PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance Profits Soar as Industry Mergers Create Near-Monopoly

Thai Kimchi
08-15-2009, 08:06 PM
According to the recently released HCAN report, “Premiums Soaring in Consolidated Health Insurance Market“:

In the past 13 years, more than 400 corporate mergers have involved health insurers, and a small number of companies now dominate local markets but haven’t delivered on promises of increased efficiency. According to the American Medical Association, 94 percent of insurance markets in the United States are now highly concentrated, and insurers are thriving in the anti-competitive marketplace, raking in enormous profits and paying out huge CEO salaries.

These mergers and consolidations have created a marketplace where a small number of larger companies use their power to raise premiums—an average of 87 percent over the past six years—restrict and reduce benefit packages and control and cut provider payments.

http://hcfan.3cdn.net/dadd15782e627e5b75_g9m6isltl.pdf

Bill Cosby
08-15-2009, 08:22 PM
87 percent over the past six years:mad: :mad: :mad:

Any move by it's nature is to make more money..........

When is the last time you watched the corporation......

I watched it again on LINK tv yesterday...........

Every time I watch it I walk away in a kinda daze....

imbedded

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3203253804055041031

Thai Kimchi
08-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Bill - here's a great vid of the Bill Moyers Journal PBS show I watch Friday nights. He's interviewing that Cigna fella Potter from the Truth About The Insurance Industry thread I also started.

It's high time the citizens woke up and quit believing corporate scare tactics, and get these UNNEEDED insurance snake oil salesmen OUT of the picture.

The plans they're kicking around now don't come close to doing that, but they should start us on the road to a health care system devoid of the profit motive.

It's unbelievable to me that in America, a 'for-profit' element is even in the health care arena to begin with. I'm hoping this blatant outrage will eventually become clear to the great unwashed and we'll finally get single payer system maybe 10 years down the road. In the Great American Oligarchy, that's about the best one can hope for.

And doesn't the present system mean that NECESSARILY, by definition, in American society only those with enough money for private insurance plans stay alive, the rest should buck up, go to the ER and jack up everyone else's rates if they think they're dying, and above all show some dignity in their final days and quit bitchin.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07102009/watch2.html

Bill Cosby
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I record him every week to............

I saw that one............:thumbsup:

ThnX for the link.............

Hopefully some that have not seen it will check it out. Diff worth a look/listen...

Surfrider
08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
It's high time the citizens woke up and quit believing corporate scare tactics, and get these UNNEEDED insurance snake oil salesmen OUT of the picture.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07102009/watch2.html

This is true. I have been deeply involved with ObamaCare in Washington and on the Internet. The disinformation is really bad. Would you believe I actually saw a poster challenge the World Health Organization statistic that America is #37 in health care? All the good the WHO does, and these insurance guys, pharmaceutical companies, medical corporations, hospital, and doctors try to drag them through the mud. Enough is enough!

Bill Cosby
08-23-2009, 04:01 PM
This is true. I have been deeply involved with ObamaCare in Washington and on the Internet. The disinformation is really bad. Would you believe I actually saw a poster challenge the World Health Organization statistic that America is #37 in health care? All the good the WHO does, and these insurance guys, pharmaceutical companies, medical corporations, hospital, and doctors try to drag them through the mud. Enough is enough!

Those guys control the argument...........

Say you have a town hall debate/discussion....

Some idiot says a bunch of lies w/ his five minutes.... You got five minutes to clean up those lies.... Prove they are not going to kill gramma to save money on her hip or take Palin's baby in that amount of time & make your own points...

I think it is time to take the initiative....

Surfrider
08-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Those guys control the argument...........

Say you have a town hall debate/discussion....

Some idiot says a bunch of lies w/ his five minutes.... You got five minutes to clean up those lies.... Prove they are not going to kill gramma to save money on her hip or take Palin's baby in that amount of time & make your own points...

I think it is time to take the initiative....

