneth?" Rather. Think of somewhere between Fox news and Entertainment Tonight, and that is where I think she landed.

Me? Back to NBC and the online sources.

Alex

Tommy
09-05-2006, 08:12 PM
I would have figured you for a CNN guy :-)

RawAlex
09-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Haha... I do watch CNN now and again (happens to be on now, it's late... rerun of Anderson Cooper, running a pretty one sided hatchet job on the President's speech today... the politics of fear). But I have found that while CNN and Fox have the news spread out over an entire day, the evening news (6:30pm here) news is still the best way to get all the news of the day in one shot. The ratio of news to opinion is pretty much as good as it gets.

That is what worries me about the new CBS deal. I saw much more opinion, soft peddling of stories, and putting Katie into that more intimate position out from behind the desk that changes the tone altogether. CBS has been pretty good for keeping opinion in check, but it looks like they are giving in and joining the opinews revolution.

I checked it out again on repeat (west coast feed) and the new CBS deal really does look pretty close to Dateline NBC with a desk.

Bill
09-06-2006, 05:07 AM
The piece on afghanistan and the taliban was okay.

It has always irritated me that we did such a half assed job in afghanistan - this is a pivotal territory, the crossroads between the middle east and india, and we treat it like an afterthought.

Mark my words, our negligence in afghanistan in going to come back to bite us.

And Tom Friedman was okay too - at least he says something intelligent - if this is world war 3 like the republicans are saying, why are we constantly skimping on troops and equipment, and cutting taxes for the rich?

The rest seemed pretty fluffy - but a lot of the news seems fluffy to me.

Bill
09-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow - the second one was pretty bad.

I like how they stuck in an advertisment for GM in the guise of a news clip.

I guess CBS is now the "Security Moms" channel.

RawAlex
09-06-2006, 10:09 PM
I suspect that the next few days is going to look a little bit like a drowning man flailing around trying to find something to hold on to. The ratings for night one were high (at 17, which will probably rank it in the top 10 of all shows for the week), but the critics were without mercy... I personally think they are right.

CBS might do well getting the women viewers to switch over, and in some cases shift the demographics, but overall, I just see a very, very poor copy of a bad MSNBC talk show trying to be news.

.... and tomorrow we get to look forward to Rush "the republicans are gods" Limbaugh spouting his nonsense. The tuneout factor is going to be huge.

Tommy
09-07-2006, 10:43 AM
I watched Keith Olbermann last night instead of O Reilly

and scarborough instead of Hannity

they are much better shows
I think its time to reprogram the dvr

Jesse Hemingway
09-10-2006, 03:03 PM
She swallows

RawAlex
09-10-2006, 04:14 PM
She swallows

Beer? Dinner? Spittle? Please, enlighten us!

Jesse Hemingway
09-10-2006, 04:33 PM
She's a trooper, neocon cum makes KC run the little engine that would; choo chuu all aboard do me in the back sean,rush,wiener,roger,ann, and lufa boy:lmao2: to clean me up, anything to undermine the Constitution!!!

RawAlex
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Okay...

Anyway, I got this off of Drudge this morning:

Katie Couric CBS 'EVENING NEWS' premiered with a 9.1 household, metered market rating and fell continuously thereafter: 9.1--7.0--6.5--4.9. Friday's household rating earned Katie third place... Developing...

Looks like it took less than a week for people to go back to where they came from.