Let's not kid ourselves. The Republican Party may almost be dead, but these insurance, pharmaceutical, and medical corporations have deep pockets, and want to kill ObamaCare, health care for all. The fat-cats are still around, and they remember how the dirty tricks of swift-boat advertising turned Senator John Kerry from war hero into a political radical. John Kerry lost the presidency because of the swift boat television commercial. Even Bill Maher is warning viewers about the power of fat-cat lies on his television show, Real Time. The fat-cats have done it before, and could do it again.

ObamCare, will be hard-ball politics at it's worst. It is time for every Democrat to please write their U. S. Senator in support of ObamaCare.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2008/0806/a_eskinsley_0623.jpg

Bill Cosby
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
They are not almost dead...........

They got lots of money & power...........

They need to loZe on this issue......... Which is to be a beginning not an end in itself...........

anatta
08-23-2009, 09:34 PM
credit card companys will be all having annual fees, to make up for goughing being legislatively controlled.

That's it for me - a debit card - i pay off my balance each month, but if i'm getting hit with fees - i' not using a credit card anymore.

doctordog
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
credit card companys will be all having annual fees, to make up for goughing being legislatively controlled.

That's it for me - a debit card - i pay off my balance each month, but if i'm getting hit with fees - i' not using a credit card anymore.

me neither

Bill Cosby
08-23-2009, 10:06 PM
What fees???

I have several cards..............

doctordog
08-23-2009, 10:14 PM
What fees???

I have several cards..............

Because of the new regulations kicking in regulating fees many card companies without annual fees will not have them. Many will raise introductory rates to cover the lost revenue. I haven't received a letter yet but it wouldn't surprise me.

Bill Cosby
08-23-2009, 10:37 PM
I would assume you have a pretty good credit rating as well....

So is that going to apply to us???

doctordog
08-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I would assume you have a pretty good credit rating as well....

So is that going to apply to us???

I have an excellent one, that won't stop them from trying to recover what they lost with the new legislation

anatta
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I have an excellent one, that won't stop them from trying to recover what they lost with the new legislation
exactly, they can't gouge bad risks anymore ( or onlya modicum of gouging).

They are'nt about to let that revenue stream dry up - so new and creative fees - transaction/conveince, etc. will affect all users.

Bill Cosby
08-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Excellent as in EXCELLENT???

I have a pretty good rating & have never seen a fee like that.... I have never paid to use anyone's card ever....

I was really surprised how good my credit rating was... I pay my cards off every month so I am riding on their dime........... :thumbsup:

Surfrider
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
President Obama is Willing to Be a One-Term President to Pass Health Care

~ Robert Gibbs, President Obama's Press Secretary

See this video!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/08/21/gibbs_obama_willing_to_be_one-term_president_to_pass_health_care.html

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41mpZER1u8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Personal Note; Most people know I am all out for ObamaCare, but this announcement floored me. President Barack Obama thinks health care is so important he is willing to give up a second term to make it pass.

This tells me two things. First, President Obama has courage Americans have seen in a long time. Like him or not, to give up your career to pass health care for the people, you have to respect that. Second, there going to be is a blood-bath to pass ObamaCare, the likes of which Americans have not seen since Social Security became law.

Bill Cosby
08-26-2009, 04:49 AM

See this video!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/08/21/gibbs_obama_willing_to_be_one-term_president_to_pass_health_care.html

Personal Note; Most people know I am all out for ObamaCare, but this announcement floored me. President Barack Obama thinks health care is so important he is willing to give up a second term to make it pass.

This tells me two things. First, President Obama has courage Americans have seen in a long time. Like him or not, to give up your career to pass health care for the people, you have to respect that. Second, there going to be is a blood-bath to pass ObamaCare, the likes of which Americans have not seen since Social Security became law.

He did not say that exactly.... His press sec even said he has not heard him say that exactly...

He goes on to state his opinion...

If Obama did come out & say that & then act accordingly I would be floored as well & be behind him as long as he seems to be progressing & moving in that direction...

Captain Obvious
08-26-2009, 07:16 AM

See this video!

He'll probably not do either.

He's looking like one of these guys that starts every project on the list and finishes none of them - which is fine by me. Personally, I dig capitalism and democracy and American pride and he's attacked those fronts pretty hard.

kres24GT
08-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Big Government is to thank. Big Business will always profit from Big Government. Crazy that people want more government involvement and not less.